Thread: high pulse rate

Thanks

Default high pulse rate

I'm just wondering, what are the dangers of high pulse rate. My usual pulse when resting is between 85-95.. but sometimes it dips down nearer to normal around 70. But thats rare. Sometimes when I'm walking around my house I feel a pounding in my chest and it feels like my heart is in the bottom of my throat. When I check it then .. its anywhere from 120-135. Is that dangerous? I'm really overweight... but I can't lose.. I"ve tried for years. What do I do?????

Thanks

Hi Anae,

I didn't realise anyone else had this. It must be a symptom.

I know that lately my pulse isn't going lower that 72 an can be anywhere up to 100. Like you I can feel my pulse throughout my body and even hear my heart beat! I can just be sitting and my heart begins to pound, I get very hot, sweat profusely, have an awful hot flush and go very dizzy (I've very nearly fainted sometimes). I thought I was the only one who felt like this.

I am going to book an appointment with my GP to check my blood pressure. You see I am on Dianette (oral 'pill') to control PCOS so high blood pressure is a danger. I suggest you go and see you docter aswell.

I'm not quite sure myself what's dangerous. Can anyone else help?

Fortunately I'm not too overweight anymore (just about half a stone to go) but I'm still getting this high pulse rate. I have been losing weight gradually for 3 years now by cutting out all processed foods and going on a much more natural diet- you know lots of fruit, vege whole grains etc. Healthy eating is the way to go...a balanced diet and eating little and often- every 2 hours preferably (speeds up the metabolism). Also drink lots and lots of water. Though I still do treat myself occassionally- you have to have a bit of chocolate sometimes. I began seeing my local practice nurse every 2 weeks to a month. She monitored my weight and BMI, helped me devise a healthy eating plan, boosted my confidence and let me tell her any worries I had. It worked for me, though I do still have to monitor my weight stringently, as it can suddenly rise if I haven't been exercising enough or have a bad period.

Thanks for sharing and I hope I've helped a little (at least reassured you that you are not alone). Good luck,

Sam.

Thanks

I remember seeing a post here several months ago, a lot of cysters have high pulse rates. If your pulse goes above 120 beats a minute it is called tachycardia (meaning fast pulse) and should be checked out like Lisa said. Mine may go around 100 from time to time, but never higher than that.
    Leslie (28)

Thanks

I suspect that most women with PCOS have a high resting heart rate but don't know it because it hasn't yet been identified as a PCOS symptom, so doctors don't really look for it.

I discovered my high heart rate when my company installed a blood pressure monitor at work that also gives you a heart rate reading. I started taking my bp every day and started noticing that although my bp was normal, my heart rate was almost always over 100 bpm. I asked my Endo about it and she seemed to shrug it off.....and didn't indicate that it was a sympton of PCOS.

However, as I have been low carbing and exercising to control my PCOS symptoms, my bp and heart rate have dropped a lot (in fact I took my bp last night at work and it was 95/63 with a heart rate of 72 bpm!!!)

Anyway, I read once that the high heart rate might be triggered by the adrenals which are often stimulated by blood sugar issues......

Food for thought......
    Last edited by Erin31CA; 09-11-2002 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks

My resting heartrate has decreased since I've started exercising regularly and lost 45 lbs. It was 72-75, now it's usually about 59.
    Gluc XR 1000 mg
    April 15 - 224
    June 15 - 198
    Sep 15 - 175

Thanks

A high pulse rate can also be a sign of hyperthyroid (overactive). Heart palpatations and hand tremors were my main symptoms when I was diagnosed last December. At that time, my resting heart rate was usually in the 120s. These days, with the thyroid under control and lots of exercise, it's usually in the 70s.

It's definitely something you should ask your doctor about, but don't get completely freaked out - it may not be anything life threatening.

Good luck!
    Aidan 5, Quinn, 2.5

Hidden Content

Two sweet boys!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Conceived twice by IVF/ICSI/AH, one fresh, one frozen

Doula and natural birthing instructor