Thanks

Default Spotting - Light Pink/Red then brown?

What does it mean?

Last night when I got home from work, I felt some sharp pains towards the left side of my waist. I decided to lie down where I soon fell asleep. After waking up 2 hours later, I headed to the bathroom where I found pink/light red spots on my underwear and on the toilet paper. I called the OB on call and she said spotting is normal during the first trimester and that a blood vessel could have ruptured. She said I should only come into the emergency room if I double over in cramps and bleed heavily where I soak a pad an an hour.

For the next couple of hours, same pink/light read spots appeared on the TP everytime I went to the bathroom. During the night, I noticed that it started to get brownish. And now more than 12 hours later, it remains light brown (mixed with slight mucus-like things) like you get at the ending of a period.

Anyone encountered something similar? Any conclusions as to what does could mean?
    - Diana

Meds: Metformin 1500mg, Clomid 50mg
    TTC 1) Metformin 1500mg, Clomid 50mg, 11/2/05 (8dpo) +HPT, 12/20/05: M/C at 9 weeks
    TTC 2) Metformin 1500mg, Clomid 50mg, 3/9/05 (10dpo) +HPT, 5/31/05: M/C at 16 weeks
    TTC 3) Metformin 1500mg, Clomid 50mg, no "O"
    TTC 4) Metformin 1500mg, Clomid 100mg, Oed, 2ww

Thanks

hi there....i am 7 weeks along and i too have started some brownish spotting. it is very light, no cramping. i am like you, worried!!!
    but i keep reading that spotting is common in early pregnancy. i guess if it turns red and is accompanied with cramping, then you should be seen.
    brownish spotting seems like it would be "old blood" that is up in the uterus.
    i dont know....anyone else have any insights on this? help us!

~ amos

Ooops - yay! Canadian Kokopelli's Avatar
    Thanks

I also had some spotting somewhere around 7-8 weeks. My doctor thought that it could have been the egg burrowing into the lining further. Its also not uncommon to have spotting around the time you would expect AF.

Put your feet up and relax, hopefully it will ease up soon.

Good luck!
    Very lucky mom of two babies!

Managing PCOS with diet and exercise. Trying to stay med free!!

Thanks

I don't mean to worry you further, but I would call your Dr again and demand an u/s.

When I had my missed m/c in '97, I had brown spotting with what appeared to be 'bits' mixed in. It could be described as 'fiberous'. I'm sure you're fine (spotting is quite normal in early pg), but I would get it checked out just to be sure.
    Hidden Content
    Emily Marion - May 23, 2004
    Hunter Nathaniel - May 17, 2005
    Ethan Lukas - February 27, 2007

Thanks

I agree with Kis that you should get it checked out, but I wanted also to reassure you. I had similar spotting (mostly pink) at around the same time as you, and I've made it into my 18th week now. Good luck!!
    Me (36), DH (36), DD (5)

Thanks

I had brown spotting with some episodes of pink/red from 8 to 11 weeks. The RE never found any obvious cause for it, and I deliverd healthy twins at 38w3d. Good luck!

Meghan
    Twin dd's 6.25.03
    Hidden Content

Baby #3 is on his or her way!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I too spotted during my 6th and 7th week. We found it was either a slight placental abruption or a subchorionic hemmorage They are both kind of considered the same thing in the 1st trimester. It healed itself quickly but I also took it really easy and did no lifting. I would also want an ultrasound for reassurance. God bless.

Thanks

Amosk and Diana,

Just one more person to say that I also spotted at 6-7 weeks (and then again from 12-15 weeks). My doctor said she always wants to check me when it's red blood, she's not very concerned when it's brown because brown means "old blood" so whatever happened has already happened. In any case, blood is scary when you're pregnant, and your doctor should give you an ultrasound to put your mind at ease.

Before I became pregnant, I had never heard of bleeding during pregnancy. Now that I am pregnant and in touch with other cysters, I can't believe how common bleeding is, especially during the first trimester! More often than not, the bleeding resolves itself, but you should still see your doctor just to be sure.

Like R&J, my doctor said my bleeding was due to a subchorionic hematoma (bleeding between one of the placentas and the uterine wall). But, even when the doctor can explain it, she can't do anything to fix it. I took it very easy and had weekly ultrasounds to keep sane! I am starting my 17th week now.

Let us know what happens.
    B/G Twins born 4/18/05 (34 weeks)

Hidden Content