Thanks

Default Slimfast and Pcos

Dear Cysters

Has anyone had success with slimfast. I have just been put on metformin 1500mg and Reductil 15mg per day and wondered if Slimfast was ok to use. Im a complete Newb when it comes to Carb allowances per day and help would be most appreciated.

My doctor was most surprised when i said i wasnt looking to loose weight to get Pg and that i just didnt want to be 97kg and 5ft4 anymore. Ive already given up all the foods i enjoy...take-away food, sweets, crisps, sugary fizzy drinks and i exercise regularly as long as my weak ankle joints and arthritic knees allow (you wouldnt believe im only 31 i sound about 90) so i feel im giving it a good stab.

Any advice would rule.....

Hugs and Kisses

Emma
    London UK

Thanks

Hi Emma! Nice to meet ya!

I'm not an expert, but I would definitely not recommend Slim Fast for anyone with blood sugar regulation issues, let alone someone on Metformin. Slim Fast is very low calorie and just two measly shakes all day. For someone on met this sounds like a recipe for low bloodsugar to me. Dangerously so.

I did try Slim Fast out of desperation when I was about 120 lbs heavier and had no appetite. I figured it was better than literally fasting, which was what I was doing. I suffered many blood sugar swings while on it; complete with migraines and just feeling awful. I didn't lose any weight either, to add insult to injury.

Any chance of seeing a nutritionist to help you out with learning the ropes? If not, perhaps you could look into some books like the IR Diet book. Personally a diet called the "Zone" diet seems to work the best for me. I'm pretty sure there are threads on it here, but if you can't find them searching the net for "zone diet" should bring up the website that explains it all. Not only is it helping me lose weight, but the IR/PCOS symptoms are improving as well.

I wish you luck in figuring out the right diet for you. It can be very confusing to say the least!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

While I'm not 'endorsing' Slim Fast, I do want to point out that it's Dr Sam Thatcher recommends it in his book PCOS: The Hidden Epidemic.

Ediets also has a full 'program' for people using Slim Fast. It walks you through menu planning for each week. You can find it by CLICKING HERE.

Check out some of the weight loss articles at the link below...some theories are that the 'type' of diet isn't necessarily critical to pcos weight loss. (it is to me...I get too hungry on low fat diets...but that's just me...)

http://www.soulcysters.com/weight_loss.html

Thanks

hi

I tried slim fast a few years back. And managed to put ON weight whilst on it.
    Eva
    PCOS, LOCAH, ER+ breast cancer, Endom, Lichen Planus, IBS, HS, raised bp/ cholesterol. Meds: Spiro, Bendrofluazide, Amlodopine, Simvastatin, Met, Prednisolone, Mebeverine, Omeprazole, Tamoxafen ,

Me - 45, hubby 39 son 15 Married 18 years

She is buffeted by the wind, but she does not sink.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

What Eva said! I followed South Beach to the letter - and ended up a stone fatter, so you never know! It also seems to be the case that it's worth trying different approaches as different things work for different people and as Kat says, the crucial thing may be just to get the initial weight off, because of the health benefits.

That said, you have to find something you can take on as a way of life, not a short term fix, if you want to stay healthy and SlimFast clearly isn't that.

Years ago, when I was diagnosed with PCOS but the doctors didn't know anything about what caused it, I used Slimfast for just a week to kickstart a diet - then moved onto the Rosemary Conley plan, which got me almost 40lb off and I kept it off for years til I had 2 babies close together.

If you're in the UK, I'd recommend Rosemary - as you eat healthy carbs, you don't go hungry and you don't get cravings. As soon as I got a bit more educated about foods and health I went back and read some Slimfast labels and was actually quite shocked at the levels of fat in there. Additives and chemicals, also. There's really no need for that.

Carbs are not your enemy - just *bad* carbs. The low carb fad seems to be dying out in the UK now, but I think it's left a lot of people confused about carbs and thinking it's best to avoid them. You can easily lose weight on a diet that's 60% carbs (I have!) so don't worry!

If you can educate yourself what to avoid, (and you seem to have a fair grasp anyway), you won't go wrong. Check out your Basal Metabolic Rate, using an online tool and then if you eat upto that in calories everyday - as much fresh and organic stuff as possible, and the holy grail of at least 2 litres of water/juices, healthy stuff per day... and avoid anything over 5% fat... you will lose weight.

The good news is, the heavier you are to start off with, the more calories you can eat and still lose weight.

If you have insulin resistance issues, then exercise will go a long way to helping with that, too. Diet alone won't address all the issues.

I'd avoid Slimfast or any *branded* diet products as they're full of chemicals and additives that women with PCOS can well do without. I'd recommend it for a week, as a kickstart to a diet but getting the weight off and getting fit is a whole way of life, so until you figure out a good healthy diet you can stick to for life, you won't be addressing the underlying problems. The same for things pushed as *Low Carb* foods - you're better off eating as much unprocessed, fresh food as possible. (Gillian McKeith is scary but she has a point!)

I don't know anything about Metformin, as I have tried to regulate my PCOS by diet, exercise and using herbal remedies and natural products, so don't know if there are contraindications for its use with certain products. It may well be not advisable to use with certain diet products with it, though, and maybe others on here have an idea about that.

Glad you've found the cysters. This is a great place for support and info. Hope the Met makes a difference for you!

Different diets work for different people, but I've found Rosemary (plus a lot of common sense) goes a long way.

Polly x
    Last edited by PollySis; 11-24-2005 at 01:33 PM.

Mod of Diet and Exercise! Maddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

As you can tell by the replies you have had already everyone reacts differently to different diets!

Pollysis mentions in her reply "you can easily lose weight on a diet that's 50% carbs" but that just wouldn't work for me although she has had success with Rosemary Conley

I do know someone who lost a lot of weight using SlimFast last year and has kept it off. For her it was ideal because she was a busy, full time working Mum who just ate too many calories a day because she picked up whatever was convenient at the time. Using SlimFast meant she could carry her lunch/breakfast etc. during her working day without worrying about what she would eat. SlimFast usually recommends swapping two meals for shakes and then eating a "proper" evening meal.

I looked at SlimFast once but when I had read the nutritional information it just didn't make sense for me personally. What it did do however, was introduce me to "replacement shakes". I often now have a protein shake for breakfast - not the slimfast variety but one I make myself with protein powder; grapefruit; psyllium and flaxseed oil. A "PCOS friendly" shake, lol

The CAD diet can help kickstart weight loss - it has some of the SlimFast principles in that you replace two meals and then have a "proper" evening meal. However what CAD does is manage your blood sugars at the same time. You eat very low carb during the day and then eat whatever you want for dinner provided you complete your meal in an hour.

I have tried CAD and it does help manage blood sugar levels and can have the same initial "fast weight loss" and hormonal balancing as Atkins.

As someone who has difficulty losing weight I would still have to use calorie counting combined with CAD though!!!

Another thing you could try would be to eat a "wholegrain" calorie counted diet.

Take a look at the diet information sticky at the top of the page and take some time to think about your own personal circumstances.

e.g. do you have trouble with "eating on the run" - in which case SlimFast; CAD; or WeightWatchers/Ready Meals etc. could work for you;

do you like to cook your own meals from scratch and eat "healthily" rather than calorie count etc. - the PCOS diet; or the low GI diet might suit you

Whatever your lifestyle there will be an eating plan for you!

Good Luck
    I finally have healthy ovaries free of cysts!
    Starting a personal walking challenge for charity - 300 miles in 35 days! August - September Hidden Content

have one son, two beautiful grandsons

Thanks

They do have a new version of Slim fast called Optima. It has a way less sugar and carbs than the old version.
    Rosie~37
    Happily Married with 2 Children

Dx PCOS, Hashi's

Proud momma of two! shortandbubbly's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think with slim fast you need to worry about blood sugar levels dropping. the recommended diet is shake or bar for lunch, a light snack of some sort, a slim fast shake or bar for lunch wiht a salad or something, a light snack, and then a sensible dinner, and a light snack. so you see, it has changed. It used to be shake for breakfast, shake for lunch and a sensible dinner. i did slim fast 9 years ago, and it did work, however, as soon as i went off the program, it all came back on. and it is real motivating to go onto the website and check out all the success stories. what a lot of people did was stay on program all week, and on the weekends, go off program and ate whatever, and still managed to lose. theonly drawback would be is expanding the stomach back out. but i noticed that i got full a lot quicker. i have been pondering the though myself of going back on slimfast.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shortandbubbly
    I don't think with slim fast you need to worry about blood sugar levels dropping. the recommended diet is shake or bar for lunch, a light snack of some sort, a slim fast shake or bar for lunch wiht a salad or something, a light snack, and then a sensible dinner, and a light snack. so you see, it has changed.
    I'm glad to hear this! This would indeed make things a bit different, wouldn't it?

I just tend to over-react when I hear someone is on meds and considering an ultra low calorie diet. I have two diabetics in my immediate family, one on insulin and the other met, and I've had way too much experience with helping them out when they zonked out on low blood sugar. It can be very scary That scene in the movie "Steel Magnolias" captured it pretty darn well.
    Me (33)/Michael (3o)
    Together for almost nine long, happy years!

First PCOS dx: 1989
    Supplements: One A Day Weight Smart, B Complex, Biotin, Pantothenic Acid (B5), B12, Saw Palmetto, Vit C, Vit D3, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Chromium Piconolate, Cinnamon, Magnesium, EPO, Zinc Gluconate, Green Tea
    Diet: "Modified" Zone plan

"You don't love a woman because she is beautiful, but she is beautiful because you love her" -Anon.

Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm glad I helped. I did the slim fast almost ten years ago, when it was just two shakes a day and a meal, and yea, if you weren't careful, your calorie intake could have been too low. One day my mom and I decided to calculate how many calories we had, and we only had 850 for that whole day. No kidding. It's a lot more doable now. I haven't tried it again, but am thinking of it. My grandparents both have diabetes. Well, one passed away. But, I know when their sugar got low, they would get wicked lightheaded and the other one would have to rush and get orange juice for the other. oh, and a little FYI, i liked the chocolate flavor a lot more than the vanilla. Yuck. The chocolate was good. let us know what you decide.

Thanks

My grandmother went on slimfast years ago, and she lost weight and kept it off. My problem is I work full time and I'm a mom to a 3 yr old boy. I snack too much and eat too much fast food. I think that if I only had to worry about cooking a *real* meal at dinner time, I would do so much better.

I had forgotten all about Slimfast for a while there...I might try it out for a week or two and see how it goes. And then either switch to a different diet (Weight Watchers worked for me after I had my son..). But yea, I think slimfast would be an easy route to go, because it *really* is pretty simple..hmm, thanks for posting this!

Thanks

i definitely agree that slim fast is more convenient. Weight Watchers is an awesome program and it really works. However, the one flaw i found with weight watchers is that it seems that the person being on it, needs to have time to prepare meals and measure and calculate points. and some people just don't have that kind of time, or want to make that kind of time. I mean, if you are a working mom, who has to get up early, get ready for work, take care of your child, and then go to work, com ehome, cook dinner, the last thing you want to do your last hour or two before bed is prepare meals for lunches and stuff. you want to relax. it's like, 'yeah i want to eat better and lose weight, but i don't want my whole life to be controlled by it.' or something to that affect. lol. let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Yea, when I was on weight watchers before I had MUCH more time than I do now. I wasn't working fulltime (didn't work for the first several months, dh worked longer so I could stay home), etc. Now, it's just impossible for me to cook all the time. I just can't. I would totally refer anyone with more time to weight watchers, but I just can't motivate myself enough to count points anymore. I think having certain, simple things to have daily would be easier for now.

I will definitely update if/when I show any progress, etc.