Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default tonsils w/holes/scar tissue in them?

Does anyone who still have their tonsils have holes literally in them and food and stuff get caught in them and you have to reach back in your mouth w/a Q-tip? I get this once in a while, stilll have my tonsils, maybe a water pick would help flush that gunk out--it smells too, like rotten food, sorry TMI-not feeling well tonight *whine* Does anyone have this, and what has helped you to stop this gunk? or am I just a weirdo lol

Thanks

Yup, I've had this. I've poked stuff out...and yeah, it doesn't smell pretty at all. It used to happen quite often, but it hasn't been a problem for quite a while now. I'm not sure what changed though....I can't think of anything I do differently.
    I've been off these boards for a while, and have come back because we're TTC.
    No meds, went off BCP July 2010. Just using acupuncture and herbs to get things back on track.

Thanks

Thank goodness I'm not alone! It's horrid isn't it?! I spoke to my doc about it and he said it's a tonsil cleft (?sp) and that it's nothing to worry about. He said that it is a cosmetic thing and that I wouldn't be able to get my tonsilles removed because of it (I have been trying to get them removed for years as they are more trouble than they are worth, but my doc will just not let me get them taken out!!) He did say that gargling with salt water after each meal should help, but I have to say I can't stand that, so I just tend to gargle with mouthwash twice a day, which seems to keep it relatively under control.

I think I'm getting tonsillitis again, have a really sore throat today

cystsBgone - do you get tonillitis a lot? I was thinking that it may be connected???
    Me (33) DH (37) DD (2)

Praying for another BFP one day......

Thanks

Or they hard white nodules that come out of the holes? If so, that happens to me too. but I didn't think it was food..I thought it was dried saliva.
    Michelle
    164/143/115

Thanks

yep, hard white stone type things...

actually colled tonsil stones, they are bits of food that started to break down because of bacteria.

I have em too, it is gross!

Thanks

thanks cysters so glad to hear im not the only one. (not that it's fun to have this) the salt water gargle sounds good, gonna do that right now, take a calcium magnesium, xanax and go back to bed. it is grose. I think it is bacteria that food just gets caught in there and stay in the pockets.

ok, after my nice lil rant--do any of you ever have those days, where your higher power (if u have one) is really trying to breakthrough to you that finally you will do something else besides your own will? I just smoked my lasy cig, not going to buy more, and quit trying to figure everything out!!!
    I know I got off topic, but man I am crazy today-totally out of sorts and I don't know why.
    Thanks so much for sharing what has helped you ladies.
    Goodnight

Thanks

Having worked for an ENT for 3 years, and being married to a man who had tonsil crepts for 9 years, I understand. As an adult if you are developing these "stones", sore throat, snore, or even bad breath they are all valid reasons for having surgery (and it is not cosmetic). If you have scarred tonsils, then that shows that you have had repeated bouts of sore throat or tonsillitis. The stones are actually collections of food particles and infection, I know to much information. I am sure you have heard that it is very painful for adults to have their tonsils removed. I will not lie to you, it is like having a skinned knee in the back of your throat. However there is a new procedure out for removing your tonsils using water/radio frequency. You see most of the soreness comes from the cautery they use, which forms the scabs. With this new equipment those "scabs" don't form. This is the only way I would allow my husband to have the surgery. We have seen a lot of improvements with our patients post op with this new procedure.

If you don't want to have surgery, then I would suggest you get a water pic. You can use this device to wash out the crepts in your tonsils. Which is better than using the end of your toothbrush to dig these crepts out. (I told you, I have heard/seen it all). The water pic also helps with your gag reflex, and is less traumatic to the tonsil tissue. Your doc is correct about gargling with salt water, that is the true home remedy for sore throat. I hope this helps.

Thanks

okay great.i was wondering what that stuff was...thought it had to do w/ me smoking..but i get streph throat about 3 times a year and my doctors always told me no way i couldnt have them removed..they are also HUGE...im so tired of the infections..
    I will be skinny!!!!
    Start weight: 176
    Current weight: 176
    Goal weight: 135
    Height:5' 7 1/2 Hidden Content

Thanks

Default I have huge tonsils!

I have huge tonsils! You can VERY clearly see them when I open my mouth. When I get tonsilitis, they sometimes even touch. That is how big and swollen they get. They are covered in big pits. I don't often get food in them though, I don't know exactly why. Maybe because I drink tons of water while I eat. I am proud of you guys for being able to get the food out with a Q-Tip. I would probably puke. I have a terrible gag reflex! I want them out; but, they haven't caused me too many problems in the past 4 years or so to warrant the cost. Maybe someday!
    Metformin 1000mg/day
    Spironolacton 50mg/day
    Tazorac Cream

Thanks

Talk about horrid--I hear you, my dog even smelled my mouth today, after I cleaned them up with the Q-tip last night and gargled with Listerine. The Listerine and salt gargle is helping already. It is so weird, and nastyyy-wish I could get mine out too, maybe someday is right
    happy picking! yuk

Quinten's finger wrap sazzifrazz's Avatar
    Thanks

Years ago when my husband and I were dating every once in awhile he would cough up "pasta balls" as he called them. He said when he squeezed them they stunk! I read him these posts and he is amazed that after all these years it wasn't pasta getting stuck at the back of his throat! NASTY!!!!
    Sarah (sped teacher) and Matt (6th grade teacher)
    6 IVF's=1 birth, 2 M/Cs, and 3 BFN's
    4 year old son Quinten Patrick (Quin) and 18 year old foster son Jason
    IVF BLOG http://asibforquin.blogspot.com/

Thanks

That is so true! Tonight I took another Qtip and gargled w/Listerine again, and there was more even after not even 24 hours. Yuk! It is really nasty

Thanks

Default I get them too!

Yes, I've had tonsil stones for about the last 12yrs (since I was 16). I remember the very first one I got. I'd been eating peanuts and I suddenly felt this hard lump on my tonsil when I was swallowing. Well, I thought it was just a peanut that had gotten stuck, but when I opened my mouth to look, there was this huge white thing stuck right in my tonsil. I managed to remove it and the gross smell was just overwhelming. When I looked back in the mirror I noticed the huge whole in my tonsil where the white thing had come out of. Yuck!

Anyway, it all started with my right tonsil, then eventually the left. I became totally obsessed with checking my tonsils as I could see the holes literally forming everyday. Since then I've done research and found out that my tonsils are cryptic - I've also read another description that the stones can be a collection of moisture cells. I get them in bouts. Up till about two months ago I'd been getting them almost constantly for about a year.

Thanks

It's still happening every day now, I went for a while where this wouldn't happen, my tonsils would feel heathy-no smelly lumpy stuff. I really want to purchase a water pik but I think they're too expensive. The Qtips aren't cutting it, it seems, and my tonsils get sore from all the driving and picking w/the Qtip. My doc told me a while back, that these holes were scar tissue from previous infections, it's like ok, then how can I prevent infection if I'm constantly having to 'dig' these nasty lil buggers out?

VERY frustrating oh well

Thanks

I have also had these. They were a big problem and I was constantly getting sore throats. I finally had my tonsils removed 6 years ago, when I was 21. It is a valid reason to have them out!! Those crypts were awful. The sore throats were worse. When they were swollen they touched and when not inflamed they almost touched. I am so thankful now to have had them out. I was told after my tonsilectomy that my tonsils were in some of the worst shape the ENT had ever removed. I was told the surgery took a little longer than most because mine did not come out in one nice clump, like they are supposed to. They were so rotten and diseased from all the infections that they were litterally falling appart in pieces as he tried to remove them! If you are having problems with your tonsils talk to more Drs and find someone that will listen and take them out! At 21 it was VERY rough recovery I was in pain for over a week and a half because of it. I feel so much better now though! I rarely get sore throats or strep throat and no more yuckie white crypt things!
    Good luck ladies!
    Me=28,DH=29
    DD-Ashlea 3/8/98
    DD-Sarah 2/7/04 - 5/1/04 Luv you Sarah Bear
    DD-Marjorie Grace 10/24/05
    DD-Natalie Mae 10/24/05
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content