Thanks

Default Anyone have the Meridian IUD....

After the birth of my baby (16months ago already) I had the meridian IUD put in. My body has been going "crazy" these past three months and it just dawned on my that I am having pcos symptoms all over the place! Does anyone know if pcos ispossible with an IUD in place??
    1st clomid worked!
    major depression, BPD, bulimia
    ABIGAIL MARIE DAHL, born May 3rd, 2004
    (welcomed home by sisters Bethany and Jenna)

Wife, mommy, and cyster! MommyJenny74's Avatar
    Thanks

My doctor didn't want me to get an IUD because of my bleeding history. He said they are sometimes related to heavier/irregular bleeding (even in women who don't have PCOS or who usually have regular periods). Sorry this doesn't help much! I would say that it could be the IUD causing the increased PCOS symptoms. I don't know about the meridian type, I know some IUD's release hormones so maybe that's the trouble? I hope you feel better soon!
    Jenny
    Jenny(30) Josh (30) married 3/30/96
    PCOS dx 1/03
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi

I've got the Mirena ius, is that a similar thing? Ive had it about 18 months or so and love it. My terribly heavy af are much lighter now, and the bleeding is much less too (tmi). My gyn said that it was the best thing in his opinion.

hth. Eva
    PCOS, LOCAH, ER+ breast cancer, Endom, Lichen Planus, IBS, HS, raised bp/ cholesterol. Meds: Spiro, Bendrofluazide, Amlodopine, Simvastatin, Met, Prednisolone, Mebeverine, Omeprazole, Tamoxafen ,

Me - 45, hubby 39 son 15 Married 18 years

She is buffeted by the wind, but she does not sink.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I had the IUD and hated it. I was in pain for 6-7 weeks that it was in. When I sat down it felt like something sharp was jabbing me inside. I couldnt deal with it anymore. I had it removed not long after that and went on the Nuva Ring until Jan 2005.

I bled the whole time that thing was in me. My opinion is it sucked and I think my ob/gyn didnt know what the heck she was doing when she put that thing in me.

It's all coming together! grooveintheheart's Avatar
    Thanks

Jodiedahl,

I've not heard of that brand of IUD. However, if it releases synthetic progesterone, like the Mirena, it very well could be increasing your symptoms! Synthetic progesterone and natural progesterone act quite differently on the body.

This is the exact reason I decided to go with the ParaGard IUD. Just copper. No hormones.

Interestingly enough, the IUD insertion helped me get my PCOS dx. After a year I was still having bad abdominal pain, but only on the left side. I told her I wanted the thing out! She talked me into an ultrasound and saw all the tiny cysts on my left ovary. Since I found out, I feel a little *ping* at midcycle but no bad pain anymore. Mind-body connection is really strong.

Hope you can pinpoint your problems and get some relief!
    Leslie Hidden Content

42 yo, divorced; Mom to Tim (15) & ZoŽ (14)
    IR, hirsutism, ovarian cysts
    N-Acetyl-Cysteine, 1800 mg; Chromium, 200 mg; Chasteberry, Flax oil
    fluoxetine hydrochloride, 40 mg; Klonopin, .5 mg, & magnesium citrate for mental health

Thanks

I could very well have the spelling or word wrong (i'm using my bad memory). Very inertesting.. I have very bad "tings" on my left side when I stand of sit from lying position!

I have an app't on Tuesday. Since I am done having children I am hoping she will consider tying my tubes if that would help the pcos. I have a history of bad complications from surgery so she is very hesitant to operate on me! I am getting extremely frustrated with these symptoms again- mostly the weight gain.
    1st clomid worked!
    major depression, BPD, bulimia
    ABIGAIL MARIE DAHL, born May 3rd, 2004
    (welcomed home by sisters Bethany and Jenna)

Wife, mommy, and cyster! MommyJenny74's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Jodie
    I just wanted to let you know that I've heard that many women (especially those with hormonal problems like PCOS) do not do well with having their tubes tied. I believe there is even a syndrome that can happen after having your tubes tied, there again, lots of hormone problems etc. I don't have any personal experience with this. After we had our third child last year, my OB (a perinatologist) did tell me he hoped I would consider another form of birth control instead of having my tubes tied. Apparently he thought it can cause problems in PCOS ladies. I'm sure I've heard other cysters talking about this elsewhere on the board-- maybe you could find more info by searching. Sorry to reply with such limited info, I just wanted you to have all the facts before you decide! Good luck
    Jenny
    Jenny(30) Josh (30) married 3/30/96
    PCOS dx 1/03
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I had the Mirena IUD in for one year to help with a heavy flow. It was a horrible year. I felt Prmenstral for the entire year....a yucky "heavy " feeling in the stomach. I had my period every two weeks and they lasted for two weeks. I also gained weight while on it. It unfortunately did not work for me and therefor I am not an advocate of it. I have decided to get an ablation to help with the bleeding. Good luck and hopefully it will work for you, but it sounds kind of sketchy. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding it.
    Insulin Resistance
    1500 Met

Hidden Content

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."---Helen Keller Hidden Content

Thanks

Default Meridian IUD

I've just recently had the Meridian IUD put in to help with my heavy periods and moderate to severe cramping. I discussed my alternatives with my doctor and she suggested I try the Meridian IUD first. It was necessary that I was on my period when I had it done, but now I am on day 17 of my period. I'm wondering if it's ever going to stop. Other than the initial cramps right after putting it in, I haven't had any cramps. But I wonder if I'm going to bleed to death. After reading the comments above mine, I'm wondering if I made the right decision.

Thanks

welcome to sc teemleaf can you speak to your dr about your constant bleeding?? so you can put your mind at rest.
    eva
    PCOS, LOCAH, ER+ breast cancer, Endom, Lichen Planus, IBS, HS, raised bp/ cholesterol. Meds: Spiro, Bendrofluazide, Amlodopine, Simvastatin, Met, Prednisolone, Mebeverine, Omeprazole, Tamoxafen ,

Me - 45, hubby 39 son 15 Married 18 years

She is buffeted by the wind, but she does not sink.

Thanks

I had the Mirena and it was wonderful. I had to have a hormonal option because of hyperplasia. My doctor didn't want my lining building up. I had AF every month like clockwork and it was extremely light -- I didn't even have to use any product most of the time. Very little to no cramping. I got AF two days after the Mirena was taken out, and I'm still on that cycle.

I had the Paragard too. Because I wasn't having regular AF, my lining built up to the point that when we did trigger AF, it lasted 45 days and would have ktp going had I not had a D&C.
    --Misty Hidden Content DH: AndrewHidden Content 6 yearsHidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Type II Diabetes
    Avandamet, Vit. B Complex

First Clomid cycle - 100mg Clomid

Disney-phile by nature :) alphabetsoup's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Have Mirena and love it!

I got the mirena over a year ago due to complex hyperplasia with atypical cells (precancerous). My gyno was trying to talk me into a hysterectomy because of it...so I went to a gyn/onc who basically said "you gotta be KIDDING?!?! AT your age?!?!" (I was 33 and still wanted kids).

I had bad cramps off and on for about two months. Then it settled down. Now I get panic attacks 2 weeks prior to period, cramps a couple days before, then like 3 days of light spotting...and that is when I get a period at all.

Other times I get period type cramps out of the blue.... but never the doubled over wanna cry type.

It has been great for me. Of course, I was on 1000mg Provera a day for nearly a year and didn't have any side effects (except for the first two weeks,between the hot flashes and wanting to kill my students...THAT was intersting! luckily I never lost it during classes..but BOY did my DH hear me go off about stupid students during that time *giggle*). SO.... I don't seem to have near the side effects some women do.

Good luck with it...

soupy
    RX: 150 Avapro (for BP); 10mg Prilosec; 80mg Lipitor, 500mg Niaspan, + prenatal vitamins, 1000mg C, vitamin E, Fishoil and Calcium; and 500mg met 2x day.