Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Turmeric and Facial Hair

Hi everyone,

I recently found this question about facial hair (hirsute) and turmeric at http://www.richters.com/

Has anyone tried this? It's interesting...

================================================== ======================

Q: I would appreciate if you could let me know what turmeric is and the use of it. I want it for unwanted facial hair

A: Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a plant whose root is used widely in Eastern medicine, and more recently in western herbal medicine. Thomas Bartram, in "Bartram�s Encyclopedia of Herbal Medicine" (available at Richters), lists actions that include blood purifier, anti-inflammatory, detoxifier and regenerator of liver tissue, digestive, increases bile flow and causes bile to flow freely. Turmeric is used internally for arthritis, skin problems, asthma, cancer, digestive problems and liver and gall bladder disease.

In India a paste, made by mixing turmeric with water, is applied to remove unwanted facial hair. Apply the paste, allow it to dry, then wash off with cold water. Apply daily for several days until the hair has been removed. Be aware that turmeric does stain the skin (and most things that it touches) yellow. Experiment by trying it on a small patch of skin.

For information on treating the causes of facial hair, please see our web site at www.richters.com . Choose "Q&A" from the main menu, then enter "facial hair" for the search.

Thanks

Follow up info:

For anyone who'd like to try it, you can get it in powder or cut form at http://www.pennherb.com ..just do a search for it there.

or

http://store.yahoo.com/rootsproducts/suphair.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Product details: Unlike other products for the removal of superfluous and excessive hair, our Superfluous & Excessive Hair product is not a fancy cream or lotion. This is not a quick fix product like some chemical products in market. This is a natural way of preventing the hair from coming back by using it over a period of time. This product is an ancient Ayurveda method of natural treatment for removal and slowing down hair growth. It is a 100% natural herbal blend of rare, expensive medicinal plants and essential oils specifically meant for removal and prevention of excessive and unwanted hair. There are absolutely no chemicals or preservatives. The product is in the form of a powder and has to be mixed with aloe vera gel or cucumber gel to prepare a paste before application.
    Click to see how the herbal blend and paste look like.

Results and Effects: Helps remove superfluous or excessive hair on face and body. Prevents the growth of unwanted hair. The herbs in this product reduce the ability of hair to grow back on unwanted areas.

Ingredients: Herbal blend contains the following herbs and essential oils. Click on any ingredient to see its medicinal use and value.
    Turmeric (Haldi), Papaya, Multani Mitti (Fuller's Earth), Lavender Oil and Besan Flour. Plus, Aloe vera or cucumber Gel is added to prepare the herbal paste before it is used.
    Click for complete list of ingredients used in our products.

Preparation: Empty an entire package into a bowl and add entire bottle of gel. Mix the contents adding 2-3 teaspoons of water each time until a jelly-like paste is formed. Do not worry if you made the paste a bit thin. Just try to keep the paste approximately as thick as a normal tooth paste. The paste must be refrigerated preferably in an air-tight container.
    Pictures of herbal blend and paste before and after mixing with gel.

Usage: Since this product is based on slowing down hair growth, although not necessary, the best time to use it is after you first remove the hair by any other conventional method like shaving, waxing etc. Take enough paste that will thinly cover the problem area and add 1 teaspoon of milk or yogurt and mix with this paste. Clean the area to be used with warm water to open the skin pores. Apply paste gently over the areas and massage thoroughly in reverse direction of hair growth for 5-10 minutes. The skin absorbs some paste. Leave the paste on for 20-25 minutes and then rinse with warm water. DO NOT wash with soap for at least an hour. Use 3 times a week for 2-3 months.

Rinsing tips: The following rinsing procedure will help get the maximum benefit from herbs. Instead of simply washing the paste off, first dab the dried paste with water to make it wet. Then slowly move the paste with fingers in circular motion as you massage and remove the paste at the same time. When paste dries out again just rinse it off with warm water. This way the skin will completely absorb all the oils from the herbs. DO NOT wash with soap for at least an hour--that will wash away the herbal oils and juices the skin just absorbed.

Application frequency: Use 3 times a week. Each course (1 herbal pack and 1 aloe vera gel) gives between 4-6 weeks of usage depending on how much and how often the paste is being used.

Treatment duration: On an average most customers use this product for 8-12 weeks depending on how severe the problem is. You could expect to start seeing results in the first 3-4 weeks.

Thanks

Hi everyone...

I found even more info and links on the turmeric and just wanted to share. I've still not tried it myself... Please if anyone tries it let everyone know!!! Thanks.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    From this link:
    http://askagent.ammas.com/topics/Beauty/a100006.html

Haldi is the Hindi name for turmeric. Turmeric comes in its natural form as dried slender root tubers. They are called turmeric horns (very literal translation of what we call them in Telugu). These are ground to a very very fine powder and that is what is being referred to when people say haldi in either beauty recipes or cooking recipes. Yes! We Indians are extremely crazy about light skin because it is equated with beauty particularly in the case of girls. I don't know whether it is the legacy of the British rule or whether it is in our genes. What ever might be the reason, Indian women will go to any lengths to lighten their skin. Skin lightening creams like Fair & Lovely are the biggest and surest selling cosmetics in the Indian market. Haldi is supposed to have numerous health as well as cosmetic benefits. However, bleaching is not one of them. All it does is, when applied in very small quantities for a very short period of time, it leaves a very beautiful glow and once again not on everybody. If a girl has a naturally healthy and beautiful complexion, haldi just enhances it. An unhealthy and sickly pallor cannot be helped by anything other than healthy diet etc. In addition to enhancing the complexion, haldi has other cosmetic benefits. Haldi is believed to act as a mild hair remover and if used regularly, facial hair will not be a serious problem. Haldi also has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. So, it helps acne and pimples immensely. As you rightly pointed out excessive application and leaving it on for a long time does make the person look like a jaundice patient. Here are a couple of correct ways of using haldi as a cosmetic. While having the daily shower, take a pinch of turmeric powder, mix it with a drop of water and apply it to the face. Leave it on for the time it takes to scrub the body. Then rinse it off first with water and then use the body wash as usual to scrub the face. A second way is to make a mask. For this, whole mung (green gram) is powdered very finely and this powder is mixed with haldi in the proportion of a cup mung powder to a teaspoon of haldi. Store it in an airtight jar. When you want to apply the mask (which should be once every couple of days) make a paste of the mung-haldi powder mix with plain yogurt and apply the mask. Leave it on till it dries, wash off with cold water and apply a moisturizer. This does absolute wonders to the complexion including getting rid of the acne spots.

Also, misc. other stuff I've collected (sorry I do't have all the URLs, but then can probably be found by searching the words):

1/2 t. Powdered Turmeric
    Use just enough water or yogurt or milk to make a paste-like
    substance. Not too thick though.
    Leave on for 30 mins. (yikes)
    and wash off.Use 2 times/week

It must be used for a looooong time before results are seen making it permanate.

The 5,000-year-old wisdom that ayurveda offers is a complete way of life. Yes, ayurveda does treat excessive hair growth. The treatment includes a combination of drugs (mineral origin) and herbs. Proper purification is also needed to ensure that the treatment works. Apply a paste of realgar and lime on the affected region. Use betel leaves to cover this area. After about an hour and a half, remove and wash off. You could also apply the following: grind together seashell powder *(96 gms), realgar* (24 gms), yellow orpiment* (48 gms) and navasaram* (48 gms). Leave on for half an hour and wash off with cold water. This should be done strictly under the supervision of an ayurvedic consultant.

Alternatively, you can apply a paste made of 25 gms wild turmeric* (fresh ones are more preferable) mixed with water on the region. Leave on till dry. Rub gently and wash off with cold milk. Doing this regularly will help remove the unwanted hair. (*Products available at stores selling herbal products) http://www.gulf-news.com/Articles/people-places.asp?ArticleID=108113

For Pimples, Black rings and unwanted hair on the face.

Take pure Turmeric powder in a mortar (medical). Better get turmeric sticks and make powder by yourself. Because turmeric powder from shops may be adulterated and may contain aromatic dyes or chemicals which may harm the face. Add cucumber juice, lime juice, pure rose water, neem leaf juice to the mortar. Mix it. Then add a little pure natural honey and mix nicely with mortar mixer handle till it becomes an uniform mixer. Collect it in a clean sterile glass cup and store in fridge. Apply it over the face uniformly. Wash with glycerin soap and clean lukewarm water after 3 hours. Do this regularly. Pimples, black rings around eyes and unwanted facial hair will gradually disappear. Face will become sooth and shiny.
    Married to one awesome guy Hidden Content with two sweet little guys.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

The other day I was actually thinking about using this for excess body hair as well as a way to prevent ingrown hairs (anti-inflammatories). Did you ever try this? If so, how did it work for you?

Thanks for all the info!
    SJ
    * Dx PCOS or IR July 2001
    * IsoCare's Skin Control Cleanser
    * Paula's Choice 2% BHA & Skin Lightener (when I cheat)
    * Personalized Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Trans Fat Free, No Added Sugar, plus+ Diet

Thanks

I have not heard of this but heard of tumeric we use it to colour our rice when we have a curry

I might try it on the skin for the 7 days first just to see how yellow it actually stains the skin. and maybe try it on a patch on hair on the leg
    My Name: Suzanne
    My Husband: Gav Hidden Content
    Diagnosed: June 1998
    Medication: 2000mg Metformin, 10mg Amlodopine, 2.5mg Bendroflumethiazide

Registered User Faith, Hope, Love ...'s Avatar
    Thanks

Default herbal hair removal resource -- reads promising

Thanks

Default turmeric that doesn't make your skin yellow

I am from India and I know that they are two kinds of turmeric, one that makes your skin real yellow and one that doesn't stain your skin or clothes. The latter is called "Kasturi Manjal" in the language Tamil, scientific name is "Curcuma Aromatica"

You may try using that for those who can do with a little less yellow !

Cheers,

f, h, l ...

Thanks

Default Warning !!!

Stores sell turmeric that are used for cooking like somebody in tis thread previously mentioned -- for food colouring. These usually have chilli powder in thme since they are espcially meant for cooking. Please buy turmeric products meant for the face, NOT FOR COOKING -- thye may not explicitly say so but they may have some chilli powder etc. in them. Check the labels !!!

Thanks

Thanks for the tip faith, hope, love
    My Name: Suzanne
    My Husband: Gav Hidden Content
    Diagnosed: June 1998
    Medication: 2000mg Metformin, 10mg Amlodopine, 2.5mg Bendroflumethiazide

Thanks

Thumbs up turmeric -- topical and intake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

something to get us started on ...

Thanks

http://www.theherbaladvisor.com/pharmacopoeia.html

scroll down to T and check out turmeric.

Do you guys think if we can get turmeric essential oil from somewhere, it is gonna be stronger than applying just the paste. We could easily apply the oil before we retire for the night on chin face or other areas, so the effect of the "yellow" is not very prominent in the morning.

We could probably apply turmeric on weekends or even if we use them on working days, one could wear dark clothes so the staining is not there.

?

Thanks

Default home remedies: a buncha stuff on facial hair removal

Thanks

Smile Turmeric essnetial oil?

http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.co...ric-p-365.html

Has anybody tried turmeric essential oil?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faith, Hope, Love ...
    http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.co...ric-p-365.html

Has anybody tried turmeric essential oil?
    Thanks so much for posting this. I hope it works, but we may have to dilute it with a carrier oil in case it might be irritating (jojoba, coconut or emu). I'd love to spot treat unwanted hair with this and of course I really want to go back to waxing my legs, but due to inflammation I get ingrown hairs and so I was hoping tumeric would solve it (but didn't want to apply some icky paste).

Here's the other good deals in terms of cost
    http://libertynatural.com/bulk/412.htm
    http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/aroma/q-z.php
    Last edited by SweetJade; 04-10-2006 at 09:19 PM.
    * Dx PCOS or IR July 2001
    * IsoCare's Skin Control Cleanser
    * Paula's Choice 2% BHA & Skin Lightener (when I cheat)
    * Personalized Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Trans Fat Free, No Added Sugar, plus+ Diet

Thanks

Great idea about using the Turmeric as an essential oil! Very important about mixing it with a carrier oil though as mentioned. Emu is really good, but a bit expensive. It has the added bonus of being good for acne.

Of course right now I'm being cautious with essential oils (pregnant)...

Please everyone who tries this, remember to share your results.
    Last edited by kittykay; 04-12-2006 at 01:25 AM.
    Married to one awesome guy Hidden Content with two sweet little guys.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content