Honorary SoulCyster penguinlover's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Would PCOS cause early menopause?

Hi, ladies!

I'm 42 and was diagnosed with PCOS back in approximately 1988. I have had to deal with most of the usual symptoms -- irregular periods, a slightly thinner scalp, hair in places I don't want it to be, darker skin on my inner thighs, a few skin tags. I take Metformin, Demulen and Spirolactone. I also take Effexor XL for anxiety which I have been taking for almost a year.

I had surgery this past June. During my regular pelvic exam, my doctor said that my uterus felt enlarged and that a pelvic ultrasound was in order. I was wondering why the ultrasound was taking so long until the technician brought in the radiologist who told me I had a 6 cm teratoma outside my uterus and that it would have to be removed surgically.

Surgery went very well. The teratoma was successfully removed. It was benign. The affected ovary was also removed. No hysterectomy was necessary - thank goodness!

Since surgery, I have lost and have kept off about 20 pounds. I now weight about 180. I would like to eventually get down to about 140.

You would think with the weight loss, things would get better, right? Well, I recently noticed acne popping up on my legs (more specifically, my thighs). I'm thinking...that's weird. Hair appears to be getting a little thicker on my legs, but it's very light colored (I'm a brunette).

My period was pretty light last month. I'm not thinking too much about that until I see how it is this month.

I also noticed I tend to sweat more than before. I especially notice sweating more on my face, like my upper lip and the back of my neck.

I seem to find it even harder to concentrate on work. My mind wanders and wanders.

Perhaps I'm reading much more into all of this than I should, but it makes me wonder if I'm beginning to go through menopause now? I realize I should probably be asking my doctor this question, but I'm just wondering if anyone else can relate. That's all.

THANKS!

Thanks

Default Me too!

I'm 42. I have night sweats. I'm on 500mg. Met 2x daily. My periods are not as regular as when I was on 3x per day, but my Endo and PCP took me down to 2x b/c I have fatty liver disease. I used to get cramps in my legs at night too, but I eat two Tums ea. day and no more cramps.

My doc thought it was a bit early for menopause, but I'm convinced that's what it is.

I've been looking all over for info from "more mature" cysters. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago after having trouble conceiving my second child. I'm finished having babies (two handsome boys 9 and 2!) I sent my husband to the plumber. :o)

Glad I found your post.
    Shabach

Thanks

From what I understand about Menopause, it can last quite a long time. The aveage woman goes through menopause around 50, or their early 50's. Of course some are going to be a bit later, some earlier. But Perimenopause can last for years. It wouldn't be uncommon for you to start in your fourties and end with menopause in your early 50's.

Both my mother and my MIL started in their fourties, my mother ended at 52, my MIL is 53 and is still going through it.

Honorary SoulCyster penguinlover's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Menopause and Perimenopause

Such fun we have to go through, isn't it? it's not enough that we have a period every month year after year and are the ones who have the children, but then now we have to go through all these changes for a number of years on top of it.