Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

how interesting. i know that licorice is used in many adrenal support formulas and have considered taking it for my adrenal glands (i have excessive dhea, which is produced by the adrenal glands)...so i guess it makes sense that it would also affect testosterone.

Thanks

hi all...licorice is a great supplement, but be careful...it is powerful medicine. it stops the breakdown of cortisol into its inactive form, so your adrenal glands don't have to try as hard to keep your cortisol levels at the necessary levels. however, it can also increase blood pressure and cause cortisol levels to be too high....you'll know if this happens because you might not be able to sleep, and you might start feeling depressed or irritable, your heart may race, or your hands & feet will get swollen with fluid retention.

i often take it for 3-4 days in a row then take a day or two off....i gauge how much licorice i should be taking by watching carefully for the symptoms listed above.

Thanks

Default question licorice

is there anyone here who has had side effects with licorice like heart pounding or tight tingly feeling in legs

if so when licorice is stopped do these go away or is there any chance the side effects can be permanent?

Thanks

whew thanks arcticslug for very clear info!!! i think i'm going to pass on this one.
    1500mg met
    Failed IVF 4/9/09
    one partially open tube
    & one poorly functioning ovary
    Hidden Content

Thanks

...however, it can also increase blood pressure and cause cortisol levels to be too high....you'll know if this happens because you might not be able to sleep, and you might start feeling depressed or irritable, your heart may race, or your hands & feet will get swollen with fluid retention.
    I have a history of low blood pressure, and this is how I felt when I started drinking Women's Liberty Tea daily for only a few days. Each cup contains 580 mg of licorice root. It was enough to raise my blood pressure (elevation confirmed by doctor) and make me very irritable, hot/sweaty and anxious.

Thanks

although it isn't for everyone....for me, I think licorice root is helpful. if you don't feel good on it, lower the dose or don't take it.

an added benefit of licorice is that it can help prevent hyperkalemia (high potassium) due to spironolactone. Spiro causes the body to retain potassium, and lowers blood pressure. Licorice has the opposite effect, causing low potassium (which is why licorice can raise blood pressure). Basically they cancel each other out. I find taking the two together keeps my blood pressure and potassium levels at optimum levels. However, I still have to watch for symptoms of high cortisol.
    Last edited by arcticslug; 04-25-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks

if taking licorice does raise someones cortisol will simply stopping it reverse the raised cortisol?

anyon have firsthand experience with this and did it fully reverse after stopping the licorice?

also in chinese formulations if a product says.......one small round pill contains 10% licorice and the rest other ingredients, how much is this exactly in mg or grams? is there any way to find out?
    Last edited by girl; 04-25-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: also whatrelation does cortisol have to dheas?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by girl View Post
    if taking licorice does raise someones cortisol will simply stopping it reverse the raised cortisol?

anyon have firsthand experience with this and did it fully reverse after stopping the licorice?
    When I start to feel like I have high cortisol I stop for a day (well, I take it at night) and my symptoms are better within that day. licorice stops cortisol from breaking down to the inactive cortisone. by stopping the licorice the effect is immediate.

also in chinese formulations if a product says.......one small round pill contains 10% licorice and the rest other ingredients, how much is this exactly in mg or grams? is there any way to find out?
    not sure....but maybe divide the total mg for the pill (ie 100mg) x 10% would mean that there is 10mg of licorice in the pill.

also whatrelation does cortisol have to dheas?
    The adrenal glands release DHEAS at the same time cortisol is released. i believe this is why licorice lowers androgens - your hypothalamus detects that cortisol is at a sufficiently high level, so it stops signalling the pituitary from stimulating the adrenal glands to release cortisol (and therefore DHEAS).

I take licorice at night just before bed because the body releases cortisol at night. Therefore if cortisol levels are higher at night because of the licorice, the hypothalamus won't cause the adrenals to release as much DHEAS. I'm not entirely sure about this....but this is what I understand.

The following link shows the pattern of cortisol release throughout the day: http://www.qfac.com/images/circadian.gif

the following diagram shows the relationship between the hypothalamus, the adrenal glands, cortisol, and the androgens:

http://www.femalesexualdysfunctionon...34__s002_f.gif

Thanks

Default licorice

wow thanks for such a detailed reply...appreciate it

also does anyone then know of herbs which will help restore the hypothalamus and pituitary considering these contol everything if they function properly the rest of thebody might fall into balance

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arcticslug View Post
    When I start to feel like I have high cortisol I stop for a day (well, I take it at night) and my symptoms are better within that day. licorice stops cortisol from breaking down to the inactive cortisone. by stopping the licorice the effect is immediate.
    thanks for all the information--i find it difficult to get straight information about elevated dhea/dhea-s. i'm curious, what do "feel" like when you have "high cortisol"? i didn't have my cortisol tested, but did have my dhea-s tested and it was high. does elevated dhea indicate elevated cortisol?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bettylanguage View Post
    i'm curious, what do "feel" like when you have "high cortisol"?
    I can't guarantee that I actually have high cortisol because I don't have access to tests. However, I find my symptoms are similar to the signs of high cortisol that are seen in people who need to take steroids for a medical condition (ie asthma, arthritis). I find that I won't be able to sleep, I get very irritable. When I stop the licorice, I'll be able to sleep NO problem. It's pretty clear in my mind.

The other symptoms that I sometimes get (racing heart, fluid retention) I think are related to loss of potassium that is associated with licorice...not the cortisol.

Quote Originally Posted by bettylanguage View Post
    does elevated dhea indicate elevated cortisol?
    Elevated DHEA doesn't indicate elevated cortisol. Although the two are linked and the body secretes then from the adrenals at the same time, a person can have normal cortisol and high DHEA. For example, people with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) are missing an enzyme that causes then to have chronically low cortisol. To get cortisol levels to the normal levels, the body is constantly stimulating the adrenals to release more cortisol. At the same time, the adrenals are also releasing DHEA....so many people with this syndrome have similar symptoms to PCOS because they also have the high androgens. I hope I'm making some sense....?!?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arcticslug View Post

Elevated DHEA doesn't indicate elevated cortisol. Although the two are linked and the body secretes then from the adrenals at the same time, a person can have normal cortisol and high DHEA. For example, people with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) are missing an enzyme that causes then to have chronically low cortisol. To get cortisol levels to the normal levels, the body is constantly stimulating the adrenals to release more cortisol. At the same time, the adrenals are also releasing DHEA....so many people with this syndrome have similar symptoms to PCOS because they also have the high androgens. I hope I'm making some sense....?!?
    Thanks so much for the information! i should probably have my cortisol tested eventually. i have had a lot of success treating my adrenals, especially with gaia's "adrenal health," so i know i'm on the right path. i've been taking an allergy blend with licorice in it and haven't felt any adverse effects (like you described), so i guess i'll keep taking it and just be aware.

thanks

Thanks

That is really interesting. I am impressed at how "in tune" many of you are to your bodies. I'm trying to find out all I can about the different hormones/responses to see where I fit in. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Default dheas cortisol

my blood test showed normal cortisol and high dheas + testosterone
    estrogen is a little low too

does licorice increase estrogen and decrease testosterone? or just lower testosterone?

anyoneknow of any natural ways to increase estrogen and decrease testosterone?maybe should i just work on my adrenals?

Thanks

Default licorice testosterone?

one more question, does licorice permanently reduce testosterone or will it go high again after licorice is stopped?