Registered User young_but_strong's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Medical Bracelet for Metformin?

Alright, when I orginally started Metformin a little over a year ago, on the side of the bottle it was noted (among other things like "Avoid alcohol consumption", etc.) that I needed to wear a medical tag when on this medication.

I currently wear a medical bracelet, but I ran into a friend's mother who was recently diagnosed, and she's on Met. as well. She said she didn't know about needing a medical tag at all, and she doesn't have one.

What have you guys experienced? Now I'm just confused. I'd love NOT to wear it...it would prevent some awkward moments when people ask about it, but on the other hand, it's right there, clear on the bottle!

...help?
    Medication: Metformin, diet, exercize, and prayer!

Original Weight: 233 pounds
    Current Weight: 197 pounds
    Current Goal: Be under 190

I'm workin' hard! Hidden Content

Thanks

I've heard of people wearing a bracelet for it, but I can't find on my bottle where it says to wear one.
    I think it would be wise to maybe carry a card in your wallet saying your on it just in case, so you dont have to wear the bracelet if you dont want to.
    Alexis
    Dx PCOS & IR - 2.16.06
    Devon Alexander 7.31.02 /Aliya Gabrielle 11.9.06 / Chloe Brianna 8.10.08
    To remember, is painful. To forget, is impossible.
    3.12.01 * 8.6.04 * 2.16.05 * 10.4.05 * 8.22.07

Thanks

My bottle also has it. I thought that it was referring to those that are diabetic. Then recently with reading about the HSG I will be having, I read that you have to stop taking met before the test. They put this dye in you and you can have a bad reaction to the dye or to iodine if you are on Met. This is making me think I should get a medic alert bracelet because if I am unconscious and have to be rushed to the er, I think it would be important for them to know. They also have the necklaces and I may get one of those instead of the bracelet.
    Janet (31) DH (41) ttc 7 years
    Miscarriage 1/19/1999 at 10 weeks
    Met ER 2000 mg daily
    HSG to be scheduled next cycle after af
    Waiting on dh's SA results
    Expecting to start Clomid after test results are in

Running & Biking Fool! christyz's Avatar
    Thanks

That instruction is for the DIABETICS on the drug...IR women are technically off label users so it doesn't apply. I would wear one if you have more serious blood sugar issues...see what your Dr thinks.

The only time I wear ID is when I run..I have a road ID for my shoe with my IR and metformin info and poersonal info. I am training foir my second half marathon and my sugars tend to drop most drastically when i run, so I felt safer that way.
    Christy

33 yrs, 1 precious hubby, 2 miracle kids, At Goal Wt for 4 yrs, Trygly's down 445 pts, Free Androgen down from 20 to 2, 3 half 'thons ran, 2 mtns hiked, 1 crazy run in the Rockies, 4 forest trail races, profiled in 2 magazines...1 woman determined to kick PCOS butt!

Hidden Content
    Before & Aug 2007

'08: Duathlon and another half?

Thanks

I don't wear one. But then I thought the bracelet was just for people taking it for diabetes

Thanks

Default I don't but...

I heard it was better to wear it no matter what it was taken for because of the interactions and surgery risk (my doctor told me you have to come off of it before surgery so I think that's why you'd want the emergency treatment people to know!) But my doctor isn't perfect either. So I'm not sure.

Jen
    Diagnosed: January 2006
    Medication: Metformin 1000mg, Relpax, Amitriptyline 30mg
    Related: Migraine Disorder, Depression
    Current Weight: 180
    Weight Goal: 135
    Exercise: 80-90 minutes/day

Thanks

From what I've found on the net, it's because of the reactions with dyes injected for certain tests.
    Me: (Devon) 25 DH: (Jason) 27
    Married:6/14/03
    TTC since: September '03
    Dx:2/9/06
    Surprise! BFP 3/20/08
    No heartbeat found 5/16/08
    miscarried on 5/27/08
    Currently taking Metformin, Prenatals, Citalopram, Lunesta, Lyrica, and Labetalol
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I also read that on my bottle of Met but i dont wear a bracelet, i do however have it on an ID card in my wallet. I think you need something stating this because regardless of what you are taking it for, it is in your system.. it might not be wise to mix it with other drugs or medical procedures and in case of an emergency doctors should know that you are taking it. That is what i understood from my doctor =) Hope it helps, when i first read that on the bottle i got a little worried!

Thanks

HI

i wear a medical bracelet. Have done for a few years. But I also say on mine about my alergies - to anti biotics.

Eva
    PCOS, LOCAH, ER+ breast cancer, Endom, Lichen Planus, IBS, HS, raised bp/ cholesterol. Meds: Spiro, Bendrofluazide, Amlodopine, Simvastatin, Met, Prednisolone, Mebeverine, Omeprazole, Tamoxafen ,

Me - 45, hubby 39 son 15 Married 18 years

She is buffeted by the wind, but she does not sink.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eva37
    HI

i wear a medical bracelet. Have done for a few years. But I also say on mine about my alergies - to anti biotics.

Eva
    That's a good reason too. Where did everyone get their bracelets from? Is there a way to do it online or is it through a doctor?

Jen
    Diagnosed: January 2006
    Medication: Metformin 1000mg, Relpax, Amitriptyline 30mg
    Related: Migraine Disorder, Depression
    Current Weight: 180
    Weight Goal: 135
    Exercise: 80-90 minutes/day