Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Sores Under Armpits? Inner Thigh?

HI,
    does anyone have PCOS and also experience boil/cyst like sores under their armpits and the inner thigh area?
    they are red, tender to the touch, and usually pus/fluid filled. they usually feel like they are just below the skin surface (not like a pimple that sticks out) sometimes they break open and fluid comes out. usually they go away on their own but come back every month. the scars from them under my armpits are still there though and won't go away.
    I've had PCOS since 1998, but these cysts have only been a problem for about 1 year. the doctor said they are sweat glands getting clogged.......web md mentioned "folliculitis" which is something to do w/ hair follicles growing the wrong way or getting blocked.........
    all i know is that the Dr has done nothing about them.

can anyone shed some light or have this same problem?

thanks!!
    cyn

Thanks

Hi,
    Welcome to SoulCysters.

The boils you describe sound like Hidradentis Suppurativa. It's very common among PCOS cysters. If you do a search on 'boils' you'll get lots of info from previous discussions.
    Jill
    Age 48
    Diagnosed 1983
    2 sons, born 1985, 1986 (thank God for Clomid)!
    lots of symptoms, but life goes on...
    Back on the IR diet wagon :-)
    Start weight (9/27/04): 268.4 Present weight: 242
    Loss to date: 26.4

Registered User One tattered Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Default I get them

and I hate them. I have them where my clothes rub also. My dr recomended I take a pair of tweezers and try to get the hair out. Also to drain the pus out makes them feel better. I then rub some rubbing alchohol on them and coat them with neosporin. I hate the scars they leave but the dr says there isnt much you can do for them. I get one atleast every month. My DH gets them sometimes from his work clothes under his arm sometimes and he doesnt have PCOS and my parents both complain of them and none of them have PCOS so I dont know if it is related to it or not. Good luck with them and if you ever come accross something that works good PLEASE let me know. I do feel your pain.
    Married to dh Brian 4-17-93
    DS-Joshua Adopted : 6-19-03
    Foster parents to 20 diffrent kiddos
    3 Precious Angel Babies Hidden Content
    "TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL THINE HEART; AND LEAN NOT UNTO THINE OWN UNDERSTANDING. IN ALL THY WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM, AND HE SHALL DIRECT THY PATHS." PROVERBS 3: 5-6
    Hidden Content

Thanks

boils are also realted to the staph. bacteria. (apparently a lot of people carry this bacteria - it's not inherantly 'bad.') This explains why a lot of people get boils, pcos or not.

I get them too. Luckily none ever in my armpits but mostly on my inner thighs. I agree - the scars are gross! Even if I ever lose weight and become less hairy, nice bathing suits are out on account of the scars!

I've been through prescription creams, expensive OTC stuff but the best thing I've found is plain old polysporin. Works like a charm every time.
    me:
    Julie
    dx: at age 15? 16?
    living in sin with my man (six years already?! - engaged! 01/15/07)
    happily child-free
    meds: Cyclen bcp

Thanks

Uhhhh....I know what you are talking about! I get them on my inner thighs and some times on the front of my private area. They hurt like heck, and the scars are still there.

I know your pain all too well.... I too put some neosporin on them and it seems to help. I sometimes put a heat compress on it when it gets too painful, that seems to help too.
    *April*

Thanks

Yep, I would defiantly say Hidradentis Suppurativa. There are many many threads and posts on this. Like the poster before said, if you do a search you will come up with all kinds of information on it.

I used to get them alot to. Maybe 1 or 2 a month. Man, they could be painful. I hated them. Ever since I've been on Metformin, I haven't had not 1 at all. I've been on Met for several months.
    Also, when I used to get them, I started using anti-bacterial body wash and that helped them out a bunch. Alcohol is also good at drying them up....
    Good luck

By the way- WELCOME TO SOULCYSTERS!!!!
    Glad to see you here.
    Take Care,
    Hidden Content
    Ericka(29) Tony(33)
    Married 9 years Sepember 4, 2006 Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I have the same problem, and when i used to have an AF i could time it by the appearance of these mountains. However, i had a strange occurrence recently. One of these cysty/boil things grew to the size of a tennis ball on my stomach, well, the lower roll of my overhanging belly. Unfortunately the cysty/boily thing ruptured before i could get to the Dr. It bled profusely for hours.

I was terrified.

Thankfully my Dr could see me that morning and he gave me a serious 10-day course of really strong antibiotics because it was severely infected.

He told me the only way to try to prevent the boily/cysty things from happening is to lose weight, practice good hygiene and pray to the hormone gods to be kind, since a lot of my outbreaks were AF related.
    dx w/PCOS in 1989
    perpetually single
    bearded lady extraordinaire
    not on meds because no one thinks i need them
    AF-less for 18 months and counting

~Respect the delicate ecology of your delusions~

Most of the time Upstate NY, sometimes Brooklyn.
    Thanks

I used to get these freakin things and they left scars allover my dang body. Incedently, this is how I was diagnosed. My gyno saw them and was like...go forth and get tested. heh. What got rid of em was Glucophage. I don't know how but it seemed to work. I say this because I didn't do anything special other than take Glucophage. I'm thinking its an IR thing. Also, since starting Spiro it seems to have cleared my skin even more. I hope you find some relief soon, I know how truly annoying they are.
    "I consider myself a good judge of people. That's why I don't like none of em." - Roseanne

Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

They are so painful! I've had them on my chest, inner thighs and I get them right where the elastic of my underwear sits. I just move and I want to cry.
    My drs have suggested: anti-bacterial body wash, salt water compress, and polysporin.
    One very important thing is to not squeeze it if it isn't ready. I know this is gross, but if it doesn't have a "head" ready to squeeze my dr said you could be squeezing the puss further into your body.
    Mine seem to come up in the same places almost every time. Is that what others find?
    Shannie
    Me 36, DH 35, DD 7yrs, DD 4yrs, DD 2.5yrs

Dx Set, 2000
    Wanting to lose 60.

Hidden Content

Thanks

i more often than not get them in the same places, so a lot of the scarring has been kept to a minimum. however i still cringe when i have to raise my arms over my head at aquacize because the scars that i do have are quite prominent.
    dx w/PCOS in 1989
    perpetually single
    bearded lady extraordinaire
    not on meds because no one thinks i need them
    AF-less for 18 months and counting

~Respect the delicate ecology of your delusions~

Registered User One tattered Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

I recently had one flare up on the underside of one of my breats. Ihad to go in and be put on a dose of antibiotics because it was getting really infected. It is finally starting to hurt less but I notice my whole breast is starting to hurt from the inside. Im really worried it has caused and absess or something inside. Dr has been having me do warm heat packs and it seemed to help alittle. If not improved by monday I will be making a appoinment to go in.
    Married to dh Brian 4-17-93
    DS-Joshua Adopted : 6-19-03
    Foster parents to 20 diffrent kiddos
    3 Precious Angel Babies Hidden Content
    "TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL THINE HEART; AND LEAN NOT UNTO THINE OWN UNDERSTANDING. IN ALL THY WAYS ACKNOWLEDGE HIM, AND HE SHALL DIRECT THY PATHS." PROVERBS 3: 5-6
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thumbs down

I have these things, too. I get them on my stomach right at my clothing waistline. They start like pimples but then turn purple and blue but they never have any puss associated with them, just really painful. I have one that's a little lower on the groin and it bleeds, but no puss or anything. How long were you on Metformin before you noticed they stopped? I've been on it a little over a month and they keep coming. =(

Thanks

Question Problem with synthetics?

I've noticed I've had problems with these bumps when I wear synthetics. I now buy undies that have the elastic covered and that seems to help.

foolishly hopeful cyster andisings's Avatar
    Thanks

Default OUCH

I get these. Not so bad as my symptoms are all getting better, but still no fun. especially when you don't realize you have one till you hit it just right....in public. how do you explain the scream of pain?!!? i'm so glad to know that i'm not alone in this!

Thanks

Default stupid things...I get them too!

I get the same thing too, always under my arm pit(s) and in my inner thighs...They never seem to fully disapear!