Thanks

Question Dark Eyelids -- WHY and what to do?

I am vary pale complected and have very dark eyelids (in addition to undereye circles). My eyelids are almost brown and it looks like I have either been punched or have on brown shadow all the time. It really makes it hard with makeup. I can only wear browns greens and peaches -- anything else and it really looks like i have a shiner. I have used most kmart/walmart brands, avon, and am currently using marykay products. Between the liquid eye primer and white shadow as a base i can hide most of the discoloration.

Does anyone know what this is? I was wondering if it is AN (is that the right initials?) --but it says mostly on folds, back of neck, underarms, etc. -- It says nothing about the eyes. Are my dark eyelids PCOS related? Also, if there is anyone else who has this problem, what do you do to cover it up/hide it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Thanks

I have the same problem that you do, my eyelids are very dark and I'm not sure what causes it or how to get rid of it. I think it may be caused by the A.N. but I can't say for sure. I hope someone here knows.
    Lawgyrl
    23 yrs old
    PCOS
    Rehumatiod Arthritis

Depressed from the symptoms, optimistic about life

Thanks

I used to have wicked dark circles and they went away once i started taking B vitamins and especially Omega 3 Fish Oil. My husband was shocked as he noticed my dark circles disappear and my skin improving after only 2 or 3 weeks of taking fish oil. Now my eyelids are totally bright, no longer shadowy. Omega 3 fish oil is also proven to help with depression, they actually prescribe it in Europe for depression. You can get them at any vitamin shop, but the best brand i have found so far has been Carlson's Fish Oil. Also Living Rx Omega 3 & E is supposed to be good too.

No more sweet tea cyster Pretty~in~Pink's Avatar
    NC -where the tea is sweet & I can't have any :(
    Thanks

I use something from Everyday Minerals. I love it! They have a color corrector kit on their site. It has 5 colors in it: Mint for redness, Yellow for dark eyes & under eye circles, Lavender for the sallowness in olive tones, Blue for orangey tones from self tanners, & Pink for brightness(just gives a glow). It's around $15 & it comes in a sifter jar. It would last a long time. You would just need to get a concealer brush from somewhere like CVS. HTH! If interested, go to : www.everydayminerals.com
    Me:31
    DH:36
    DD:10

DD: 7 mths.

One furbaby: Jack Russell Terrier (Bubba)

Thanks

It was very dark under my eyes before I started Met. Not dark circles. I've had them my entire life. It was more like I had smeared black mascara under my eyes. After just a few weeks on Met, the black went away.
    Dx November 2004
    Met 1500 mg
    Atenolol 25 mg & Hyzaar 50/12.5 for BP
    Vaniqa cream 2X daily
    Topical Clindamycin for folliculitis and rosacea
    Weight loss since diagnosis - 28 pounds

Registered User tktjones@yahoo.com's Avatar
    Thanks

hi i also have dark brown eyelids as if i was wearing eyeshadow. i am not really concerned how to cove it up i am more cocerned with what it might be. i have a doctors appt tomarrow. what is AN and also what is pcos?i just recently have this problem with in the last few months and just concerned with what might be wrong with me. i go to doctor tomarrow so if i learn anything new i will post it tomaroow.. thanks tammy

Thanks

i have same problem... not sure what it is but concerned. what is AN and PCOS? i have dr appt tomaroow. i i learn anything new i will post it tomarrow.

Thanks

I have them, too. One friend even said, "Oh, I though you always wore brown eyeshadow". Ugh -- why would I do that???? It is AN (acanthosis negricans), which commonly appears in skin folds.

You really can't do anything about it (especially because it's in your eye area, and you wouldn't want to use a skin lightener there). I ALWAYS wear sunglasses and a hat to prevent the problem for worsening (I also have a melasma -- also known as "pregnancy patch" on my forehead and a smaller one on my cheek, I guess these are common for women taking the pill, though I was on the pill for 20 yrs before I got the melasma. The eyelid problem I've always had).

I am sensitive to eye makeup because of my contact lenses, but earlier this year I discovered these new Neutrogena eye shadows that are hypoallergenic. The kit comes with a "base," and I find that when I put that base on my eyelids it works like a concealer and makes my eyelids almost normal!!

After the weight/stomach and the facial hair, the eyelid situation for me is the worst!

Registered User hoping_n_wishing's Avatar
    Thanks

Could you be anemic? My sister has dark eyelids and undereye circles anemic. Her doctor has told her the dark circles are due to her low iron.

Thanks

went to the doctor..he said all it means is that i am tired...which i already knew that.. also a sign of dehydration..those are the two thingsd he siad causes it.. i have a thyroid problem and i am hypothyroid and i have been taking too much meds and it is now lowered but this has made me tired form my meds being to high.. i was taking 225mcg and am now down to 150 mcg so i was taking way too much which causes fatigue.. maybe you all should check into your thyroid see if there isnt a problem there.