Thanks

Default Does losing weight help make the excess body and facial hair go away?

Hello,

I have heard that losing weight helps keep excess body and facial hair under control. Does anybody here know if that is true or not? I am 5'3" tall and weigh about 193lbs, so I am significantly overweight. I should be around 110-122lbs.

My excess body hair has been keeping me away from dating and meeting any guys. Most of the guys that I have met are disgusted by my excess hair. The nice ones just never call again. It is so depressing. How did any of you married "soulcysters" meet your husbands? At first, were they digusted out by your excess body hair or were they understanding?

Thanks

Hello
    Before I got pregnant I lost alot of weight (like 27 kilos- sorry don't know what that is in pounds) and while the face and body hair didn't goa way, it was alot easier to manage, I really noticed it didn't grow as fast. I was also on metformin so that may have had something to do with it.

Hope that helps
    2 beautiful boys : DS1 born 24 April '06 9lb1oz
    DS2 born 29 March '08 11lb5oz
    1 angel baby 21 Feb '07
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I have heard that it helps.
    Synthroid,Celexa,Singulair,Vitamin B,Prilosec
    TTC Since 5/2004, 3 IUI'S A BUST Clomid 100mgs
    IUI 10/27/08 BFP "I'm going to be a Mommy" Beta 15DPO -108, 17DPO - 331
    1st ultrasound 12/1 - strong heartbeat, 2nd ultrasound 1/5 - Heartbeat 162

IT'S A BOY!!!!! EDD 7/19/2009 Luca Allen Maarten, Born 6/28/09, 5lbs 15ozs 18inches
    WLS in April 2013 - Sleeve

Hidden Content

Thanks

Hello heavensent,

From my experience, weight loss did not help with the excess hair I had. Although never officially diagnosed with PCOS, I did suffer from several symptoms and excess facial hair was one of them. I started excercising a bunch and lost approx. 35 pounds. It did not stop the facial hair but it did wonders for me in terms of regulating my cycle and just helping me feel healthier.

I would strongly encourage you to check into laser hair removal. I had my first treatment in Aug. of '05 and will be going for my sixth and final treatment on May 12. I tell you what - LHR has changed my life! It was the best money I ever spent. I no longer have to feel so ashamed of my face and it is as smooth as ever. The best part is, it's permanent so once you finish the treatments, and your PCOS symptoms are under control, you never have to worry about it again.

I completely understand what you mean about the whole man thing. It is very hurtful. I guess I can't really offer any advice on that because I am still single myself. I don't get men....they are so hard to figure out.

Hugs and good luck!

Thanks

I lost a considerable amount of weight last year, and my excess hair didn't change one iota.

I too am single and have facial hair (as well as elsewhere on my body) and I agree with you - it's so hard to be single with the PCOS symptoms!

Thanks

Like you I never get into any relationships because of the hair, it's tough when people ask when are you gonni get a boyfriend. I've heard that losing weight helps improve the symptoms. I think eating as organically as you can is the best way to go but I cant really do this as it's too expensive. I usually mix vinigar in with water and wash my fruit/veg that way as it's supposed to get rid of the stuff sprayed on it.

Thanks

My doctor told me that loosing weight would help the hair growth. 40 lbs lost, and not a big change. In fact, if I am not religiously taking my spiro, it's just as bad as ever.

Here was the reasoning my doc gave:
    The hair growth is caused by increased androgens in our bodies. Androgens are stored in fat. Burn off the fat, decrease the androgens. But it gets more complicated with blood sugar levels, which I haven't gotten under control yet.
    Heather

Diagnosed: 07/05
    Spironolactone 100mg/day
    Met XR 1500mg/day
    Yasmin, multi, BComplex
    Metabolic Syndrome Diet (12/05)

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    May 2005 /March 2006 (I hate candid shots)

Thanks

Default Not for me.

Unfortunately, it didn't help. I am down 40lbs and I don't see a difference from when I was heavier. I am pretty disappointed about that. I'll get more laser hair removal when I can afford it.
    Jen
    Diagnosed in 1993.
    Orthocyclen, Metformin 2000mg, Spironolactone 200mg, Vaniqa, Foltx.

Princess*Mudd*Puddle princess_mudd_puddle's Avatar
    Thanks

I just wanted to say that I met my husband online and he's well aware of my hair issues and struggles, but loves me all the same. I'm very high maintenance about it and rarely let him see me without dealing with my morning "stubble". But he doesn't care, he loves me all the same and we even occasionally joke about it, because he knows it makes me feel better. I have heard that weight-loss helps, but really have no idea. I am currently about to invest in laser hair removal. I'm saving as we speak. I'm very excited. Perhaps you should look into that, but also keep in mind if a man is willing to walk away because of a few hairs, really he's not worth it.
    Hidden Content Me (22) and DH (24)
    DX'd with PCOS January 2005
    No meds currently

Thanks

I originally met my hubby when we were teens, long before my PCOS symptoms reared their ugly heads. We dated for 5 years off and on, then went our seperate ways for 17 years. We've been back together for almost 11 years now and married for almost 9.

The most my husband has ever said about anything was after I had the flu and was sick for a week, he asked if I was trying to grow a better goatee than his. Luckily for him I was feeling well enough to get a good laugh and not throw the nearest hard object at him. He usually doesn't even seem to notice, and it's really helped me to accept it, myself.

I would say just do what you can to take care of yourself, physically and emotionally, and know that when the right guy comes along, he will fall in love with your spirit and your soul. Your body and all its quirks will just be window dressing.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Thanks

I've lost about 13 pounds in the last few months (doesn't sound like much, but given my start weight was 187 pounds and now I'm at 174 it's about a 7% body fat loss - goal weight for being healthy is 154 pounds, I'm 5'7"-ish) - my facial hair is growing back a lot slower and seems to be lessening (had it in the sideburn area and around the neck) - fingers crossed the more weight I lose that it'll improve more!

I also had a slight receding hairline and there are little hairs starting to grow back around there now and it's getting thicker.

I think it really is an individual thing whether weightloss will fix the probs - but losing weight can't hurt and it definitely seems to be helping me.....
    DX: 2004
    Medication: Estelle (BCP), Vit. B, Spiro
    Symptoms: High cholesterol, Hirsutism, Cysts, Weight probs
    Height: 167 cm
    Exercise: 40-60 mins a day 4-6 days a week

Hidden Content

Start Weight (March 06): 187 pounds/85 kgs
    Current Weight: 165 pounds/75 kgs
    Weight Goal: 154 pounds/70kg
    (143 pounds/65kg if I'm lucky :p )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heavensent
    My excess body hair has been keeping me away from dating and meeting any guys. Most of the guys that I have met are disgusted by my excess hair. The nice ones just never call again. It is so depressing. How did any of you married "soulcysters" meet your husbands? At first, were they digusted out by your excess body hair or were they understanding?
    I went out to a social evening in a great hurry without shaving. I never expected there would be any interesting males there. He saw me and wondered how old I was (actually 19) -- thought I might be much younger, because I was very flat-chested. Then he saw the coarse stubble on my upper lip and figured that if I had been shaving long enough to have coarse stubble I must be in my late teens or early 20s, so he made some enquiries about me, and the rest is history.