Thanks

Unhappy Does have dry and cracked feet mean Diabetes?

I have had these feet..well you know what mean....for years and through the years they have been getting more cracked and dry. My DH makes fun of them(lovingly) and won't touch them.
    Or is this a sign of IR , Diabetes or PCOS?
    Michelle
    164/143/115

When it rains it pours! barneyb's Avatar
    Thanks

I really don't know - I have them too and I'm IR, but I have friends whose feet are pretty gross and they don't have any of these things. At the same time, a diabetic friend of mine saw my feet and told me I really needed to push on my insulin/sugar concerns - since then I've learned I'm IR. My feet are better with regular evening applications of Vaseline and sleeping in socks, but there are some very deep cracks that just won't go away.

Anyone else know if these things are related? I'd love to know.
    Dayna

diagnosis so far: Submucosal Uterine Fibroid (4/05), IR (6/05), Panic Disorder (12/05)
    Back on Effexor XR Hidden Content
    NEVER AGAIN TAKING LEXAPRO!!!
    Furbabies - Maine "Loon" Cat & Guinea Pigs

Thanks

my feet are nasty, but I am not diabetic.

I keep them smooth by using a pumice stone in the tub, and last night I used pied de peppered foot cream from www.lush.com and it already has made a difference.
    DX: Sept/03 Me 31 & DH 35Hidden Content
    PCOS: Metformin 1500mgs daily(Oct/03).
    Rapid Cycling Bi-Polar Type II: Effexor 225 mgs, .5mgs clonazapam, and 900mgs Lithium daily. litebook therapy(Dec/04).
    Meniere's Disease:Hidden Content 16mgs Serc and 10-20mgs Metoclop

Thanks
    Blog Entries

But pumice stones are NOT Recommended if you're diabetic. Just wanted to stress that fact. The foot is so important to take care of as a diabetic you have to be careful.

What I have gotten my mom to use on her feet, is the diabetic creams, and boy what a difference. Check them out. They're in the health and beauty section of your pharmacy. They have them specifically for feet. They work wonders.

Take care.
    Teri (39) & ds brandon 14 yr & twins Michael and Matthew born 2-22-06 Hidden Content Angels :march + July 12, 2002
    Chronic back pain, RSD, reflux, diabetes II, pcos,
    lap band September 16, 2008, RNY 1-11-11 [url]Hidden Content http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wVGrMyT/s-weight.png"

Finally a mommy of 2 mygreenearth's Avatar
    Thanks

i don't think that itis a 100% indicator. I have alos read that dry cracked feet might indicate thyroid problems.

Thanks

Hmmmm...well I'm stumpt again. I had both these checked..Diabetes and thyroid and bith came up negative.

How do you get tested for IR?
    Michelle
    164/143/115

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You get tested for IR by a fasting INSULIN level (sorry my caps got stuck)....

It's similar to the fasting glucose levels, but yet it tests how much insulin your body produces. It's also known as a cpeptide level. Mine was incredibly high. High side of normal is somewhere between 10 and 13 depending on the lab/dr... mine was 49.8. When it gets to high, it means you're not using it, then they move on the glucose tolerance test. YUCK! That's a nasty sugar drink and a bunch of tests.

Good luck. My mom, who is negative on all the above tests, has horrible feet. She walks around bare foot all the time. So it might just be nothing.

HTH
    Teri (39) & ds brandon 14 yr & twins Michael and Matthew born 2-22-06 Hidden Content Angels :march + July 12, 2002
    Chronic back pain, RSD, reflux, diabetes II, pcos,
    lap band September 16, 2008, RNY 1-11-11 [url]Hidden Content http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wVGrMyT/s-weight.png"

Thanks

my grandma says it's from going barefoot all the time!
    DX: Sept/03 Me 31 & DH 35Hidden Content
    PCOS: Metformin 1500mgs daily(Oct/03).
    Rapid Cycling Bi-Polar Type II: Effexor 225 mgs, .5mgs clonazapam, and 900mgs Lithium daily. litebook therapy(Dec/04).
    Meniere's Disease:Hidden Content 16mgs Serc and 10-20mgs Metoclop

Thanks

Before I became a diabetic I never had dry cracked feet. It was one of the first things that went bad when I found out I had diabetes. Diabetes causes your skin to be terribly dry. You really have to take care of your feet. I go to the spa every other week to get pedicure to keep my feet soft. I also use Eucerin and Cetaphill to prevent the cracking. They work well with my feet.
    April 35 Patrick 37

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TickledPink
    my grandma says it's from going barefoot all the time!
    I used to think my dry cracked feet were from going barefoot a lot, but after starting treatment for diabetes (Metformin, diet, exercise) my feet are now very smooth. I don't know how long it took, but I do remember noticing it and figuring out that it must have been the diabetes causing it.

Linda
    dx pcos 1984, type II diabetes 2001, also hypertension
    Met 2000mg since 2001, started Glucophage XR 4/22/04, then switched to Met ER 6/04; also: multi, Vit. C, Vit. E, B12/folic acid combo, fish oil & borage oil combo, garlic capsules, cinnamon, Vitex, calcium with magnesium/zinc, biotin, CoQ10, selenium,iron
    Other meds: Verapamil and Altace(for blood pressure)
    Started laser hair removal 7/29/03, completed 3/04 (it works!)
    UAE for fibroid 3/24/03 and 3/16/04

Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 484 Posts

A LOT of cysters seem to have the dry tough skin on their feet... in my case I first noticed it around age 8 which I think is also when my IR/hormone issues began. I definately think there is a connection to IR and PCOS... not ness. to diabetes although there is a relationship between PCOS/IR and diabetes, too.
    "Laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose -
    Every way you look at it, you lose."
    - Simon & Garfunkel

Thanks

I just remember my MOM's feet looking like mine now, and then she started cutting on the nails till there was no nail left and then DIABETES hit. Needless to say I no longer cut my own nails I get a pedicure every two weeks. I am scared of Diabetes hitting me like my MOM, she already has two toes gone But she is in good spirits thank GOD! So I tend to lean towards that there might be a chance of it being in the starting stage. And the connectionis definately there but I am no doctor so let's see if you get more reply's.
    (Me) 43 (hubby) 33 Hidden Content 13 years strong
    DD-Jessica 23
    Emiliano 2 years
    Alexander born 8/8/2013 Hidden Content

Thanks

I have diabetes and I am hypo...I have always had feet trouble. BUT so does everyone on my mothers side. Dry feet can also be a sign of athletes foot. I dont kow about the walking barefoot...but if so I am guilty. I guess I am just a hillbilly at heart!

Nicole

Thanks

I'm another one who never had dry cracked feet until they became diabetic. I will be going to the pharmacy to get some of those Creams Terilynn suggested. I forget about all of these things that they have out. I think I am in denial again about the db.

Thanks

I know my Doc. told me dry cracked feet( and dry skin and hair) is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Which I have. I have noticed alot of Cysters have mentioned this before...