Thanks

Default Can you ovulate without having a period?

Is it possible to ovulate without getting a period? My periods are few and far between, however I still get all the symptoms of PMS. I even get cramps...then NOTHING! I feel so bloated and fat for months until I finally start...
    So, IS it possible to get all the PMS symptoms without having a period...to feel the cramps and have the bloating and mood swings... and I feel like I am ovulating, but I don't start. I went to the gyno once with pelvic pain and she said it looked like I was ovulating and should start any day.... I didn't start for another 2 months and that was with help from Provera.

Thanks

I definitly get cramps etc without a period. I'm not sure if it's ovulating or not. Mine recently have been bad cramps and slight bleeding with orgasm as I stated in my other post. But I think it is possible to ovulate without af because there's this AWESOME girl on the chatroom here that got pregnant with her first baby without having a period for a year. I've also heard about a larger lady who got pregnant who hadnt have af for 2 years.. and she didnt even know she was pregnant when she went to the hospital to deliver.. she thought she was having indigestion! What a suprise, huh? She was on oprah or some talkshow I watched. Anyway... according to those two cases.. I'm assuming it is possible. But Im not an expert by far. And I hope you feel better.. try taking some midol anyway?

-Margie

Thanks

You cannot ovulate without having a period approximately 14 days later (assuming the egg doesn't get fertilized). However, you CAN have periods without ovulating.

Clucky Cyster glowingpurpleaura's Avatar
    Thanks

Ive always thought it was Possible to O and not get AF
    Love Always
    glowing purple aura

Thanks

Talking You can O and without a period!

I know that it is possible because my cousin who also has PCOS got pregnent after not having a period for a year. She did not find out until she was 4 months along and she only went to the doctor because she thought she had a bad stomach flu.
    TTC#1 2 YEARS
    Me 28
    Dh 24
    2 Furbabie Kitties, Katie and BeBe

Saliva microscope
    NPC

Thanks

You definately can ovulate without a period. I was 4 months pregnant with my first child before I found out because periods were very few with me and I never bothered on checking. At the time I fell pregnant with him, I didn't have AF that month or the month previously. My Mother was the same as me ... she was 5 months pregnant with my sister before she found out too because again .... periods were rare with her also.
    101.5lbs lost since 10th Nov. 2003
    38cm less of my waist. (Next weigh-in 26th May.)
    231.5/139.5/140 *reached 9/12/04
    139.5/130/133 *reached 3/3/05

Me: 36 DH: 39 - 2 teenage boys
    Dx: October '03
    Metformin 1500mg. Enalapril 80mg (BP) - Simvastatin 40mg (cholesterol) - all part of treatment for kidney disease.

Thanks

If you ovulate and *don't* get pregnant you will always have a period. I think the only exception is a corpus luteum cyst. So the fact that some gals didn't have regular periods and then got pregnant doesn't prove that they were ovulating during the time before they got pregnant. It probably means they ovulated sporadically like cysters tend to do, so when they did ovulate, they managed to catch the egg.

PCOSers often have long anovulatory charts that look like they're gearing up to ovulate several times, but ovulation is followed by either a period or a pregnancy.

Clucky Cyster glowingpurpleaura's Avatar
    Thanks

*is confused* everyone has confilcting opinions
    Love Always
    glowing purple aura

Thanks

I think we are all trying to say the same thing but we're failing!

I'll try to clarify.

Person A has PCOS or is breastfeeding or something else that supresses ovulation. After a few months of having no O and no AF, she releases an egg which gets fertilized. She doesn't menstruate after this, so she ovulated without having HAD her period in a while or having a period AFTER O. Lucky gal!

Person B gets ovulation symptoms like fertile mucus and ovarian twinges, but gets no period or BFP 2 weeks later. Person B felt like she was ovulating, but she was not.

Person C gets symptoms now and then but no rise on her BBT graph. After a while, she gets bleeding. Person B did not ovulate but is having anovulatory bleeding.

Person D has ovaries but no uterus. She ovulates, but doesn't have a period.

So you can indeed O and not get AF, but generally only if you get pg or have a rare abnormality.

Does that help? (If i sound preachy or know-it-all, I apologize.) Maybe if you don't chart, you should try charting and see if you find any ovulation pattern. Fertilityfriend.com has been good for me. Get aggressive with your doc, too...some of them are so lazy about treating PCOS!

Thanks

Thumbs up

I believe you can O and not have AF...I too like the other's who have mentioned, didnt have af for 6 months and found out i was pregnant at 12 weeks.
    Forty, Fierce & Fabulous
    Carrington (13) Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Did any of you see babies special delivery Monday night? This woman was on there who had went through menopause, had not had a period in 2 years and found out she was pregnant when she was 6 months along. I definitely think you can ovulate and NOT have a period. (even 14 days after when you should)

Tig

3DS + 1DD = 1 CRAZY momma sugarbug's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay let me see if I can describe things a little differently.

You know that you don't have to have a period to ovulate, right?

A period is what happens after an ovulation. It's like what came first- the chicken or the egg? The egg comes first in a cycle. It's what triggers the cycle.

A cycle is defined as the time period between the first day of your period, and the first day of your next period.

Getting a little scientific: After an ovulation occurs, you go into what's called a luteal phase (google it if you dont know what that is) This generally lasts 10-18 days. Although most websites you read, will tell you 12-16 days, with the average being 14 (thats based off of a 28 day cycle) The reason you have to have a period after an ovulation is because the hormonal feedback mechanism that is involved in ovulating, thickens the lining of the womb which has to be shed before another ovulation can occur. Or the pregnancy would have never taken place- your uterus would have been too full of bood and old gunk. Not to mention- we'd all have endo.

So the answer to the question is no- You can't have an ovulation without a period. But you can have a period without an ovulation just to clean things out- if the time period is too long between ovulations. (they call that break through bleeding)

How long it takes to bleed after an ovulation can vary from person to person based on their luteal phase. But the longest it should take is 18 days unless there is another problem (such as a cyst causing hormonal problems) or the person is in fact pregnant.

Thats pretty much the best way I can describe it....

I hope it helps someone!
    Bug
    DS#1 my Hidden Content 1998 (14)
    DS#2 my miracle 2004 (8)
    DS#3 my blessing adopted in 2006 (7)
    DD!!! my surprise & my last 2012

Thanks

I still don't believe it. I think you can ovulate and not have a period after regardless of what all the dr's say.

3DS + 1DD = 1 CRAZY momma sugarbug's Avatar
    Thanks

Ugh I give up! LOL