Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Default Metformin and appetite

Hi!
    For those of you who are on a higher dose of met (I am on 1500), do you find that your appetite is significantly less? Mine is this way, and if I go throughout the day without eating, I end up feeling terrible, until I eat something. But I am eating because I feel bad, not so much that I am hungry. I have not lost any weight because of this.
    Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

One of the side effects of Met can be food aversion, or an anoerexic like reaction to food. I had it for several months. I asked my doctor if this is what skinny people feel like, because I had never before NOT wanted food. I lost about 30 pounds, but after about six months my metabolism reasserted itself and my appetite came back, and the weight loss stopped. I still don't crave food like I used to unless I have gone way too many hours without eating.

Thanks

I need to eat 3 meals a day when I am on met otherwise I feel icky. But my doc told me that met is an appetite suppresant! YAY!
    I would eat some small meals throughout the day.

Thanks

I lost 23kg (50lbs) while on met. For a while all I wanted to eat was cereal so I ate that 3 times a day just so I could have food in my stomach to take the met. Just before I got pregnant my appetite started coming back and the weight loss steadied.
    I am hoping to re-start met this week and although I was glad to lose that weight I can't really do it again that way because I'm breastfeeding!
    2 beautiful boys : DS1 born 24 April '06 9lb1oz
    DS2 born 29 March '08 11lb5oz
    1 angel baby 21 Feb '07
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

YES!!!!!!!!!! i have absolutly NO interest in food and i have to foce myself to eat and end up gagging!!! even with foods i enjoy....or well used to!

In the beggining i felt horriable if i didn't eat...now it doesn't happen as much...occasionally but not often....its when i do finally get an apitite you have to watch out cuz if i don't get something quick i turn into a bear......LOL

orr sometimes i feel soooooooooooo hungry and i make something...sit down to eat it and just the site of it makes me wanna puke and i can only force a bite or two in....

Thanks

Metformin definately suppresses my appetite....something that makes me very happy!!!! Although sometimes it also seems to make it harder for me to know when I am hungry and need to eat.

Thanks

I rarely get hungry since I started Met. If it wasn't for worrying that my blood sugar would drop or I would get migranes I think I would probably forget to eat most days. I really worried my mom for a while, but since I'm still overweight I don't think she worries anymore. I am stuck at 172 or so and cannot seem to loose. I was down below 170 for a while, but ate a ton while on vacation. Since then I can't seem to drop back below 170.
    DD 6 years old ~ DS 9 months old

Thanks

The metformin has taken away my appetite too. Sometimes I don't know I am hungry until I hear my stomach making noises. I like this though. I try to eat 6 small, mostly veggie and protein, meals a day. This is the first time that I haven't eaten every cookie in site and being in an office full of Christmas cookies - this feels really good.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I agree. I usually don't eat until my stomach gets to rumbling. My husband thinks that I'm crazy. But I just don't have the desire to eat! I haven't really lost any weight though but Im not complaining. I like me the way I am!
    Hidden Content

Exavior J'Sean born August 30, 2010 @ 31 weeks 6 days weighing 4lb 6oz.

Robert Joseph born May 27, 2013 @ 36 weeks 6 days weighing 5lb 12oz.

Thanks

Unhappy Lack of appetite on Met...

I know most people would consider this a GOOD thing! However, since being on Met, I've had little to no appetite on most days. It's not due to nausea or stomach problems, as I've had very few stomach issues on Met. It's more that I "forget" to eat....if didn't have to take my Met doses with meals, I'd probably not want to eat at all. You'd think that I'd be losing tons of weight by not eating much, but I'm not losing much weight at all.

This is bothering me because if I keep forgetting to eat some of my meals and snacks, I'm afraid that my metabolism will slow down and I'll start feeling run down. Obviously we all need to have energy from food to work out and get through the day.

I'm glad to see that there are others here who have the same problem I do. I don't want to become anorexic; I just want to eat appropriately to be healthy...and lose weight the RIGHT way.

Thanks

Since I have been on Met (1000 mg) my appetite has diminished but the weight is still there. Some days I can go a long time w/o being hungry then other days I am just as hungry but can't eat as much. I want to loose weight the healthy way but I wouldn't mind if this was my miracle drug either. I got married 1 year and a couple of months ago and since then I have put on 35 lbs. This is the biggest I have ever been in my life and it's so dicouraging, although I know it's my fault I gained the weight to begin with.

Overall I am happy with Met and hope it brings on AF soon. It's been 1 and a half months and counting since my last period.

Thanks

I can completely relate to the lack of appetite. Food just doesn't appeal to me in the way it used to at all. I eat three times a day to take my pills but otherwise it's really rare for me to get het up about any particular foodstuffs. Otherwise I too get that 'oops my tummy's rumbling' thing too.

I have lost some weight off the back of it - although I had been going to the gym / eating better for about six months before I started on the Met. My combined weightloss is currently over four stone (about 55 pounds I think in imperial). I feel a bit of a fraud though - it's hard to get excited about it knowing in part it's purely chemical. Yes, I am officially a grinch, sorry
    A mainly lurking newbie... Although you have no idea how just reading other people's posts helps Hidden Content
    Now with a PCOS blog, mainly because when my lovely friends and family ask how I'm doing nowadays you can almost see them thinking 'Please just say fine! Just say fine! Don't tell me about your ovaries. Or mention your apparent obsession with the fact you have toe hair. Please!'
    If you're so inclined you can check it out at
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I eat a lot less then I used to. I don't eat nearly as much, but more often. I am now a snacker. My fav snack is a Granny Smith Apple. I have lost about 23 lbs. in a little over a month. I kind of like being a snacker, I eat a lot healthier.
    Stephanie

Metformin 850mg 2x daily
    Multi Vitamin
    Folic Acid
    Provera for --
    Round 1 of Clomid 50 mg CD3-7

TTC since 2006

Thanks

Angry appetite loss AND aversion to food

I was diagnosed with PCOS and started taking Glucophage XR @ 1500 MG day since April 2008. I've lost 30 pounds or so and am now a size 8.

The food thing is really difficult for me. I just don't want to eat. Foods I used to love-- like filet mingnon with bearnaise sauce and shrimp-- absolutely disgust me.

The only foods I can seem to ingest are oatmeal, raisins, chocolate milk, ferrero rocher, bananas, apples, pears, peaches, tangerines, coca-cola, salad (no dressing) and green beans. That's it. It's driving me nuts and my husband too.

I was diagnosed with Anorexia when I was 14, but this is different now. I mean, I WANT to eat, it just makes me sick to look at it. It's weird. I'm not used to this.

I am hoping it will go away, I really do miss eating food.

Wife to a Wonderful Man MrsLtrain's Avatar
    Thanks

I do feel significantly less hungry while on met. BUT-I have to eat 3 times of day(two with a dose of met) or I will feel terrible! But like you, it has not really changed my weight that drastically yet.
    Hidden Content Nesha
    aka Mrs.Lassiter
    Me(23)Hidden Content DH(24)
    Started first medicated cycle Mar09-Apr09
    Clomid cd4-8 and Ovidrel cd18 O'd-BFN!
    Lost over 30lbs!
    Finally TTC again, using CBFM, healthy diet, weight loss and exercise!
    Blessed!