Thanks

Default Does metformin make your head hair thicker?

This may be a silly question, but oh well...
    I just started taking metformin yesterday. My hair doesn't fall out like crazy, but it's very, very thin. I have three sisters, and they all have abnormally thick hair, so I think that my weak, thin hair could be because of my PCOS (darn sisters don't have to deal with obesity, acne, hirsutism or messed up periods either!)
    Anyway, does anybody have any thoughts on whether starting treatment helps head hair grow thicker and better?
    Thanks.

Thanks

I've been on Met for about a month now and one of the things that I have noticed is that my hair doesn't fall out as much when I'm shampooing. My hair seems to be growing faster, too. I've read somewhere that when it comes to PCOS, you hair is too thin for the follicle or hair shaft, thus causing hair loss. I, from what I can tell, do not notice my hair getting thicker; yet, it's not falling out as much.

I went to a dermatologist for the first time on Friday. Even though I know that my hair loss and acne is because of PCOS and also knowing that it will 'take time' with Met to get my hormone levels back to normal, I still wanted to see if I could be prescribed anything to 'help it along'. The PA was going to prescribe me Spironalactone, but wasn't sure how it would coincide with Met. She advised me to check with my gyno and that if he says there will be no complications, then he can prescribe it or she can. Anyhow, she said that the medication can not only help with the acne, but will also help thicken my hair. Only thing is that she said it can cause birth defects. I've been doing my research and it appears that you can take Spiro and Met at the same time. I wanted to be placed on the pill as opposed to Spiro but I want to start ovulating on my own first, not because I'm taking the pill. I see my gyno this coming Wednesday, so if he prescribes it, I'll update accordingly to which results I see!!
    ---Marilyn (29)

Y!:Bunnies_are_psychotic

Diagnosed: 1992?
    Laparoscopic Surgery: 10.22.04
    Metformin: 11.7.04 - 500 mg; 11.14 - 1000 mg; 11.19.04 - 1500 mg

"Measure wealth not by the things you have,
    but by the things you have for which you would not take money."

Thanks

Hi Welcome to SC. Glad you found us. Feel free to contact me if you wish. See you around.
    Cathy 36
    Lee 40
    Married Feb 12, 1994
    HSG Nov 2004
    Brandon Aug 8, 2005

Thanks

HI there

I've been on met about 4 months now, and I am beginning to see regrowth...lots of those little fly-aways around my face/temples. I never noticed alot of shedding after going off BCP's last year, but a gradual thinning of my hair. to the point my scalp was very visible!
    So I *think* it is helping with some regrowth, as I am really not doing much else.

HTH's!