Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

If you are planning to become pregnant, you should not take simvastatin. It is thought to have the potential to cause birth defects.

I personally wouldn't recommend taking a statin unless you really need it for high lipids. Statins have risks of serious side effects, like liver or muscle damage. I have been on statins for a year and I have to have my liver function checked regularly. All of those risks are very small, but in my opinion I would want to see if they posed the same risks to people without high lipids. I don't know if there are any studies of Zocor or Vytorin (another lipid-lowering drug that contains simvastatin) in people without high lipids.

Here is a page about the possible risks of Zocor: http://www.druginfonet.com/pi_mfr/pp...ocor/zocor.htm

Thanks

great news if it works! Keep us posted!
    ~ Not currently DX but have had symptoms after going off BCP
    ~ In a commited relationship with the love of my life going on 6 years Hidden Content
    ~ Meds/Suppliments: ortho novum 777, mult. vitamin, biotin, zinc, B complex & caster oil packs.

~ 2 fur babies Hidden Content Callie & Blackie Hidden Content

Hidden Content Whitney

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplerose View Post
    I personally wouldn't recommend taking a statin unless you really need it for high lipids.
    There are currently no FDA approved medications for the treatment of PCOS. All meds that are currently Rx'd are FDA approved for other conditions: spiro - high blood pressure, flutamide - prostate cancer, metformin - diabetes. It's all 'off label use', and the same would go for the use of a statin. Any 'recommendations' should ultimately come from a patient's personal physician.

BTW, while I'm not advocating statins, this is worth noting, from the article:

Furthermore, simvastatin (as compared with OCP) decreased total cholesterol by 12%, LDL cholesterol by 21%, and triglycerides by 18%-preventing the OCP-induced rise in triglycerides.

"So the statin not only normalized androgens, it also normalized hypothalamic-pituitary function. And of course, the statin improved lipid profiles," Dr. Duleba said.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FAERIE1430 View Post
    Can you take this while TTC?
    No. (see last graph0

PCOS Treatment with Zocor

Zocor-simvastatin is a medication typically used to treat high cholesterol. Recent evidence suggests that Zocor may be a useful treatment for PCOS polycystic ovary syndrome.

PCOS Study
    A recent study presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation is the first to look at the effects of these medications in women with PCOS. Women with PCOS are often found to have high cholesterol and triglycerides.

The PCOS patients in the study were first placed on birth control pills. This was necessary because Zocor and related medications, known collectively as statins, are contraindicated in pregnancy. One half of the PCOS patients also received Zocor.

PCOS Study Results
    A comparison of the hormone levels in these patients before treatment and again after 12 weeks showed was quite impressive. Testosterone is a hormone that is commonly elevated in PCOS. Testosterone belongs to a class of hormones known as androgens. Androgens are what many people think of as male type hormones. In women, when testosterone levels are elevated, such as in PCOS patients, they can have problems with unwanted hair growth, acne and hair loss. In this study, testosterone fell by an average of 41% in the group that received the combined birth control and Zocor. By contrast, in the birth control alone group, levels fell by only 14%.

Another androgen that can be elevated in PCOS patients is dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS). DHEAS elevations in PCOS patients have been treated with steroids and is associated with numerous side effects. DHEAS levels fell 26% in the combined birth control and Zocor patients and 28% in the birth control alone group.

PCOS patients can also show abnormal patterns in pituitary hormones luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). In most healthy women, their levels of FSH and LH are about the same. PCOS patients, on the other hand, will sometimes have elevated LH levels and consequently an elevated LH to FSH ratio. In this study of PCOS patients, the group that was receiving birth control pills alone had a reduction of LH of about 9%. The group that also took Zocor had a 43% in the LH levels. As a result, the LH:FSH ratio declined significantly in the combined group (44%) but fell by only 12% in the birth control group.

As expected, the Zocor group showed improved cholesterol levels. Total cholesterol was 10% lower with the addition of Zocor. Using birth control pills alone, the total cholesterol rose by 8%. Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol dropped by 24% in the Zocor patients, but stayed the same in the birth control patients. Zocor did not have a beneficial effect on triglycerides. This makes sense since triglyceride levels can be elevated due to insulin resistance in PCOS patients and Zocor did nothing to improve insulin resistance.

Conclusions
    Based on the results of this study, women with PCOS, especially those with high cholesterol should be offered treatment with statins. PCOS patients are known to be at greater risk for developing heart disease. It is important to try to decrease as many risk factors as possible.

However, women who are attempting pregnancy should not take statins.

Last Updated ( Friday, 09 September 2005 )
    http://www.ivf1.com/pcos-cholesterol-treatment/

Registered User mineralperfection's Avatar
    Thanks

Default No Help Here

Ive been on Simvastatin for a couple years, I have male pattern baldness that is getting worse. I dont think the zocar had helped me... but if it I hate to know what my head would look like without it!

Thanks

When I saw 'simvastatin' in the title of this thread, I became very interested and the reading I've done has really made me wonder. I am now on simvastatin and unfortunately I've been ordered to stop taking the BCP. I had a stroke a little over 2 months ago which is why I'm on the simvastatin. It's all precautionary...I find out at the end of this month if I'll have to continue...I really hope not because I already take spironolactone and metformin which I'm quite happy to take. Docs also have me taking aspirin to thin my blood and I want to be off that too! But this makes me think about the simvastatin as assisting in treating my PCOS. I am taking the lowest dose - 20mg...so I guess I have a lot to figure out.

And I don't mean to scare anyone about taking BCPs because I had the stroke. The docs can't figure out what caused mine so they think that's one possibility. I personally think it's because I have PCOS...again I'm not trying to alarm anyone but I remember when I was told I had it and started doing research, I always ignored that cardiovascular disease was a risk factor. It never crossed my mind that I'd be at risk. I'm 29 now...and I was 28 when the stroke happened. I keep doing a lot of research because I need answers. And my recovery has been amazing...people can't even tell that I had a stroke...physically there is really nothing wrong with me (I'm almost what I was before the stroke) and I've almost regained full mental capacity as well. And that really makes me think...of course I'm thankful for how well I've recovered, but I know there's an explanation behind this...and I can't help but connect it to the PCOS.

So I think I have a lot more to discuss with the doctor now because maybe simvastatin is something that might help me.

Thanks

....Just to let you know. No statin has the indication to lower testosterone levels, even though there have been studies. Simvastatin is one of the least effective statins....generics are NOT the same as some of the branded drugs that are out. There are many resources that pharmaceutical companies give to pharmacies and physicians that make the branded drug cheaper...ie..rebates and coupons. Also ask your dr's for samples. The most efficacious statin is Crestor. You can use it at a lower dose and pretty much get to your cholesterol goal from the start... It also just got a new indication to slow the progression of atherosclerosis. I would say that the testosterone effect is probably a class effect of the drug...use the best statin that you can, if you are going to use one.

Thanks

Thumbs up

wow. this is so uplifting. i am so tired of dealing with my facial hair.

Thanks

Just a word of caution, simvastitin, and apparently other statins as well, can cause weakening of your tendons. It's suspected that as well as affecting choloesterol metabolism they may also have an effect on how your body uses proteins.

I was taking simvastatin and have stopped after having tendon problems. I had surgery to repair my achilles tendon just before christmas and I'm still in a walking cast.

It's not a vrey common side effect but if you are an active person, it's worth taking into account if you are considering taking statins.

Thanks

Hey thanks..
    Have you tried this one for you?
    Does it really works?
    I like it but first I have to get clear it with my doctor...

Thanks

Just my personal experience; Simvistatin has done nothing for me (PCOS-wise anyway, of course it lowered my cholesterol). I started taking it about a year ago and there's been absolutely no changes in my PCOS symptoms.

I truely believe there are far more effective things out there. Plus, if you take Simvistatin and are also using products like Niacin, Nizoral, (which many PCOS women do because of the hair loss) it greatly increases your risks for muscular issues, which in some cases can be life threatening. You also cannot take Simvistatin if you are TTC.

I think fish oil has actually done me more good for both my PCOS symptoms as well as cholesterol; it's OTC and probably safer too.
    Last edited by GlitterStar; 05-03-2010 at 05:48 PM.
    Me (36) DH (56) Hidden Content

Medications: Hidden Content
    All herbal / natural supplements. Ditched the harsh met. & spiro. and never felt better!

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Can you take that while pregnant?

Registered User withloveandagun's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd be wary of Simvastatin. I was on it for 6 months and my new doctor took me off it and put me on Pravastatin. She said they have recently found Simvastatin to cause some major unwanted side effects. I have male pattern baldness and slight facial hair (luckily it's blonde) and it didn't do anything for me. My testosterone levels are pretty normal though, and I got on it for high cholesterol.

Thanks

My ob prescribed me this drug tolower my cholesterol level

Thanks

Default I think Simvastatin may have helped me with excess facial hair

I've been on simvastatin for probably about 2 years now. I notice that my facial hair is much less than it used to be. Not sure if it is the drug or not. I have also cut way down on my sugar intake, and I am getting older (I am 51) - so my hormone changes may be due to getting closer to menapause, as well.
    Me: 51
    Single, no children
    No dx: all hormone levels "within normal limits"
    Meds: Taking meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and hypothyroid
    Exercise: not exercising currently
    Major symptoms: more than normal facial/body hair, apple shape

Hidden Content Be kind to one another!