Thanks

Exclamation Glucophage Lawsuit

Hi everyone, I don't post very often. But I ran across some very interesting information. I found out that there is going to be a lawsuit against the makers of glucophage because of all of the side effects. I was told that if you have been on this medication for more than 6 months with any of the normal side effects that, this lawsuit is worth looking into. If you want more information I would be glad to answer any questions.

Kelly

Lesia

Question info

Please let me know what you found out about the med. I have been on it over a year now.

Thanks

Exclamation What kind of side effects?

I have been on this for 2 years now. I have problems with my liver function tests now. I love this medicine and am still taking it, to keep what little hair I have left ( it seems anyway). It also helped me to lose some weight and I had a surprise baby with it too!
    I hope they are not looking into long term side effects!!!!!!AHHH!

AMY

Thanks

Default This is what I found...

The only thing I could find involving Met/Gluc and a lawsuit was a suit between to pharmaceutical companies for copy right infringement.

Here's the Link:
    http://www.depomedinc.com/news/20020326-75346.htm

If anyone find anything else, please let us know!

Thanks,
    Aimee
    Last edited by CTCyster; 09-13-2002 at 03:59 PM.
    Hidden Content me: 30
    DH: 31
    DD: *Eleanor Alexandra* 13 months (born 13 weeks early on January 31, 2004@ 2lbs 2.6oz)

Nobody can make you feel inferior
    without your permission

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks

Can someone look into this and find out if there's any credibility to this? i haven't had any big side effects but am concerned if there is something dangerous that we don't know about. Thanks!
    -Infertile/Treatment Resistant (Clomid/injectables)
    -Failed gnRH pump attempt
    -Insmed study participant
    -Laparoscopy, drilling May '03
    -1200 mg DCI, 1500 Metformin
    - 5'2, 130 lbs
    -Adopted daughter, Arianna 7 years old
    -Adopted daughter, Anna, 7 months old

Thanks

I'm posting this link not because I believe that there is anything to worry about, but because several of you seem interested.
    I truly think that Met/Gluc is safe when prescribed properly. It's been used for many years with great success. The following law firm is evaluating cases and seems particularly interested in lactic acidosis cases and those who have been inappropriately prescribed Gluc.

http://www.cliffroberts.com/glucophage.htm

S~

Thanks

Sorry I haven't posted any replies yet, I have been out of town. From what I understand this lawsuit was brought up because of all the side effects.

Basically they are wanting some research done to maybe get around some of these effects. I believe there was a woman in Indiana who was on this medication for diabetic reasons and had such problems with it, very severe diariha (sp) and was in and out of the hospital. She eventually died, however there were other complications to her death, but it is somehow tied to the gluchophage as well.

The lawsuit was brought about because of this. The attorney is based here in Indiana. I have the phone number if you would like to call and get more information first hand. I'm not sure that they have a website, but I will check on that today.

If you want the phone number, send me an e-mail or private message, and I would be happy to send it your way.

Again, I am very sorry that it has taken me so long to post this information, I didn't not mean to scare anyone.

Kelly

Thanks

Originally posted by SH
    I'm posting this link not because I believe that there is anything to worry about, but because several of you seem interested.
    I truly think that Met/Gluc is safe when prescribed properly. It's been used for many years with great success. The following law firm is evaluating cases and seems particularly interested in lactic acidosis cases and those who have been inappropriately prescribed Gluc.

http://www.cliffroberts.com/glucophage.htm

S~
    These people look like scheisters to me. They're also doing
    * premirin lawsuits - http://www.cliffroberts.com/prempro.htm
    * vioxx lawsuits - http://www.cliffroberts.com/vioxx.htm
    * serzone lawsuits - http://www.cliffroberts.com/serzone.htm

Basically, I am of the (uneducated opinion) that this is a TV lawyer looking to make a dollar off anyone he can. I post this just so no one thinks that this guy is doing exclusively metformin lawsuits..... he's chasing every ambulance he can get his cloven hoofs into.

I did, however, find this:

ambulance chaser am·bu·lance chas·er
    n Slang
    1. A lawyer who obtains clients by persuading accident victims to sue for damages.
    2. A lawyer avid for clients

I'm not downplaying or even commenting on the need for metformin/gluc lawsuits, just expressing my two cents on this attorney (Plus, I love the ambulance chaser picture, heh-heh)

-=\Eric/=-
    Last edited by SoulHubby; 09-14-2002 at 01:46 PM.
    Eric SoulHubby (32) Moderator, Hubbies/BFs, Chatroom
    DW, Goddess & Love of my Life Aimee - CTCyster (30)
    DD Eleanor Alexandra - born 3 mo preemie, 1/31/04
    We're PG with #2! EDD 09-DEC-05
    Eleanor Alexandra, 2/05

Thanks

I have been on Met for about 6 months now and have not had any severe side effects at all. But there are those who do.
    In any case, these are documented and revealed side effects. So I dont understand how anyone can sue the drug manufacturer !

- S.
    We are a scientific civilization. That means a civilization in which knowledge and its integrity are crucial. Science is only a latin word for knowledge . Knowledge is our destiny. - Jacob Bronowski

Thanks

I sympathize with your situation completely right now. Just so you know, the steroids taken just by themselves can cause loss of blood sugar control. Not just taken together with Glucophage. I was on a month of Prednisone during March for a serious sinus infection. I truly believe if it weren't for the Glucophage, I would have turned diabetic then. But the alternative for me would be to have had surgery and I wasn't willing to do that with no guarrantee that they could get rid of the infection! I did get to experience the side effects of increasing my cortisol levels enough to temporarily bring on Cushing's Symptoms. I also had been on Nasonex since March and between the two, my cortisol was elevated. Went off of the Nasonex and my levels came down.

I have been battling a cough for the last 2 weeks and when I went into my Allergist because of it, he actually called my RE and discussed my treatment! I couldn't believe two doctors of mine were actually negotiating on how I would be treated! So, I am now on a half dosage of Nasonex for my sinus and a low-dosage steroid, Advair, for my Asthma.

It really sounds like that website is using a lot of scare tactics for something that is already known. Whether you take Glucophage with it or not, the chance IS there to mess around with your blood sugar levels! Even Glucophage warns about it in their prescribing information.

Perhaps you just need to discuss your concerns with your RE, Lisa instead of dumping him immediately. What about your RE and you doctor that has prescribed your other meds talking to each other to negotiate your treatment? I think it is worth doing that since you really like your current doctor. Good luck either way.

P.S. I am now VERY wary of attorney's and their tactics after dealing with a few legal issues last year. Take what that website says with a huge grain of salt!

Thanks

I'm on pulmicort and nasacort myself; I generally found that if I limit my dosages to when I really need them instead of taking them every day as prescribed, they do their job and I don't end up cushingoid or having blood sugar problems.

What about people who are suffering from adrenal fatigue or have addison's as well as need glucophage...? They need corticosteroids to survive and prosper... I think they do just fine.

PCOS+IR, Hypothyroidism
    Sleep Apnea (cured by tonsillectomy)
    30-Something Mommy of 2
    Logan Scott born April 9, 2004!
    Conor James born Nov 1, 2006.

Hidden Content   Hidden Content

Thanks

Well I'm lucky in that my asthma has been under control since I was a child. It used to be quite severe but I grew out of it for the most part. Now it only peaks when certain things push it to the fore - like this last time when I had my tonsils out in July. I went in and got pulmicort and nasacort, and used them every day as directed for a week and a half or so, and then I was able to taper off to once-in-a-while and hopefully I'll be able to go to "never needed" soon!

I get obstructive bronchitis whenever my asthma is irritated. It's very nasty and I need steroids to get the congestion out.

I've heard people with adrenal fatigue say that once they started cortef every day, they were able to stop using asthma meds! Makes me wonder if us with asthma don't just have weak adrenals that need a boost some or all of the time.

I know how serious asthma is, my oldest sister had a run-in where her o2 went down so far they had to pump her with some emergency medication that collapsed all the veins in her body and put her into seizure activity. The doctors had to kill her for a couple of minutes to stop the sezures! She was revived, and spent 14 days in a coma! She came home to live with my mom and I for several months after that to rest and recover while her husband and kids tried to wrap things up at home to move back closer to us. She had to go through a lot of physical therapy, and it took time to get back to normal. It was very nasty.

PCOS+IR, Hypothyroidism
    Sleep Apnea (cured by tonsillectomy)
    30-Something Mommy of 2
    Logan Scott born April 9, 2004!
    Conor James born Nov 1, 2006.

Hidden Content   Hidden Content

Thanks

Default Metformin , Glucophage Lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by *Angel~Baby* View Post
    Sorry I haven't posted any replies yet, I have been out of town. From what I understand this lawsuit was brought up because of all the side effects.

Basically they are wanting some research done to maybe get around some of these effects. I believe there was a woman in Indiana who was on this medication for diabetic reasons and had such problems with it, very severe diariha (sp) and was in and out of the hospital. She eventually died, however there were other complications to her death, but it is somehow tied to the gluchophage as well.

The lawsuit was brought about because of this. The attorney is based here in Indiana. I have the phone number if you would like to call and get more information first hand. I'm not sure that they have a website, but I will check on that today.

If you want the phone number, send me an e-mail or private message, and I would be happy to send it your way.

Again, I am very sorry that it has taken me so long to post this information, I didn't not mean to scare anyone.

Kelly
    Hello Kelly, can you please send me the phone number to that attorney that you talk about on hear...my e-mail address is carlos.castle at gmail dot com Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,280 Posts

This post is really old...if there ever was a lawsuit I imagine it's long since settled now.