Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Question Iodine as treatment for PCOS?

My new dr thinks I may have PCOS based on numerous symptoms. He has recommended that I try Iodoral (12.5 mg of iodine supplement) for 3 months to address my symptoms. Has anyone heard of this treatment?

Apparently, iodine has been effective in treating the tenderness that comes from fibrocystic breast disease and it is also used to treat thyroid conditions. I've always had tender breasts around my period and I do have thyroid nodules, but I've never been diagnosed with cysts on my ovaries or in my breasts. I agreed to try the Iodoral at the time because the alternative was Metformin and Aldactone and that sounded too serious!

Now that I have had time to research PCOS and treatment options, I am wondering if I should waste 3 months on an unkonwn treatment?!

Thanks

Iodine is more for your thyroid and likely a good call - I think many PCOS women respond quite well to it (there appear to be many women with concurrent hypoT and PCOS). Whether or not it's the ONLY treatment you should have I don't know... If you were patient enough to give it 3 months of treatment soley you'll have a much better idea of how well it worked for you than you would if you combined it with other things (i.e. which one worked???). Good luck.
    xx Pale Pink Aura
    Hidden Content

DD (10) - conceived via IVF (FET) after 2 years of infertility treatment
    DS (6) - conceived after 2 years of natural therapies

Coeliac, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Meniere's Disease, PCOS.

Thanks

does your dr. want you to take this everyday.. is this in pill form? i thought iodine was for thyroid problems..let us know how you do
    symptoms hairloss,big tummy, hairy legs.looking for alternative remedies.email me anytime. Hidden Content

Thanks

i found this on a website called helpmythroid.com this iodine medicine your talking about ..i dont know if its for real or what.
    symptoms hairloss,big tummy, hairy legs.looking for alternative remedies.email me anytime. Hidden Content

Thanks

Unhappy thanks for the replies

My dr suggested Iodoral 12.5 mg once a day for at least 90 days. Iodoral is a iodine supplement in pill form available OTC. He acknowledged that it is way above the normally recommended amount for iodine supplementation. He does think it may work on my thyroid condition but he also thinks it may work on PCOS symptoms. I definitely think I have PCOS and want to start treating right away. I would like to start on Metformin but now my dr says he wants to do more tests. I had an abdominal ultrasound of my ovaries and nothing really unusual showed up (according to the tech doing the US).

Are noticeably enlarged ovaries or cysts on the ovaries required for a diagnosis of PCOS??

Thanks

no you can have pcos without having cysts or enlarged ovaries. but if you take too much iodine you might feel nervous just try it and see what happens then tell us about it.

Mod of Diet and Exercise! Maddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I take iodine in the form of Kelp tablets and I call them my "herbal speed" - they make such a difference to my energy levels and help with weight loss too.

Keep us posted with how you feel on them! One word of warning - to begin with because they speed up the metabolism they can make you hungrier
    I finally have healthy ovaries free of cysts!
    Starting a personal walking challenge for charity - 300 miles in 35 days! August - September Hidden Content

have one son, two beautiful grandsons

wife~mom~teacher~friend IFBPreachersWife's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

This is an OLD thread but I'm bumping it because I was just recommend to take Iodoral by Optimox, 12.5 mg twice per day. Was wondering if the OP or anyone else has seen any improvement in fertility or PCOS symptoms by using it.

https://vvv9.com/iodoral/?gclid=CKyG...FQtkgQoduF9u2g
    Hidden Content

Femara 5mg:
    Sept. 09 - BFN
    Oct. 09 -

Hidden Content
    I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist with experience Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Karen - why do you have to take it now? Did your doctor specify?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I actually consulted with a naturopathic doctor today and he recommended taking it. He said that he has had several women with PCOS restore their fertility by taking it. I don't necessarily buy into a magic bullet cure-all for PCOS but since dh and I have been praying about whether or not to continue seeing an RE (due to $) I figured trying this couldn't hurt. I guess I was hoping someone could say "ya! that worked for me!" lol
    Hidden Content

Femara 5mg:
    Sept. 09 - BFN
    Oct. 09 -

Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi Stephaniess,

Yes Iodine is very useful for pOCS, there are docs who claim to have relived women of POCS with iodine supplimentation! I have been supplementing with Lugols (liquid iodoral) since may and have seen very good results! Especially with energy levels as previously posted. I learned about it at curezone.org! HTH it is very safe to use and it helps with acne and any kind of infections!!

Eranah
    "Thin Cyster" 5'5" 120 lbs.

DH (37) Me (28) Married 11/10/04
    TTC #1
    DX July (05) Symptoms:
    Long AF
    Hormone Imbalance
    Both improved trough natural remedies, no meds! Its possible!

Treatment:
    Low GI Diet
    Exercise
    Homeopathy
    Acupuncture
    Prayer
    Laughter
    Supplements

Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

PCOS...well you know what I mean! : )
    "Thin Cyster" 5'5" 120 lbs.

DH (37) Me (28) Married 11/10/04
    TTC #1
    DX July (05) Symptoms:
    Long AF
    Hormone Imbalance
    Both improved trough natural remedies, no meds! Its possible!

Treatment:
    Low GI Diet
    Exercise
    Homeopathy
    Acupuncture
    Prayer
    Laughter
    Supplements

Hidden Content

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Just wanted to update this thread: I've been taking iodoral 12.5mg twice a day for almost 3 months and have seen ZERO improvement in fertility or anything else for that matter. The naturopath says to give it time; I have to be patient. I did increase the dosage to three tablets per day a couple of weeks ago and he said I could go up to 4, but mostly it may just take time. Time is all I have because we aren't able to go back to the dr. So, I'm ordering a new bottle, am going to increase the dose to four 12.5mg tablets a day and give it another three months. If I don't see any improvement, I'm done.

Will keep you all posted.
    Hidden Content

Femara 5mg:
    Sept. 09 - BFN
    Oct. 09 -

Hidden Content

Better Than I Deserve... lj2blessed's Avatar
    Thanks

Karen - I'd be interested to see when (if) it makes a difference for you! My energy levels are almost always low, but I'd be wary of the iodine due to my seafood allergy...I'd have to check that out.
    Mama to
    Imani "Faith" 4/09 and Ahmed "Worthy of Praise" 7/11
    Dx PCOS - 2001 *** BCP free since 2/07

I have PCOS...but PCOS doesn't have me!

Join me at Hidden Content !

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Since there there seems to be such a strict rule about not taking Metformin/Glucophage for a certain period of time before having imaging procedures preformed that involve iodine dye --- it seems to me that it might be a reasonable inference that Iodine supplementation and Metformin might not be safe to take both. I do not know for sure if this is the case but I think it would be wise to verify the safety situation before starting iodine if you are taking metformin (and also any other drugs or supplements). I am not sure but I think that one of the possible concerns might relate to kidney damage. Please find out from proper sources if there is an interaction danger with anything you are taking prior to starting any iodine supplementation program. I think that iodine supplementation is very alternative and that there are only a handful of health care professionals that champion its use. I have the impression that most traditional doctors strongly disapprove of iodine supplementation especially high doses.

There are some interesting assertions about iodine as a possible treatment for PCOS on the web if you search for "ovary" or "ovaries" "or "ovarian cysts" or "PCOS" and "Iodine" (also "Iodide") -- for example here are some some interesting quotes that I have found -- but I can't say how accurate that are -- anyway here are some things that I found that I thought were interesting:

"After the thyroid gland the ovaries contain the highest concentration of iodine. Dr. Flechas has seen that iodine reverses polycystic ovarian syndrome. Ghent and Eskin reported the reversal of ovarian cysts with iodine (30), along with reversal of
    endometriosis and prementstrual syndrome. Iodine is necessary for normal ovarian
    function."
    Source: http://www.hacres.com/diet/articles/Iodine.pdf

"Iodine can be concentrated in the ovaries, and Russian studies done some years ago showed a relationship between iodine deficiency and the presence of cysts in the ovaries. The greater the iodine deficiency, the more ovarian cysts a woman produces. In its extreme form, this condition is known as polycystic ovarian disease."
    Source: http://www.iodine4health.com/body/ov...as_ovaries.htm

"Iodine also has an impact on glucose metabolism. There have been no studies on this to date,only observations of clinicians who have patients taking high amounts of iodine. It appears that iodine increases the sensitivity of the insulin receptor, which improves glucose control. . . . ."
    Source: http://www.hacres. com/diet/ articles/ Iodine.pdf

“Iodine deficiency may cause the ovaries to develop cysts, nodules and scar tissue. At its worse this ovarian pathology is very similar to that of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). As of the writing of this article I have five PCOS patients. The patients have successfully been brought under control with the use of [XX] mg of iodine per day. Control with these patients meaning cysts are gone, periods every 28 days and type 2 diabetes mellitus under control.”
    Source: http://iodine4health.com/ortho/flechas_ortho.htm

I have also read assertions that iodine might be beneficial to PCOS patients at least in part because iodine may be helpful in killing off candida in the body.

I have searched (www.docguide.com, scholar.google.com, pubmed) for actual journal articles that might support the claim that iodine might be helpful for PCOS -- but I was really not able to find anything (if anyone else does better - please let me know).
    Last edited by August; 06-08-2008 at 02:00 AM. Reason: fixi quotes