Thanks

Default can pcos go away?

I'm 25 and the only reason they diagnosed me with pcos was my 3:1 LH:FSH ratio, and no regular periods.

So I started Glucophage and acupuncture and my cycles are now regular! So would that also mean that if I had my LH & FSH tested, that they would look normal? Meaning that really, I didn't have PCOS anymore? Does this make any sense??!

Thanks!

Thanks

Default Re: can pcos go away?

Originally posted by Bumper
    I'm 25 and the only reason they diagnosed me with pcos was my 3:1 LH:FSH ratio, and no regular periods.

So I started Glucophage and acupuncture and my cycles are now regular! So would that also mean that if I had my LH & FSH tested, that they would look normal? Meaning that really, I didn't have PCOS anymore? Does this make any sense??!

Thanks!
    My cycles have always been pretty regular, and I have PCOS. It's more than just certain levels being abnormal.

Thanks

Default thanks, (more)

So what else is it then? Those 2 things are my only symptoms. I don't have hair in unwanted places, i am not overweight... etc...
    Thanks for your reply!

Thanks

You know.....my OBGYN thinks I have it, too, based solely on that ratio. I do have some dark hairs on my chin, but I wonder if that REALLY is there because I have this olive complextion as well as dark, curly/wavy hair. I don't know.....but I hate it. I never had this problem with weird-o cycles until I went off the pill. Coincidence?
    Carrie: 39 DH: 42
    DD: Courtney 9/17/04
    DS: Trevor 1/18/07

DX PCOS (reg periods, Glucose Impaired, acanthosis nigricans, stupid hairy chin!), Adenomyosis, GAD, and they even gave me BIFOCALS in January. UGH!

Hidden Content

Thanks

Default Re: thanks, (more)

Originally posted by Bumper
    So what else is it then? Those 2 things are my only symptoms. I don't have hair in unwanted places, i am not overweight... etc...
    Thanks for your reply!
    Some women don't get these symptoms like unwanted facial hair till they are in their 30s. Some women never have these others symptoms (Thin Cysters, etc) but still have PCOS. Every woman is different. Some show certain symptoms at age 10, some not till 35.

If it is genetic as some people say (and it certainly does run heavy in my family) then it's something you may have from the womb! It just may lie dormant for decades. I think they are working on a new test for girls age 8 who are showing certain symptoms like body hair. The test wasn't for PCOS, but a possibly PCOS related problem.

There is also talk of a MALE version of PCOS. If there is, then the men in DH's family probably have it.

Also, please read the lab test sticky on Soul Cysters about how lab tests can show a "normal range" on some hormones, when they actually are out of normal range. This might mean you may have other imbalances that your doc doesn't know about and the lab tested wrong, or came up with a faulty result on.

Thanks

Originally posted by carrie640
    You know.....my OBGYN thinks I have it, too, based solely on that ratio. I do have some dark hairs on my chin, but I wonder if that REALLY is there because I have this olive complextion as well as dark, curly/wavy hair. I don't know.....but I hate it. I never had this problem with weird-o cycles until I went off the pill. Coincidence?
    Some Cysters say that they have this prob after going off BCPs. Some say that BCPs just "mask symptoms" which come out after you are off the pill. I've never taken them, but have had PCOS symptoms (weight, hair growth, hot flashes) since at least age 10 or 12 or so. My Mom was a stick til age 32. She didn't get facial hair till probably 40. Now she is batteling IR and weight gain. She works out or walks several miles 5 days a week, but is having a very hard time loosing weight The doc won't say, but I think she has PCOS. She asked him, but he just said something about tests, and eating right and working out, and not much else.

Loving God, enjoying life Lorilee's Avatar
    Thanks

I was diagnosed by an ultra sound. I had 8 little cysts on one ovary, and 10 on another. Have you had an ultrasound?
    I didn't have extensive hormone testing (out of pocket) but what I did have showed the normal range. The other symptoms I had were no periods, infertility, and miscarriage.
    Lorilee
    I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living!
    Wait for the LORD;
    be strong, and let your heart take courage;
    wait for the LORD!
    Psalm 27:13-14

Thanks

If your symptoms and ratio returned to normal while medicated, that does NOT mean you don't have PCOS anymore. It just means the treatment is working. If you quit taking the meds, your symptoms would return and your ratio would go back to what it used to be. PCOS never goes away, but it can be treated.
    Holly (30)
    DH (32)
    Brett (born 10/8/2003 in Korea)
    Miran (born 8/27/2004 in Korea)
    2 DDoggies (Tugger & Jett)
    4 DKitties (Lita, Zeppelin, Tabitha, Cinder)
    PCOS 16 Yrs
    Diagnosed 13 Yrs
    2000 Mg Metformin
    NO LONGER TTC after 3 failed IVFs
    Adoptive mom of 2 amazing kids from South Korea (Miran is expected home in April/May 2005)

Thanks

If your symptoms and ratio returned to normal while medicated, that does NOT mean you don't have PCOS anymore. It just means the treatment is working. If you quit taking the meds, your symptoms would return and your ratio would go back to what it used to be. PCOS never goes away, but it can be treated.
    Holly (30)
    DH (32)
    PCOS 16 Yrs
    Diagnosed 13 Yrs
    2000 Mg Metformin
    Adoptive mom of 2 amazing kids from South Korea (Miran is expected home in April/May 2005)

Thanks

Talking PCOS...

PCOS doesn't really go "away" until you hit menopause. It never really goes away...I am insulin resistant with mine, and even though I am on met, and I am now at my goal weight, I still take the met, because that is what I need to keep everything under control. Before treatment, I could not control the symptoms with diet and exercise alone. Take my grandmother, for example...looking back now, I think she was the one in my family who had PCOS, but it was never diagnosed. She was never overweight, but during her lifetime, she had thinning hair, she had problems conceiving, and lost one child, and had bouts of depression. After menopause, the heart problems started to appear, along with other PCOS attributed problems, like blood pressure, and arteriosclerosis. I look at it like this...I am treating myself now to avoid the serious health risks that could come later if I do not. My hormone levels and blood work are all at normal levels now, but it doesn't mean that my PCOS has been conquered. It just means we found the root of all the weird things that were happening to me, and that my course of treatment is working.
    Tracey Hidden Content

-Mommy to Ephraim, Born 9-24-06Hidden Content
    -Moderator, Mommy Board
    -My Blog: Hidden Content
    Putting the "fun" in dysfunctional!

Thanks

Hi,
    I have a question on this topic. While everything is "normal" whether it be from met, diet, whatever....can the cysts also go away during that time?
    TIA!

Thanks

Yes they can go away. The cysts are caused by annovulation. If the met (or diet) cause you to start ovulating, the cysts will go away and no new ones (or much fewer new ones) will be formed.
    Holly (30)
    DH (32)
    PCOS 16 Yrs
    Diagnosed 13 Yrs
    2000 Mg Metformin