Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Can U take Vitex and Progesterone Pills?

I need to start a bleed and I was wondering if I needed to stop my Vitex while I took the progesterone pills. I know that I have read that Vitex can interfere with progesterone supplements, so if anyone knows, please let me know. Did anyone take them at the same time resulting in a bleed?
    Elizabeth
    Find miscarriage support! - All That is Seen and Unseen; A Journey Through a First Trimester Miscarriage - Hidden Content
    3.5 years to TTC#1 - born 09/03
    DS #2 Born 6/6/13 14DPO-BETA 245, P4-9.9, 16dpo BETA-656 P4-16.9

Thanks

Last cycle I used natural progesterone cream while I was still taking vitex and got AF after 10 days of using the cream. I'm not sure if the pills would interact differently. Sorry I can't be of more help, maybe you can look into using the cream instead?
    Rebecca ~ 35
    DH Matt ~ 39
    Married 11-20-04

TTC for 5 years...never pregnant.
    Hoping for a miracle...

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Default ejcelli -- this is for you

The following is from:http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/vitex.html

How does Vitex Work?
    One of the ways Vitex works to shift in the ratio of estrogen to progesterone, in favor of progesterone. Chaste tree berry works to raise progesterone levels in the body.

SO if you were to take both Vitex and progesterone - I think it would confuse your body to get this sudden surge of progesterone - the vitex would be redundant (progesterone is also listed under drug-interferactions of Vitex).

Taking Vitex

When using chaste tree berry, donít expect immediate results. It may not have much effect until it is taken for at least 3-6 months.
    Itís not the same as taking progesterone. You donít give it, stop it, and then expect a withdrawal bleed a few days later as you would if you were taking progesterone or synthetic progestins.
    Drug Interactions

Interactions with hormone replacement therapy (potential/theoretical). Animal studies and human data have reported that chasteberry constituents have hormonal activity that may alter the effects of these medications and possibly the dose needed for treatment. conjugated estrogens, estradiol, estrone, esterified estrogens, estropipate, ethinyl estradiol, progesterone, medroxyprogesterone, hydroxyprogesterone, norethindrone.
    Interactions with oral contraceptives (potential/theoretical). Animal studies and human data have reported that chasteberry constituents have hormonal activity that may alter the effects of these medications and possibly the dose needed for treatment: norethindrone, ethynodiol diacetate, norgestrel, norgestimate, ethinyl estradiol, drospirenone, desogestrel, levonorgestrel .
    Interactions with dopamine agonists (potential/theoretical). An in-vitro study reported that chasteberry constituents had dopaminergic activity that may alter the effects of these medications and possibly the dose needed for treatment: selegeline, amantadine, carbidopa, levadopa, pramipexole, ropinirole, bromocriptine, pergolide. If you are taking any of these medication, it's a good idea to consult with your physician before taking vitex.

Hope this helps. Is there anyway you can seek out a certified Naturopath under your coverage? I only ask, because it seems (from your other posts) that your doctors are not very supportive of you ttc from a natural approach. Just a thought, my Naturopath is the best and she is a wealth of info. and support for me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I would LOVE To hire a naturopath, they are just extremely expensive out here. $175-$250 for a visit. I guess I can do some more research in finding one. I am also ready to give in and take Actos again coupled with Soy Isoflavones.
    Elizabeth
    Find miscarriage support! - All That is Seen and Unseen; A Journey Through a First Trimester Miscarriage - Hidden Content
    3.5 years to TTC#1 - born 09/03
    DS #2 Born 6/6/13 14DPO-BETA 245, P4-9.9, 16dpo BETA-656 P4-16.9

Thanks

WOW...that's expensive!! Here I pay about $50 a session (the initial consultation was more, but that's a one time fee). I would shop around...that seems awful high.
    Good Luck!