3DS + 1DD = 1 CRAZY momma sugarbug's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Strep B in kidney

I'm not pregnant. I was negative for strep B while pregnant (10 months ago) and have had 3 kidney inefctions in the last year. Each time I've had multiple lab cultures done- that show no sign of a bladder infection. Each diagnosis has been off an enlarged kidney via ultrasound. Except this time the lab came back saying I also have strep B. How did I get strep B in my kidney without a bladder infection? I feel like crud, and the only sign I'm showing (besides pain) is protein in my urine- which is common in diabetes. Any thoughts on how I got strep B? Or why it's more common in diabetes? I can't find any information on it without pregnancy.... Does this mean my kidney is failing?

Bug
    DS#1 my Hidden Content 1998 (14)
    DS#2 my miracle 2004 (8)
    DS#3 my blessing adopted in 2006 (7)
    DD!!! my surprise & my last 2012

Thanks

bump...

Loving being a mommy! kirvygerl's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi,
    I haven't had this problem myself, but I have studied this quite a bit (and learned about it in a Microbiology class) when I knew of someone who had the same problem. It is quite possible to get a strep B infection in your kidney w/o having a bladder infection. There are many different bacterias that are in the vagina normally, and don't cause any problems. Group Strep B reside in the GI, reproductive, and urinary tracts of 10-35% of all healthy women. It is when the GSB colonizes that it causes the problems, especially when in the reproductive tract of pregnant woman. It may not cause too much of a problem for the mom, it's in the baby where it can cause a stillborn death, blindness, hearing loss, kidney failure,ect. That is why mom's get tested these days. It may have been in your vagina and traveled up your urinary tract and not caused a problem until it was in your kidney and didn't get flushed out, or grew too fast for the body to take care of it on its own. Do you urinate frequently? That will help to flush out your urinary tract. It is also important that you wipe from front to back (to avoid contamination if it's in your GI tract) and urinate right after sex. Also, has your DH been tested or is he having any problems? He may carry it on the skin of his penis (which is normal) and it may be something that you are passing back and forth.

Have you been on antibiotics? If they are not working for you, you may want to ask about IV antibiotics as that seems to be one of the best treatments for a kidney Strep B infection. It is important however that you get this treated. Left untreated it can cause kidney problems. Not to be an alarmist, but it can also spread from your kidneys to other organs that can cause serious health difficulties for you.

Good luck~ I hope you get the help you need to feel better quickly!

Thanks

I'm seeing an Endo tomorrow, and taking antibiotics. The second culture came back today, with another negative for a bladder infection. The anal and vaginal swab are - also. They said they aren't sure how I got it in my kidney, but further testing and the endo should be able to get to the bottom of it. UGH!
    DS#1 my Hidden Content 1998 (14)
    DS#2 my miracle 2004 (8)
    DS#3 my blessing adopted in 2006 (7)
    DD!!! my surprise & my last 2012

Thanks

That is strange that you have it in your kidney but test - in those other areas. Hopefully the anitbiotics will clear it up, or at least keep it from doing any damage to your kidney/s and/or spreading while your dr figures it out.

Good luck tomorrow. I am sure that it is hard being a busy mommy and being sick! Has anyone been able to help you out so you can get some rest?

Keep us updated~

I Love my Twins!!! chelle_belle99504l's Avatar
    Thanks

Bug ~ If you need help, call me!!!!! I hope they can get to the root of the problem. Let me know what I can do!

Chelle
    Me 32 DH Mike 31
    DX: 9/2/03
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kirvygerl
    That is strange that you have it in your kidney but test - in those other areas.
    Tell me about it! Scary having a bacterial infection, and not knowing the cause! I was reading about pelvic abcesses or possible womb infections... I had a C-section- I wonder if I was somehow exposed?

As for help w/being sick- it's normal around here! I'll survive, if I can just stay out of the hospital!

Thanks Chelle

Thanks

Sugarbug,
    Just wondering how you are feeling? Have you been to the dr yet? Any news?

Hope you are well on your way to recovery!

Thanks

Yeah (what a jerk!!) but he did say that it's not that unusual to get strep B in your kidney and not in your bladder. He said some people are just more prone to kidney infections, and that you don't have to be a "carrier" vaginally/anal to catch it. For example: you could go to a public restroom, wash your hands, contact strep B on the faucet, and then the next time you go to the bathroom- you wipe your urethra, and there you have it- strep b in the bladder which then travels up to the kidney's. He wasn't concerned at all. Told me, to just keep on taking the antibiotics. It's painful, but not worrisome- in his opinion.

Thanks for your concern!
    Bug