Thanks

Exclamation What Does This Mean? Enlarged Uterus

Ok, I just got back from my check up (just a tummy check). My OB stated I would need a sono due to enlarged uterus. I cant find anything out about this and now I am freaking. i was fine and didnt think much of it when I was in the office, but now I am wondering does is this a symptom of I/C? Please give any advice. Thanks!

Not reckless w/my nipple. shorty1kanobi's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think an enlarged uterus would be a symptom of incompetent cervix. THe first thing that comes to mind is that some women measure larger in their uterus than expected but it doesn't always mean a problem. Keep us posted! (And hopefully someone here will know more.)
    Mandy
    Proud Mommy to Emily born April 7, 2005 and Joseph born January 17, 2008

Thanks

Default I think it just means you are measuring....

bigger than your dates. However I have to tell you that if you are fluffy it is harder to get accurate measurements. My doctor doesn't even measure. I measured big for Darby all along and she was only 7lbs 8oz at 5 days past due. An U/S just gives him a better idea of the size. I know it is hard not to fret over these things but it is most likely nothing. Belly rubs.
    Kathy
    Kallan and Melissa 1997
    Darby 2000

Surprise! +++hpt 9/2/04
    HCG 31,166 Progesterone 13.5
    Bellybean due 4/20/05
    12/1/04 It's a healthy baby girl!

Hidden Content

M/C 4/19/2004 9w1d
    angel Casey 1995
    PLease remember to supplement with folic acid acid if you are ttc. It saves babies' lives!

Loving both of my babies AvivaElona's Avatar
    Thanks

Why in the world would you think this was a symptom of IC? I know there are lots of things to worry about during pregnancy but really, it pays to at least be informed about what symptoms are, rather than worrying randomly.

An enlarged uterus means your uterus seems bigger than it should. There are lots of reasons why it might be, most of them are pretty harmless. Some of them are not. Try calling your doctor tomorrow and asking what it is that he is worried about, and I'm sure he can give you better information.

Meanwhile take a deep breath, worrying yourself silly isn't going to make it any better.

Aviva
    Erica -38, Hidden Content DH Sandy-38
    Dx PCOS/IR since I was 18, on 2000mg metformin XR.
    Hidden Content and missing Isaac Doran born too soon 2/2/04,
    Hidden Content and holding Japhet Asher, my Chili Pepper, born happy and healthy 1/31/05,
    and two lazy Hidden Content

Thanks

Aviva, you sound irritated with me - though i do not know know why. It actually is something for me to be concerned about. My uterus should measure roughly 18 cm and is measuring 22 cm. And because I cant find anything on the internet about this, I thought maybe people that know something about IC (since it is a valid fear) could tell me if this is something they experienced too. I am not a big worrier, but I did turn to my fellow cysters for any advise, not irritation or being criticized for supposed "worrying randomly". Am I not trying to inform myself by seeking advice? I am sorry to rant but your post really is harsh.

Mommie 2 Saniyah & Elijah Tweety's Avatar
    Thanks

Jennmiles
    I am hoping that Aviva was not trying to be harsh. I am sure she was trying to put your mind at ease.

I agree with the other posters. I wouldn't worry. Measuring larger is so common that some doctors don't even measure the fundal height. Take me for instance, I had an u/s 2 weeks ago because the doctor felt that I wasn't meausuring big enough. My little surprise peanut is just fine. He is measuring to be about 5 lbs 2 ozs. The good part of the u/s, we got to find out the sex and was able to get another peek at him.

Don't worry. Good luck.

Edited to correct spelling
    Hasana 32, DH 32
    Married 8/99
    Dx w/PCOS May '00
    Mom to Kiwi (yorkie)
    Saniyah Nyree born 7/12/03
    Elijah Markese born 1/8/05

Hidden Content

Loving both of my babies AvivaElona's Avatar
    Thanks

I am sorry Jenn, you are right, I was a little irritated, though not really with you. I'm sorry that my post came out sounding snappy though.

It actually is something for me to be concerned about. My uterus should measure roughly 18 cm and is measuring 22 cm. And because I cant find anything on the internet about this, I thought maybe people that know something about IC (since it is a valid fear) could tell me if this is something they experienced too.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned about your uterus size, its just that an enlarged uterus is not a symptom in any way of an incompetant cervix.

I am a little frustrated because there have been a lot of questions lately here about IC. Sometimes I feel like people think that by worrying about IC they can prevent it from happening to them, and those of us who did have it happen just must not have worried about it enough. It gets a little frustrating, but that really isn't your fault so I apologize for letting it spill over onto you.

Really we can tell you "don't worry" all night, but the truth is that there are a few things that you might need to be concerned about. They are rare, and chances are really good that everything is ok, but obviously your doctor wants to do the sonogram for a reason, and you really do need to ask him what those reasons are. I'd hate to speculate and just give you more things to worry about when really most likely you have a fine healthy baby in there.

If you are worried about IC and you are having a sonogram anyway, ask if they'll also do a transvaginal and check your cervical length. Even though its not related to your uterus size it can't hurt to check it and it might make you worry about it less.

Again, I do apologize, its not always easy to be a grieving mommy and pregnant at the same time, and I'm afraid I don't always manage to balance the two. Again that has nothing to do with you, so please don't take it personally.

Aviva
    Erica -38, Hidden Content DH Sandy-38
    Dx PCOS/IR since I was 18, on 2000mg metformin XR.
    Hidden Content and missing Isaac Doran born too soon 2/2/04,
    Hidden Content and holding Japhet Asher, my Chili Pepper, born happy and healthy 1/31/05,
    and two lazy Hidden Content

Thanks

Jenn,
    I have measured six to eight weeks ahead the whole time, but it is just the way I grow. My u/s at 18 and 20 weeks both showed an extremely average sized baby, even though his playground was enormous. In later pregnancy, it can be a sign of too much water and sometimes too big of a baby, but it is usually just the way our particular uteruses are growing this time. Enjoy your belly!
    Sheri
    Metformin 1500mg, Yasmin, managing IR/pcos with lower carbs

First pregnancy ended at 23 weeks due to incompetent cervix.
    Hidden Content Mary Catherine will be in our hearts forever, November 28, 2003.
    Second loss March 9, 2004 at five weeks

Third pregnancy, Cerclage at 13w
    Hidden Content Duncan 2/11/05, 9lb 3oz
    Fourth pregnancy, Cerclage at 13w
    Hidden Content Ruby 2/27/06, 9lbs

Not reckless w/my nipple. shorty1kanobi's Avatar
    Thanks

Aviva - I think so many of us have asked about IC lately because many of us never even knew it could happen until we saw it happen to cysters on these boards, women we care about. We now know it can happen, and it is easy to worry, even if there's nothing to indicate you might need to. Most of the time the books don't say what to look for, so we're confused. It appears there's no way to know it might happen to you and no way to prevent it. If only the books would just say there isn't really anything to look for. And, as much as I would like to be able to say that women are educated well about their bodies, most things are never explained to us as we're growing. I've learned more about my reproductive system and how it works in the last year and a half than in my entire life up to that point.

I don't think any of us believe that worrying about it will prevent it from happening...its just that for many of us worrying is a part of being pregnant. So many on these boards have had to try really hard to get pregnant, there are many who have experienced devastating losses. I know you are a grieving mommy, and I can never fully express how sorry I am that you have come to know such grief.

I definitely want to say to you that none of us believe that those IC has happened to did anything or failed to do anything that caused it to happen. Certainly it wasn't that you didn't worry enough.

I think your explanation of where you were coming from was very gracious and reminded me, at least, that sometimes what we mean and how it comes across can be two different things. I admire your strength and your helpfulness on these boards.
    Mandy
    Proud Mommy to Emily born April 7, 2005 and Joseph born January 17, 2008

Thanks

I certainly was not trying to make things difficult for those that have experienced IC. I guess I did not explain why I thought it might be a symptom. I was looking for enlarged uterus, and came to a board, and they had a related article that was about IC. So I got to thinking what could the relation be? So my thinking was, if the uterus is too large, could this put a strain on the cervix, causing it to open. I havent looked too hard since my time is limited for research, so I thought I would pose the question to see if anyone else knew if this relation exists.

I too am very sorry for all cysters that have IC. It is just plain not fair.

Shorty is right though, there is very little information about IC which is why I think we hear alot about it here - not to mention each time we hear about a cyster with such potential & actual devastating news, it sticks our memories. It becomes our own fears & worries because the thought of loosing a baby is so herendous we dont feel we could be as strong as those that have suffered such a loss. At least that is how I feel. My hats off to you as you heal from your loss.

As for the uterus thing, I also did not mention the other fears - could they have missed a twin since I a fluffy, my beta #'s were through the roof. Could it be a probelm with this 6 cm fibroid tumor (I had during my 1st pregnancy too but it didnt cause this problem). I think my gut instinct was speaking for itself, initially no fear. Then you get to thinking - and thats the pitfall. Sometimes I get news and just have to get it out there so that my mind can tell me quit being silly. I have the sono next week - I will post then and let everyone know what it was.

Thanks

I understand your fears, but if I remember your initial post...you are measuring like 3 or 4 weeks ahead, right? I have measured 3-4 weeks ahead this whole pregnancy.....at the time, it could be just the position of the baby. I don't think they get too alarmed and that it is fairly common to measure ahead by a few centimeters. I don't know anything about IC.....I did have a fibroid that reabsorbed into the uterine lining after week 13....but 6cm is quite a fibroid. Maybe that's what's making you measure ahead....
    hthp's.....
    Me 41, Dh, 39,
    DD, Katie Grace 4/8/03 she's almost 9 now!!
    DS, Samuel Fenway...born 12/22/04, he's 7 now!
    With Katie, tested ++++at 12dpo
    13dpo: 428, 16dpo:1,903!!!
    Born on April 8, 2003
    8lbs, 6oz, 20 inches long
    With Sam,4/12/04 beta= 131 at 8 or 11 dpo, p4 14.4
    4/15/04 beta= 1,059 at 11 or 14 dpo
    4/28/04=36,850 P4=35.2

Thanks

No, I actually have never measured ahead. My dd measured 1 week behind and they even said she was going to be developmently delayed. This time I had been a few 2- 3 days behind. The baby is behind, the uterus ahead. And yes the fibroid is huge. With my DD it got to be 7 cm then shrunk after delivery. It caused all kinds of problems with her, but never made my uterus larger, just cramped the baby, so thats why I have a small bit of doubt that is the reason.
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Mommy of 2 precious girls stillhavehope's Avatar
    Thanks

Jennmiles ~ I am a sono tech and there are several things that can cause you to measure larger than dates. It could just be the way the baby is laying that day. As you already know fibroids can definitley grow with pregnancy so that could also be a factor. Maybe you have more than one fibroid now?? Also 2nd pregnancies are different from the first. I get sooo many mommies that swear they are pg with twins on the second pg because they are bigger earlier but it is really bloating from all of the hormones. Once your body has been pg before it is common to start showing and be bigger earlier in a second pregnancy than the first. How far along were you when they did the first scan? If it was transvaginal then it is usu hard to miss twins but i'm sure it has happened before. It is possible to not see twins at 5-6 weeks esp if they are from one egg and in one sac. If the sono is done too early they may not have divided yet.

Also, some drs have beaten the ins companies at their own game. Most ins companies won't pay for the sono unless it is done out of medical necessity. The dr I worked for put down a medical diagnosis of LGA (large for gestational age) for almost every sono so each mommy could get one and have it covered under ins. She never even mentioned it to the patients though. Is it a possibility that your dr did that??

Good Luck and keep us posted on what you find out.

Bellyrubs !!!
    Sherry
    Me:37 DH:38
    Met 2000mg, Avandia 8mg
    prenatal vit, baby aspirin
    ALA, Cinnamon
    BFP 9/3/06 EDD 5/13/07 Dh's bday!
    Shelby Hope born 5/02/07
    BFP 08/06/08 SURPRISE!! EDD 4/4/09
    Kailee Grace born 3/18/09

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

At my 12wk appointment, my Dr mentioned that my uterous was large. That's all she said though, and just made note of it in my file. I had an u/s the next day, and baby was measuring exactly where he/she should be. I'm not going to get concerned about this unless my Dr tells me I need to.
    Hidden Content
    Emily Marion - May 23, 2004
    Hunter Nathaniel - May 17, 2005
    Ethan Lukas - February 27, 2007