Thanks

Default Fatty Tumor In Leg

Hey!! I was just curious if any one else has had this problem? I have a fatty tumor in my leg just below my knee. It seems to be growing my doc says we will deal with it after my hysterectomy on the 7th of July. But I was just curious if anyone else had these fatty tumors???????????
    Melanie

Hidden Content Love is Friendship on FireHidden Content

Thanks

Hi Melanie, I'm curious what does a fatty tumor look like? I think I might have one on the inside of my upper leg it looks like a bulge and it's just the one leg so I know it's not normal and do you know if they are dangerous? Thanks

Thanks

Hi,

I don't have this, but my mother has these. Its called a fatty lipoma. She also has one on her leg below the knee. She also had one under her arm. They don't seem to be dangerous, just inconvenient. She had the one under her arm removed a few years ago, but she hasn't had the leg one done yet, as she doesn't want a general anaesthetic.

Obviously, I would have this checked out by a doctor to be safe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobinW
    Hi Melanie, I'm curious what does a fatty tumor look like? I think I might have one on the inside of my upper leg it looks like a bulge and it's just the one leg so I know it's not normal and do you know if they are dangerous? Thanks

Yes it looks just like a bulge. Doesn't really hurt until it is touched and as far as I know no it isn't dangerous according to my doctor.....but have yours checked to make sure that is what it is ...........
    Melanie

Hidden Content Love is Friendship on FireHidden Content

Thanks

Thanks I am gonna do that..........

Thanks

In normal people, lipomas are common, harmless, usually not painful and fairly easily removed for convenience or cosmetic reasons under local or general anesthesia. Docs can to a biopsy if you want.

I have a something called Dercum's Disease that causes many of them to grow all over, invading muscle and pressing on nerves. It is extremely painful and has many other symptoms. Mine are deep in the tissue and not very visible, though. HOWEVER, this disease is extremely rare and doctors know little about it.

New Year's fitness Celebration:
    In 2006 I cycled approximately 1800miles, hiked up 4 mountains, took a walking tour of San Francisco, hiked in 4 california national parks, swam in a pool with palm trees on my birthday, hiked and biked along the Oregon Coast, climbed to numerous breathtaking waterfalls, explored a gold mine, a silver mine and a cinnabar mine, and walked a fantastic loop along frozen streams and icecicle waterfalls at Opal Creek in winter.

Thanks

My mother and I both have fatty tumors and they are not dangerous or at least both of our docs told us that.
    Shana (32) Chris (36)

Loving my miracle Boy!!

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

My aunt gets them and had one the size of a softball removed. I have two but they are very small and have not grown as far as I can tell. They only hurt when I push on them. When they first popped up my Dr. said it was no biggie.

Thanks

I had one on my lower back to the side below my waistband. It got to be about egg sized. I had it removed with local anesthesia....no big deal.
    "I knew I had a problem when I put my underpants on backwards and they fit better..."
    Age 46
    Obesity, very mild hirsuitism now almost gone with age and met, seriously thinning hair. Regular cycles on met.
    Diagnosed with diabetes 8/2003

Thanks

Hi everyone,
    I did not read the reason for the site. Oops. I just read about fatty tumors and i was wanting to respond.

I have fatty tumors all over. Most people don't notice them until they touch my arm or watch me for a while. Mine are below the skin on my back, stomach, upper arms (one is quite painful), forearms (that cause an undulating surface of my skin), on my bottom, legs, and now on my foot. I am seeing a podiatrist and began reading about Dercums because of my constant aching. Not all fatty tumors are benign though most are, not all are painless. It is not easy to get some doctors to biopsy because they think it is harmless. If you want to know more about painful fatty tumors you can look up Dercums or Adiposa Dolorosa.

I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago due to a grapefruit size fibroid. Some sights have recently suggested a relation between fibroid/cysts and fatty tumors.

I am still learning.
    Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minimoe View Post
    Hey!! I was just curious if any one else has had this problem? I have a fatty tumor in my leg just below my knee. It seems to be growing my doc says we will deal with it after my hysterectomy on the 7th of July. But I was just curious if anyone else had these fatty tumors???????????
    I have had three that I have know of. When I was a baby, not even a year old I had one removed from my neck. (a lipoma) . Then while I was in college I had another one on the back of my neck removed in Aug. 2005. Recently (This past July) they found anothere one. It is located from my first to my third vertabre (this one has not been removed yet)

[quote=LadyBlue;1887813652]In normal people, lipomas are common, harmless, usually not painful and fairly easily removed for convenience or cosmetic reasons under local or general anesthesia. Docs can to a biopsy if you want.
    They are not all simply to remove. Just depends on the location. As stated above the one I have now is sitting below my brain stem from my first to my third vertabre. I haven't had the surgery yet..but it's going to be a eight hour surgery. (Many Risk) Oh mine have ALL be painful. Just to let people know who have had them or that may have them in the future that they can have pain. The one I have now too is actually sitting on a nerve as well that causes severe headaches on the back right side of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by shana0923 View Post
    My mother and I both have fatty tumors and they are not dangerous or at least both of our docs told us that.
    No they aren't dangerous . My Neuro-Surgeon said They only become dangerous when they are located in bad places. (like your spinal cord)
    ~Rachel (21) & DH Shannon (29)~
    TTC #1
    Clomid 150mg CD3-7
    Metformin 1500 mg
    Prenatals
    Provera for 10 days when needed
    Clomid Round #1-No O
    Clomid Round #2-No O
    When you love someone,
    all your saved-up wishes start coming out.