Thanks

Default Metformin after hysterectomy??

I am new to this site. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1998 and began Metformin in 2000. I have been on it ever since. I just had a vaginal hysterectomy on December 1st (kept ovaries). My hysterectomy was for uterine fibroids and a prolapsed uterus - not for PCOS. I had to stop the metformin for the surgery, but started taking it again - having some of those awful side effects again too -bummer. Anyway, wondering if anyone has had a hysterectomy and kept taking metformin? What has been your experience?

Thanks

I had a hysterectomy in May and really wasn't officially diagnosed with PCOS until about October. Like you the hysterecomy was for other reasons but my doctor seemed to hope it would correct my excess androgen levels as well. Well when that didn't happen she sent me to an Endocrinologist who then diagnosed PCOS. He put me on Met pretty much at my insistance and I think it is really beginning to help me but I've only been on it for about 3 weeks. I think my blood sugar is more stable which is helping me not crave carbs as much and my face seems less oily. I am trying to change my eating habits but it's tough. I have lost a couple pounds but know I need to continue to make changes in my lifestyle if I want to really get better. I have diabetes very strongly in my family and had gestational diabetes with my last child so I am really expecting to stay on Met for the long term. I did find that now that I have had a hysterectomy my Endo didn't think my PCOS even needed to be treated since I wasn't trying to concieve but luckily after some discussion he agreed to let me try Met.
    Pam770

Thanks

A hysterectomy will not address your PCOS issues. The met will help address the IR and control the PCOS. I'd definitely keep taking it.
    Christy (35) married to Scott (47) since 5/12/12

DD Alyssa Hidden Content born 11/2001
    Regular periods/ovulation until 11/2004
    Self-Diagnosed 2/1/2005 ~*~ Officially Diagnosed "Non-Traditional PCOS" 6/7/2005

Thanks

I agree with the other ladies. PCOS is not just a hormonal disorder (and your body will still be producing hormones since you kept your ovaries, and it would even if you hadn't), it is also a metabolic one. Met will help you to avoid metabolic syndrome which often goes hand in hand with PCOS (high cholesterol, diabetes, etc.). I am nearing menopause but will continue to take Met (even if I wasn't diabetic I would, too). PCOS doesn't end with a hysterectomy or menopause; in fact, that's when the scarier health concerns tend to arise and when treatment for insulin resistance is most important.

Linda
    dx pcos 1984, type II diabetes 2001, also hypertension
    Met 2000mg since 2001, started Glucophage XR 4/22/04, then switched to Met ER 6/04; also: multi, Vit. C, Vit. E, B12/folic acid combo, fish oil & borage oil combo, garlic capsules, cinnamon, Vitex, calcium with magnesium/zinc, biotin, CoQ10, selenium,iron
    Other meds: Verapamil and Altace(for blood pressure)
    Started laser hair removal 7/29/03, completed 3/04 (it works!)
    UAE for fibroid 3/24/03 and 3/16/04