Thanks

Question what does metformin do for eating to many carbs or sugar

Does anyone know what exactly metformin does for you if you eat to much sugars or carbs. iam horrible with my diet and was wondering if metformin would even out all the sugars and carbs I eat. Thanks...

Loving God, enjoying life Lorilee's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, from my personal standpoint, Met has greatly reduced my cravings for sugar. I guess since it's balancing out my body's insulin levels, my body's not having those terrible urges for sugar. I used to just eat sugary things all the time, and if I didn't have anything sweet, then I would HAVE to have a Coke.
    Now, with my sweet cravings normal, the physical side effect I have if I over indulge in sweets, carbs, or greasy food is diarhea. Yep, it's gross. I think of it as my body's way of saying, "You idiot! Krispy Kreme is not your friend!"
    On the upside, with the lowered sweet intake and the -ahem- immediate flushing of "naughty" food, I've lost 10lbs in 4 months. I was only about 15lbs overweight to start, so I'm on a good path.
    -Lori
    Lorilee
    I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living!
    Wait for the LORD;
    be strong, and let your heart take courage;
    wait for the LORD!
    Psalm 27:13-14

Thanks

I totally noticed a difference in my body's needs for sugar. Used to be I was terrified of my parents brining cookies and cakes into the house because I just knew I wouldn't be able to control myself and eat them all and then my sister would get mad at me and I would feel bad...

Now a box of cookies that would last the weekends (if that) last the whole week. Cakes that would disappear in two days actually get thrown out because they're stale.

Before I could eat sugar as much as I possibly wanted (and I wanted all there was) now I have physical limitations as to how much I can eat and I'm slowly learning what they are. I can actually say no to something because one of two things a, I don't want any, or b, I know if I have I'll feel sick.

As for carbs. I don't know, I haven't really been paying that much attention to them, but in general my whole need for eating had greatly reduced.

LAP-RNY Cysters Unite! Lotusblossom76's Avatar
    Thanks

My experience on met has been a little different. I've been taking it since June of '04, and am on 2000mg of XR now. Initially, I was like the other posters in that my sugar cravings dropped drastically. Heck, my craving for most foods dropped drastically (apparently food aversions can be a side effect, according to my RE). Lately, though I've noticed that the cravings are coming back. Not nearly what they were, but they are there.

What tempers it though, is the fact that every single time I eat something sweet (TMI ahead) I get the worst case of diarrhea. Very nasty. Sorry about that.

I've been working on isolating what causes it, though. I stopped drinking all sodas and fruit juices, I don't make my Crystal Light too sweet , and I stay away from white rice, white bread, stuff like that.

You know, when you write it out, it sounds like I've started eating "healthy" all of a sudden!

Cheers,
    Tiffany

Thanks

Tiffanny... I know what you mean i had the same problems when eating to much of any of those things... healthy eating is what it brought me to which is fine because its a great thing!

Thanks

I thought Metformin would balance out my bad eating...and my sugar cravings did go WAY down and it helped me to eat less, loose weight but because I didn't change my eating habits I became diabetic this year. So even though it is there to help it will not "balance" things out totally.
    Married when I was 30, hubby was 34
    TTC since June 2011, D and C July 2011, progesterone June 2011 & Oct 2011, Met (started with 500, moved up to 2000 April 2012) Oct 2011-present.