Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Lizzy elizagoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    York PA
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Unhappy Dark Armpits - Plastic Surgery an Option

    Okay - when I first noticed the dark patches of skin under my arms I thought it was because I didn't shave. I was only 14 at the time so I couldn't imagine shaving that young. So now at 29, it seems the dark patches have gotten worse. I would like to once in my life to wear a sleeveless top. It's hard buying clothes when my armpits show. In addition, I've also been cursed with small breasts that seemed underdeveloped. I'm thought about plastic surgery for implants and I was wondering if skin lightening could be an option.

    Has anyone done anything about the dark patches? I've read to use skin lightening which won't erase the color but make it lighter. I want it gone!!!! Any help will greatly be appreciated. I'm available through personal email or on the board.

    Thanks!

    Lizzy

  2. #2
    Registered User joyblack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,006
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 109 Times in 93 Posts

    Default Pastic Surgery an Option

    Quote Originally Posted by elizagoh
    Okay - when I first noticed the dark patches of skin under my arms I thought it was because I didn't shave. I was only 14 at the time so I couldn't imagine shaving that young. So now at 29, it seems the dark patches have gotten worse. I would like to once in my life to wear a sleeveless top. It's hard buying clothes when my armpits show. In addition, I've also been cursed with small breasts that seemed underdeveloped. I'm thought about plastic surgery for implants and I was wondering if skin lightening could be an option.

    Has anyone done anything about the dark patches? I've read to use skin lightening which won't erase the color but make it lighter. I want it gone!!!! Any help will greatly be appreciated.
    I reckon that everyone has something they'd like to see improved. But everyone has some limitation with regard to the clothes that look good on them and for myself, though I can see the attraction of sleeveless tops, I've never found it too much of a burden to wear tops that cover my armpits ( in my case because I really don't want to burden myself with shaving them). And as for small breasts, I've now reached the conclusion that though I wouldn't have chosen to be almost flat-chested, in point of fact an open-necked top will always attract quite a bit of attention, especially when worn over bare skin. Maybe they're not a curse after all.

  3. #3
    UK & Irish Mod Eva37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    14,866
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    welcome tosc. Never had plastic surgery.
    eva
    PCOS, LOCAH, ER+ breast cancer, Endom, Lichen Planus, IBS, HS, raised bp/ cholesterol. Meds: Spiro, Bendrofluazide, Amlodopine, Simvastatin, Met, Prednisolone, Mebeverine, Omeprazole, Tamoxafen ,

    Me - 45, hubby 39 son 15 Married 18 years

    She is buffeted by the wind, but she does not sink.

    Hidden Content Hidden Content

  4. #4
    Caden and Cole's Mommy! NicMarc1213's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,743
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Have you been tested for IR or are you taking metformin? The dark patches on you skin are usually related to insulin resistance. I had dark skin on the back of my neck. I started metformin about 4 months ago and the dark skin has lightened considerably.
    As for the plastic surgery...it's a personal choice. If it will make you feel more comfortable and confident, then I say go for it.
    Nicole (32) & Marc (29)
    3 angels in heaven
    My Beautiful Babies

    IVF#1 - Caden Joseph 12/27/07
    8lbs 8oz 20 inches
    Hidden Content

    SURPRISE BFP - Cole Anthony 11/10/09
    8lbs 11oz 20 1/4 inches
    Hidden Content


    Hidden Content

  5. #5
    Lizzy elizagoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    York PA
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thumbs up Met Pills

    Well, my doc did give me a presciption but she didn't say anything about the dark patches. I didn't take it because they are big pills (I'm a wuss, I know) but after reading a lot of the posts I've decided to try it. I took it one day and had such bad diarhea and nausea that I haven't taken it since. I'll start up again but it's depressing.

    I feel like a freak. I hate having all these symptoms. But I'll definitely get back on the met.

    Thanks for the help.

  6. #6
    Thankful Cyster Reese77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Posts
    730
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    It sounds like the dark patches that I have that are related to insulin resistance. The only thing that has helped me out is losing weight because it helps with the insulin levels. I've also heard that some medications can help with insulin resistance.
    Me-29,DH- 36, DSS- 13, DD-1
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  7. #7
    Ani Rose & Aerilyn's Mama R0xyg4l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,341
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I have dark patches on my underarms too. I'm just happy that it's there and not elsewhere. I know there is something called light therapy you can get sometimes with facials that help to even out uneven pigmentation on your face. I'm not sure if you can do the same for your underarms. I found this post under a plastic surgery website:

    Question:
    WHY ARE MY ARMPITS SO MUCH DARKER THAN THE REST OF MY SKIN? I ALSO HAVE REALLY DARK SPOTS ON THE BACK OF MY THIGHS. WHAT IS THIS I'VE HAD IT ALL MY LIFE. IS THERE TREATMENT FOR ME?
    Answer:
    I would see a dermatologist for suggestions. They can see you and I can't! You might be able to use fading creams.

    I hope this helps! Best of luck!

    Kristina (28), Dustin (29), Ani Rose (7) & Aerilyn Gael
    Two angel babies:
    16wks 10/08 & 9wks 03/09

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content


    Ani Rose born 3/21/03. The best big sis ever!

  8. #8
    Registered User StarMaiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    897
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elizagoh
    Well, my doc did give me a presciption but she didn't say anything about the dark patches. I didn't take it because they are big pills (I'm a wuss, I know) but after reading a lot of the posts I've decided to try it. I took it one day and had such bad diarhea and nausea that I haven't taken it since. I'll start up again but it's depressing.

    I feel like a freak. I hate having all these symptoms. But I'll definitely get back on the met.

    Thanks for the help.
    If the dark patches are acanthosis nigricans, and they probably are, they are part of the insulin resistance from PCOS. If you take metformin and get your hormones under control, the patches will very most likely go away.

    And yes, metformin give a lot of us upset digestive systems for a couple weeks when we start it. STICK with it, people usually get past that phase, and it is worth it for your overall health. In the "Metformin" part of SoulCysters, there's lots of good info on coping with the upset stomach.
    "I knew I had a problem when I put my underpants on backwards and they fit better..."
    Age 46
    Obesity, very mild hirsuitism now almost gone with age and met, seriously thinning hair. Regular cycles on met.
    Diagnosed with diabetes 8/2003

  9. #9
    Registered User jlucy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    1,659
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    well, if the meds don't help I'm sure there is a procedure you can have. I mean girls have anal bleaching so I'm sure you can bleach your armpits too!
    not TTC
    I was meant to be a mommy to dogs.

  10. #10
    Registered User Fula97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    On Earth
    Posts
    1,088
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jlucy
    well, if the meds don't help I'm sure there is a procedure you can have. I mean girls have anal bleaching so I'm sure you can bleach your armpits too!
    Not certain what you should try because bleaching cream would most likely irratitate the skin. I would speak to a derm

    Anal bleaching!!!! Its never that serious nor is anyone getting that close to complain the color is too dark :-)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content


    Hidden Content



    Hidden Content

    I Hiked Mt Fuji in Japan in AUGUST 2006

    1000mg - Calcium
    50,000IU Vit D twice a week
    2000mg fish oil
    1 prenatal vitamin
    Iron Supplement
    B12
    Red Yeast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •