Thanks

Question High Platelet count

SO, routine Dr visit yesterday, aside from the scary bruise on my leg.. which fyi turned out to be a ruptured varicose vein.

Anyway, Doc did a series of blood tests, and apparently my platelet count is 467, and I've read it should be below 300... Dr ordered me to double my aspirin dosage and recheck in 6 weeks. Okay, I already take an 81mg aspirin a day, why is it high?? And anybody know reasons it might *be* high?

I also have been doing some reading, and apparently taking aspirin does not reduce the platelet count, but helps shut down the sticky function a bit, so you avoid the clotting problem, which I've had before. I had a DVT (deep vein thrombophlebitis) in my leg when I was 18.

So basically, I'm at a loss here, what on earth is wrong that the platelets are high, and should I be worried about it?

Loves to travel cyster! Lovey048's Avatar
    Thanks

Do you mean that your platelet count is 467,000??? I checked a couple of websites, and it said that a normal platelet count is between 150,000-400,000. If it was only 467, I'd say you'd be in serious trouble.

I know that if your platelet count is higher than it should be, it can signal anemia. Unfortunately, and I don't mean to scare you, but it can also signal leukemia. (Chronic myeloid leukemia) My mom was just diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia, so I'm learning more about this whole situation. My dad also had chronic myeloid leukemia. However, the younger you are, the less likely you are to get one of these cancers. The rate is like 1 in 100,000 people for both if you're around 30.

As I said, I don't mean to scare you by any means. If I were in your shoes, I would follow your doctor's orders. If he hasn't, he probably will check your other blood counts to see what's going on. Good luck to you, and keep us updated.

*big hugs*,

Anne
    DBF - Dan
    Fur babies - 7 cats, 2 ferrets, and fish
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

She ordered a cbc and comp panel, just for the sake of knowing. And yes, I meant 467,000. High, not low. And I was doing some reading, and the list of possible causes scares the holy crap out of me.

The only thing the Dr ordered was doubling my aspirin dose to two 81mg aspirins a day instead of 1, and a recheck in 6 weeks to see if it helps. Just has me worried, thats all.

Loves to travel cyster! Lovey048's Avatar
    Thanks

*hugs* I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I know you will get through this, no matter what. If you need to talk, please feel free to PM me. I know how scary it can be when there's something wrong, but you don't know exactly what...

Take care and big hugs your way,

Anne
    DBF - Dan
    Fur babies - 7 cats, 2 ferrets, and fish
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content