Thanks

Question sour stomach - what helps and whats safe?

i dont know if it's heartburn or just sour stomach... it's not moving up my esophagus, it's pretty much only in my tummy. i've been living on tums everyday for the past week or so and its getting worse. the tums used to help, but now dont really seem to phase it.

i just read an article tonight on ulcers and some myths. found out something interesting/ironic. it was in sept issue of parents (or parenting, i can never remember which one i get)

it said milk does not help ulcers, it may make you feel better for a while but the calcium in the milk is actually an acid stimulant.

ok, milk does help me for a while, i would usually eat a small bowl of cereal when my stomach would start hurting then it would feel better. i know its not an ulcer, but the principle is the same. back to the tums... they are a CALCIUM supplement, and the article said calcium is an acid stimulant, so whats the deal? it seems then that tums contradict themselves.

anyone else have luck with anything over the counter? i plan on calling dr in morning to get advice, but would like to know options and what has worked for you guys.
    Dxd with PCOS in 2001
    Married 8 years to dh Kevin
    me 31 dh 27

Hidden Content [/CENTER]

Thanks

Stop taking tums its a vicious cycle....it is taking away all ur stomach acid,which pushes ur stomach to produce more acid to compensate.....

Are u consuming acidic foods,tomatos,citrus,peppers,spices etc???? Stick to a bland diet,of steamed veggies,fruits,avoid wheat(major acid producer) and stick to rice for a while...That should help for starters... (((hugs))) I know its no fun to have a bad tummy
    day!!

Good luck!!!!
    Last edited by Tharaa; 08-09-2005 at 04:24 AM.

Thanks

I started taking tums a week or so ago for sour stomach and the third day I took them all heck broke loose. I was throwing up and sick non stop. I had a feeling it was the tums that was making me feel worse so I stopped taking them. I'm still having m/s and sour stomach but since I stopped taking tums, I haven't thrown up once. Tums is a vicious cycle, I agree. I would leave them alone.
    Sophia 28
    Dx PCOS 8/2004 & Started taking Metformin, 1000
    mg x2 a day. TTC since June 2005
    +++BFP+++ July 19 2005Hidden Content
    Nicolas Alexander born 3.21.06, 6lbs 4 ozs and 20 inches!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Preggo Pops and Peppermints help take the edge off MS for me... nothing else really seemed to faze it.

Good luck
    Me ~ 33 DH ~ 37
    Alexis Christine 11/25/05 Born @ 30 weeks
    Kaelyn Briana 12/26/07 36 wks

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    It's a BOY!
    Hidden Content

Thanks

ok thanks... didnt know that about wheat. i broke down at 3 am and got up and had a bowl of wheat cereal and more tums. feel better now though. this is diferent than ms, maybe the later version. i've always heard heartburn at this stage which it feels more like but hasnt moved up into chest. i called dr about maybe some tagamet or prevacid or whatever those OTC meds are for acid indegestion. all i know is tums and pepto are NOT gonna do the trick! also will watch diet... yes i had italian for dinner last night and knew right away that contributed... but it seems anything anymore sets it off when i need to get some sleep.
    Dxd with PCOS in 2001
    me 31 dh 27

Hidden Content [/CENTER]

Thanks

Yep - all food sets it off for me. Bland or not. But for me, tums does the job for now. Stay away from Italian - the garlic is a killer...

Thanks

I mix a half tsp of baking soda with a little water and drink it quickly, then chase it with a bit more water because the taste is gross. But it works quickly, is cheap as anything, and neutralizes that sour feeling immediately.

Thanks

duh... i've done the baking soda and water for years and actually lived on it first trimester (yes i'm pg with a girl so am VERY forgetful) dont have a prob with sodium so it's still good.

i'm getting dh to stop at the store for the BRAT diet items, and hopefully will hear something from doc soon.

my dad actually mentioned for me to take mylecon (sp?) drops. i said burping wasnt my problem (i'm a champ right now) but i wonder if it would help. good ol dad....
    Dxd with PCOS in 2001
    me 31 dh 27

Hidden Content [/CENTER]

Not reckless w/my nipple. shorty1kanobi's Avatar
    Thanks

ginger (in the form of tea, ale, or even gingersnaps) is often a good way to help with that feeling. Another is to spread your food out over several small meals throughout the day, making sure you aren't getting to the point of being super hungry before you eat.
    Mandy
    Proud Mommy to Emily born April 7, 2005 and Joseph born January 17, 2008

Thanks

I've been taking Zantac 75 and its working well. I had terrible reflux though. It says it helps with acid & sour stomach. I was told dairy is no good with these problems as it produces more acid.
    Hope it gets better soon!

Thanks

Have you tried Gaviscon? When I was pregnant with Zachary I had a bottle with me everyware I went. I also heard, and found, that it's better to sleep on your left side. I found heartburn and indigestion got worse if I was laying down but sleeping on my left really helped.
    Kirsty

Hidden Content

I'm 22, and mother of the worlds cutest little boy
    We did it, we're having another baby,
    I'm due on the 18 of March!!

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

it's been much better. i got dh to get things for brat diet and snack on that instead of cereal and such. i also am doing the bakingsoda/water combo and it helps (try it if you havent) thanks Ammaarah - and tagamet.

i've found left side sleeping is better too, my aunt told me right side sleeping helps with heartburn so i tried that and found it wasnt so....

and i forgot about gingerale... have to get some as i LOVE it. thanks guys
    Dxd with PCOS in 2001
    me 31 dh 27

Hidden Content [/CENTER]