Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Is PCOS a disability?????

I was wondering if PCOS or any of its components ie: obesity, or depression
    is considered a disability?
    I have read another thread on this forum about some women not being able to hold down a job because of stress and anxiety, depression.
    That is the problem I am facing now. My husband want's me to work, but I have depression, and anxiety attacks when I have to work around people, mainly bosses. It has happened at the last 2 jobs I had, and I just can't go through that again.
    I am trying to start a home cleaning business. I can make money that way, and not have to be anxious about having a boss around. Just don't know how to advertise yet.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Janice
    Married to James since 07-08-1988
    One daughter Kala born 11-09-1989

Diagnosed 2002
    Symptoms for 16 years
    Blood Sugar way too high
    Free Testosterone: 31.7 (normal-1.2-5.7)
    Metformin 2000 mg
    Paxil 30 mg

Thanks

PCOS is not considered a disability. It's considered a syndrome. There are different drugs and therapies that can help with symptoms. Have you looked into meds for your anxiety? I don't think anxiety and panic attacks are symptoms of PCOS though. Also, have you seeked treatment as well for your depression?

Also, since PCOS is a syndrome, not everyone has all the same symptoms. I'm pretty regular with my periods, am not obese, don't have depression, or cysts on my ovaries. I tend to be hypoglycemic, have one dark hair that grows in on my chin and store excess weight in my stomach area. My hormone levels are a big irregular too. Those are my symptoms. We all vary.
    Name: Rachel (36)Hidden Content Husband: Russ (34)

Thanks

Anxiety and panic effects A LOT of people with PCOS

Thanks

PCOS is not a disability. Depression can be. Have you talked to a doctor about your depression or anxiety? Do you have a therapist?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyHeidi
    Anxiety and panic effects A LOT of people with PCOS
    Thanks for this info. I did not know this. Do you know what causes this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Leikela
    Hormone imbalance is a leading cause, but not the only one.
    Endometriosis (Infertility Cause)
    Andnomyosis (Infertility/Miscarry Cause)
    Fibroid tummores(One reason for Non stop AF)
    Tubal ligation syndrome(Sister of PCOS)

Check this link out for more information!!

Hidden Content

Thanks

I have been treated by a doctor, as in anti-depressants off and on for 15 years. For me, OCD,and anxiety have just recently surfaced in the last 5-6 years.
    Anxiety is a problem that is brought on by depression.

Yes, anxiety and panic attacks affect a lot of people with PCOS, but so does infertility. I think anxiety, panic attacks and depression are from PCOS. At least in my case.
    In my signature I have listed my wellbutrin for depression. I have taken at least 3-4 different kinds of anti-depressants over the years.

I am sorry I may sound snippy, I have had a bad evening, and I am fed up with waiting to get my symptoms under control, instead I get more symptoms.

Janice

Diagnosed 2002
    Symptoms for 16 years
    Blood Sugar way too high
    Metformin 2000 mg
    Paxil 30 mg

Thanks

You don't sound cranky at all. I'm newly diagnosed, so I'm still learning the ins and outs of this syndrome. I hope you're feeling better and good luck with your home business!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leikela
    You'll find some interesting articles on 'pcos & anxiety' here:
    http://www.pcosresearch.com/index.php?s=anxiety

All of the articles at that link will have the word 'anxiety' highlighted, so you don't have to hunt for it

Thanks

Kat thanks for that post it really helped me!

Janice- I know how you feel. I feel like PCOS (the weight, the infertility, the panic attacks) is disabaling me. I am a stay at home mom (I got pregnant right off the pill with #1 and have been trying for #2 for almost 2 years) and I do Ebay. Lately the panic attacks have become panic disorder and even with meds I am having a very hard time dealing with them and stress. I literally feel like I am dying. I dont know how I or anyone else who has the same feelings can be productive at work. I know I sure couldnt. I am trying to get my panic attacks under control but its very hard. I never knew something could feel so bad and for me the panic about worrying about having another one is almost as worse. Hang in there and hugs

Thanks

confession time: I haven't been taking my wellbutrin lately, I just started back tonight. and I have been on a crying jag lately. With my husband wanting me to go back to work, our financial problems, and not taking my meds, I am about to have an anxiety attack!
    I have been looking for ways to lessen our financial burden and taking my meds now, so I should be better soon I hope. Thanks for all your help!

I haven't expressed to my doc's that I think I have anxiety attacks per say, with my problems they just chalk it up to depression.

Janice

Diagnosed 2002
    Symptoms for 16 years
    Blood Sugar way too high
    Metformin 2000 mg
    Paxil 30 mg

Thanks

Janice, I'm glad you started taking your Wellbutrin again. Taking it regularly is one of the MAJOR ways to keep your depression at bay.

Have you considered that having a job, maybe even just a part time job, might get you out there around people and change your outlook? The right job without too much stress might lift your spirits and help with the financial problems, you might meet new friends, etc. I bet your cleaning business might be the right thing for you.

And no, PCOS wouldn't count as a disability.
    "I knew I had a problem when I put my underpants on backwards and they fit better..."
    Age 46
    Obesity, very mild hirsuitism now almost gone with age and met, seriously thinning hair. Regular cycles on met.
    Diagnosed with diabetes 8/2003

Thanks

Hi All!
    Lets just forget I even asked about PCOS being a disability. I admit I am very desperate, to not have to interact with "bosses". Please everyone pray this new venture of the cleaning business is a success and soon!

Thanks,
    Janice

Diagnosed 2002
    Symptoms for 16 years
    Blood Sugar way too high
    Metformin 2000 mg
    Paxil 30 mg

Thanks

I have dealt with anxiety and depression since I was about 13 year's old, and it most likely was due to PCOS. Of course, I was not diagnosed with PCOS until I was 24, but I'm sure that I had it since puberty, but the symptom's just gradually got worse. I can't work because of the anxiety. I take 10 mg's of Lexapro for an antidepressant, but it is very hard to get anything for anxiety. I've told the doctor's that I could deal with the depression somewhat, but the anxiety is what really bother's me..but apparently they don't care enough to give me some type of anti anxiety pill. Sorry If this did'nt make much sense, but I just thought i'd chime in..lol

Thanks

Janice, obesity CAN be a disability, but there are strict rules about it. Depression can definitely be a disability. PCOS itself isn't.
    Dominici was born May 2006!
    Hidden Content

Miracle Baby Boy Rivelino, born too early to live on October 6, 2004 at 24 weeks and 6 days. Never to be forgotten, always to be remembered, forever my source of inspiration.