Thanks

Default Amoxicillin for acne??

Hello ladies,
    I went to my derm last week and was prescribed Amoxicillin 500mg twice daily for acne.Has anyone heard of this before? I know about Minocycline,Tetra and Doxyciline for acne,but I never heard of Amoxicillin for acne.I did my research and apparently the amoxicillin kills the" bacteria wall" that houses the acne,or the begining to the breakout process.So I'll give you all an update,my derm said give it 6 weeks and come back to her.In addition to the amoxicillin,she prescribed tazarac 1% topical cream,which kills the p.acne(the bacteria that makes it to the surface),clindamycin 1% solution which goes into the pores to kill the bacteria.So we will see.With the amoxicillin killing the bacteria on the inside,and the tazarac and clindamycin killing it on the outside,I'm praying that this is a sucess.I'm not a med fan @ all,so it was hard to finally ask for a script for some med,but I need to get this acne under control.Let me if anyone has used any of the products I mentioned above,and I'll keep you posted on my progress
    SEEK God FIRST,and EVERYTHING else will fall into place!!!
    Matthew 6:33

Chloe M.Murray
    Current WT:205 goal 175lbs ,lost 70lbs on Atkins and put 20 bck on due to stressHidden Content
    Recently Engaged and TTC
    Current Meds:Sprinolactone 100,Multivitamin,Just starting Fortamet 500,going up to 2000 a day within a month.

Thanks

Yes, I'm taking that. I took it before, in between birth control pills, and am taking it again. Tried evening primrose oil, but I may not have been taking enough, for long enough. My cystic acne is widespread so it's hard for me to do anything topical. So I just started taking the amoxycillin again, I figured it's only temporary because if I get PG soon I'll stop the amox right away.

Have you tried the birth control pill to control the acne? That works for me also, and I think it's better for your system than being on antibiotics long term, if you dont' have side effects. For a long time as a teen, I took the tetracycline, I dont' think it worked that well.

So yes, the amox does work for me. If it works for you, it may take a month or so to kick in. Believe me I don't like taking antibiotics long term either, but since I'm TTC I can't be on the Pill, and the acne is just too painful and scarring. Last year I suffered for months before getting the script for the amox. I've given in to the fact that I will have to take something the rest of my life for it.
    35 yrs old
    TTC for 1 1/2 years, Kieran born July 6 2006
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Hello Ophelia,
    Thanks for responding,it's good to hear that I'm not the only one that's taking this.I started about 1 1/2 weeks ago,so I'll be patient..I was on Ortho Tri-cyclen,for many years,and it was lovely,never had any bad breakouts,just a pimple here and there.I decided to take myself off after I dropped 40 lbs,because I was primarly on it to make me have a peroid anyways,after the weight loss by the grace of God,I've had a regular menses on my own with no meds for 3 years now.I'm even ovulating again and have been since last year!!! I was told by my doc,that since I'm now ovulating,I don't want to distrub that with BCP or other hormones,not unless I had too.The funny thing is my acne had really cleared up,just using some products I brought from a place I was getting laser hair removal @.It was by MDFormulations.Skin was smooth,was just having problems with scarring,but back in July,my acne came back again,and so I consulted a derm and that's when we got decided on the amoxicillin.I'm not TTC @ this point,but I know when I do,I will have to stop this amox,I'm just praying that my acne won't be as active at that point to even be a issue....
    God Bless

Chloe M.Murray
    Current WT:205 goal 175lbs ,lost 70lbs on Atkins and put 20 bck on due to stressHidden Content
    Recently Engaged and TTC
    Current Meds:Sprinolactone 100,Multivitamin,Just starting Fortamet 500,going up to 2000 a day within a month.

Thanks

I forgot to mention, you probably already know this. Don't forget to eat some yogurt, acidophilus (sp) or some other type of good bacteria because the antibiotic will kill both the good and the bad in your stomach.
    35 yrs old
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks Ophelia,
    I did forgot that,so I'll grab some yogurt tonight when I go to the grocery store.How many mg(milligram) is your amoxicillin and how much do you take a day?

Chloe M.Murray
    Recently Engaged and TTC

Thanks

The pills are 250mg and I take twice a day, so 500 total. The script was written out for 3 a day, but I do fine on two. I tried cutting it down to 1 before, but the cysts started coming back, so I have to keep it at two. If I forget a dose, no big deal I just can't do that all the time.

If I do get PG soon, I'll just quit the amox and live with the cysts for 9 months, or if we decide to stop TTC I'll go back on the Pill to control the acne. Luckily I do not have any noticeable side effects from the amox.

Good luck I know how frustrating the acne can be
    35 yrs old
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Oh OK,thanks for the info.
    God Bless

Chloe M.Murray
    Recently Engaged and TTC

Thanks

If you are going to be on antibiotic treatment, you should actually take Lactobacillus Acidophilus or some type of probiotic supplement. I wish I had known this as I have taken a lot of antibiotics in my life including for acne and am now having a lot of health issues due to candidiasis and lack healthy flora in my body. Just a suggestion. You might also want to take Milk Thistle Seed as the antibiotics are very hard on your liver as well.
    Mandi-30 Ron-35
    Married 6/14/03
    DX-2001
    Sprintec, HCTZ, Lopressor 200mg, Prozac 20mg, Metformin ER, Byetta
    Furbabies- Hidden Content Chuck & Cassidy Hidden Content Gabby & Nikita
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Hello Mandi78,
    Thanks for your input also.I know there are prons and cons with everything.I know that long term antibotics aren't good,actually I HATE medication.It took me 1 yr to decide to take this.My acne had flarred up so bad a few months back that I was desperate and instead of getting back on OrthTriCyceln or going to Accutane(which I am so afraid off),I found a happy meduim with Amoxicillin.I don't plan to be on them for too long.In one of my other post,I told the cysters that I got my first salcylic acid peel last week and I can already see a difference it's made.My derm recommends I get them every 2 weeks and so I have other things I'm doing that will hopefully get the acne under complete control so I can come off the amoxocillin in aboout 6 months are so.But once again thank you for the input.I need all the suggestions I can get because I've never been on antibotics long term.If you have any other ideas/comments feel free to let me know

Chloe M.Murray
    Recently Engaged and TTC

Registered User bellel4as@sbcglobal.net's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Accutane

For those that are thinking about taking this drug DON'T; it works great but boy oh boy the side effects and everything else that goes with it. Good skin is not worth it to me. I was taking accutane when I was 18-19 years old and the stuff it did to me. I have scars on my arms and legs just because I scratched because I had an itch, it gives you hives, 2 or more menses in a month, my eyes would be glued shut in the mornings, my liver and other organs tolerated it...Praise God!! My skin would tear sometimes and bleed..people at work thought I was a freak. Then the derm took me off of it and my skin went right back to what it was before...it took about 4 months for it to turn back to what it was but still it is not worth putting your life on that line. The dr told me not to get pg for 3 years because of the side effects and they didn't know how long it would take before it was out of my system. The pictures of those babies were omg; there is no word to describe what I saw. So please stay away. Yes, it took the pain away but it also brought on new pain.

Thanks

Hello bellel4as,
    I agree with you,I actually HATE medication altogether also.My skin had broken out soo bad though,that I needed a antibotic to get on the inside and work.I used Amoxicillin all last month and seen a great improvement.I went to see my derm yestersday and I'm off it now.It wasn't because anything happened.I just HATE medication,and there was no way I would want to take any medication long term.I've never used Accutane,and never will.I'm very scared of that drug.I believe that some makeup I was using cause me to have the bad breakouts I'd been having the past few months.SO I brought some new makeup last month,and with the amoxiciilin I took last month,the glycolic and salycic peels I get every 2 weeks,along with the topical prescriptions I'm using,and much prayer...MY skin is clear and smooth again.So yes I know that strong medication,especially antibotics aren't necessarily good for you,but the way my skin was,I HAD TO DO SOMETHING.I had tried everything else.To me my skin is everything because that's the first thing that I wake up to in the morning and also the first thing the world see's.Not that I care about what people see or think of me,but I just have to be comfortable and @ peace with looking @ me,and when I'm not I have to explore other options....

Chloe M.Murray
    Recently Engaged and TTC