Thanks

Question Laser Hair Removal covered on insurance

Does anyone think that we'll ever be able to have laser hair removal covereed on our insurance? What would it take for it to be considered. I know that it would probably open a huge can of worms but its just not fair to have to deal with these issues and not be able to afford the solution. Any comments?
    ~Amanda~
    Diagnosed: June 2004

Thanks

Unfortunately most insurance companies consider this treatment to be cosmetic, like plastic surgery or teeth whitening. To be sure, contact your benefits administrator and the company itself, and refer to your benefits manual. Even though this is the result of a syndrome, if it doesn't cause you to be in physical pain, they probably won't cover it because they feel you can live with it. They really should cover it, because they could just say only people with the following syndromes qualify, not just anybody who doesn't want to shave their legs anymore, but companies are very stingy and callous, I bet if the CEO of the company had PCOS, things would be a lot different...

Thanks

Ohh i have a comment!

A couple of years ago I called my insurance company and asked if it *could* be covered and they told me that *IF* my doctor could prove that it was medically necessary than they would pay for it. Now, this came off the heels of me having a ginormous-runaway-city-eating-Mothra-V-Godzilla-ZIT on my chin that I had to go to the EMERGENCY ROOM for because I spiked a 105 temp and they had to cut open my face and give me 5 stitches.. ew!

anywhoo.. the culprit? Yes, a dreadded ingrown hair! bastards. I know its reaching a wee bit, but had I not gone to the ER and got it taken care of, the battle might have taken a different turn.

I say thats medically necessary, dont you? Too bad when I called them on it, they turned tail like scared puppies and denied me the services.. I think its because they didnt see the zit.
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you.

But Im going to look fabulous up to the end Hidden Content

Thanks

Well, I have heard that here in the UK, laser hair removal has been considered under the National Health System in severe cases when it was causing a lot of distress to the patient. I think there was even a cyster who got hair removal for free on the NHS. If our cash-strapped NHS, which does not cover cosmetic procedures in general, can consider it even in rare cases, I don't think that all hope is lost. I understand that most insurance companies would refuse to cover it, but maybe in future there will be more awareness of the distress of treating the symptoms of PCOS?