Thanks

Default Low carb diet and stomach pain

I started a low carb diet on August 25 and the past week or so I've had terrible stomach cramps and completely lost my appetite. Most of the time, the thought of eating makes me gag. I eat because I know I should and afterwards I get terrible cramps and feel very nauseous. I also started the birth control pill on Sunday, so I don't know if my stomach pain is caused by the new diet or the new pill. Does anyone know anything about what's causing this or what can help??
    There's only us, there's only this. Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other road, no other way, NO DAY BUT TODAY!

Hidden Content
    Dx: 8/23/05

Thanks

It could be because your body is not able to break down all that protein,you can try taking papain a digestive enzyme from papaya with meals,and if your low in stomach acid,a hydrochloric acid pill might help.

Thanks

Smile

Sorry to hear this!!! Not fun in the least! My totally uneducated opinion is that it sounds like the BCP. I experienced an almost mock pregnancy when I first started the pill back when I was 16. You may want to try some anti-gas meds. OR...there is great new OTC med out there that has helped me greatly! Although I don't have IBS (irratable bowl syndrome) this med is for that to help stimulate the nerves that move the food down. Its by a company called Digestive Advantage and the name of it is "Irritable Bowl Syndrome". Its a chewable all natural pill. Its great and has helped me! Its 7.62 at WalMart. Just an opinion....

My other thought is it the things you are eating. I would give a try to a nutrition shake kind of thing instead of eating and see what happens. Maybe a week on that might help your body adjust to a change in diet! Diets, believe it or not, can be hard on the body. Its so used to "junk" so when you start to eat healthy your body will send ya signs...but eventually it will get the memo! LOL

Sorry to hear you arent feelin too great! I pray for better days around the corner!

God Bless you!
    Shari (36) Hidden Content David (43) Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Me and My Daddy....9/11/05

Metformin and spiro
    PCOS for 20 years

The Pink Ribbon is in honor of my mom, 2 aunts, gram and great gram! Pray for a cure!

"God hasn't called me to do great thing, but to do great thing with great love" Mother Teresa
    "Preach the gospel, and sometimes use words" St. Francis of Asisi

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Could also be from constipation due to lack of fiber in the diet...

Mod of Diet and Exercise! Maddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Are you eating enough?

Veggies are low in carbs and full of fibre - adding them in will help if it is constipation problems.

What do you eat in a typical day?
    I finally have healthy ovaries free of cysts!
    Starting a personal walking challenge for charity - 300 miles in 35 days! August - September Hidden Content

have one son, two beautiful grandsons

Thanks

Typically I eat a salad with chicken for lunch and dinner. If i eat breakfast it's eggs or bacon. Sometimes I'll have a cheeseburger without the bun for dinner. Occasionally I'll have a sandwich with lettuce instead of bread, or once slice of whole wheat bread on the bottom and lettuce on the top. I also bought atkins advantage bars for if I don't have time to eat and I get really hungry in class. If I want a snack I usually have cucumber and no carb ranch dressing. I don't think I'm constipated.Thanks for your advice ladies.
    There's only us, there's only this. Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other road, no other way, NO DAY BUT TODAY!

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't think you are eating enough.

Try counting your calories for a couple of days to check

Also are you drinking enough water - when you eat very low carb you can lose a lot of water and lack of water can result in cramping - also lack of potassium can result in cramps too - losing a lot of water = loss of potassium which is why Atkins recommends taking a potassium supplement.

Other than that have you started to eat something you never ate before?
    Starting a personal walking challenge for charity - 300 miles in 35 days! August - September Hidden Content

Thanks

No-one's going to get healthy on cheeseburgers, and is that sustainable for the rest of your life, if it's causing problems after a couple of weeks? Maybe low carbing isn't for you. We're designed to have carbs - you can lsoe weight easily on a diet that's 60% carbs, although you might as well make them *good* ones, like fruit, veg, wholemeal bread and pasta. Studies show that the body stores the fat in food as fat on your body much more readily than it stores the carbs as fat, although if you go overboard on carbs you will gain weight because you're eating too many calories. Low carb diets *work* because they are in effect, just another way of restricting calories. What I'm trying to say is, there are easier - and more sustainable - ways of losing weight. So why stick with something that makes you feel ill?

I'd cut the junk food and simply start eating healthily. You can theoretically lose weight on a diet of cheeseburgers and fatty meat but your arteries will still be clogging up with fat, even as your scales are registering a lower weight. Any diet that makes you feel this ill isn't worth it. It seems to me from reading a lot of message boards that low carbing is problematic for many people because they get to the stage when they even look at a piece of bread, they gain 2lb - and you can't live the rest of your entire life like that. Also, it isn't addressing the underlying issues like compulsion, eating for health, exercise, changing your way of eating for life not just for a quick fix. In *The PCOS Diet Book*, Collette Harris is quite sceptical about low carbing and explains why although it looks good *on paper* for women with PCOS, it may not be such a good idea.

There are so many diets out there, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one you like, that won't make you feel ill. If it's the pill, then the only way round that is asking your doctor to change it and see how you feel after that. If it is the pill, not the diet I'd still say change the diet as you're more likely to feel nauseus after trying to eat stuff like cheeseburgers, than you would after eating healthy, low fat wholefood.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maddy
    I don't think you are eating enough.

Try counting your calories for a couple of days to check

Also are you drinking enough water - when you eat very low carb you can lose a lot of water and lack of water can result in cramping - also lack of potassium can result in cramps too - losing a lot of water = loss of potassium which is why Atkins recommends taking a potassium supplement.

Other than that have you started to eat something you never ate before?
    I feel like I'm eating enough. A lot of the time I'm too queasy to eat a lot, and I make myself eat lunch or dinner but I can't eat too much. I've been trying to keep up with my water intake but I'm probably lacking a little. I just went out and bought a case of water so hopefully I'll keep up with it. I'm trying to pick up water bottles on my way to class instead of diet soda, which is what I always used to grab. I didn't know that about potassium, I'll look into getting a potassiuim supplement. Thank you!

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Lack of Potassium

Lack of potassium may cause muscle weakness, irregular heartbeat, mood changes, or nausea and vomiting. A shortage of potassium can cause a lack of energy, muscle cramps and stomach disturbances

Potassium deficiency will increase acid levels in the body, lowering the natural pH,

The most common symptom of potassium depletion is fatigue. Other symptoms of potassium deficiency include slow reflexes, muscle weakness, and dry skin.

A low level of potassium can be determined with a blood test and can be treated with potassium supplements.