Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Jencyster

Default There is a cure for PCOS..there is HOPE.

Don't let anyone tell you PCOS cannot be cured....they are dead WRONG !! Please read everything carefully and take what you can from this information.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a condition where multiple follicular cysts are present on the ovaries. Multiple follicles start to grow and in severe cases none of the follicles ripen enough for an ovum to be released. Often resulting in an irregularity or an inability to ovulate. PCOS can cause higher than normal testosterone and Luteinizing Hormone levels, and low progesterone levels increasing the risk of uterine cancer breast cancer and estrogen dominance.

Cause PCOS is caused by an abnormality in the pituitary or hypothalamus glands or an imbalance between the adrenal and ovarian hormones

Symptoms can include all of the symptoms of estrogen dominance and where testosterone levels are high; increased facial hair, acne and obesity.

Estrogen dominance

The precise balance between estrogen and progesterone is essential for normal fertility. PCOS can often cause estrogen dominance - while normal estrogen levels are usually recognised during the first half of the womans' cycle (follicular phase), a failure to ovulate stops progesterone from reaching normal levels during the second half of the cycle (luteal phase) which is required for the precise balance between the two. If estrogen levels continue cycle after cycle unopposed by progesterone (its natural counterpart) estrogen dominance often prevails, with very serious health risks.

Estrogen dominance can cause the following conditions: abnormal thyroid function, accelerated ageing, agitation, allergies (asthma, rashes and sinusitis), anxiety, auto-immune disorders (lupus, thyroiditis), bloating, blurred vision, breast tenderness, cervical dysplasia, endometriosis, cold hands and feet, copper retention, decreased libido, depression, dry eyes, extra short follicular or luteal phases, fatigue, fibrocystic breasts, food cravings, gallbladder disease, hair thinning, headaches, hypoglycaemia, increased risk of breast cancer, increased blood clotting, increased risk of stroke, infertility, irregular periods, increased facial hair, irritability, insomnia, loss of zinc, memory loss, miscarriage, mood swings, osteoporosis, premature menstruation, pre-menopausal bone density loss, PMS, reduced oxygen in cells, reduced vascular tone and circulation, salt retention, sluggish metabolism, uterine cancer, uterine cramping, uterine fibroids, water retention, weight gain (especially the hips thighs and abdomen).

Medical treatment for PCOS is with ovarian stimulating drugs (Clomid); stimulates the production of FSH, which in turn can trigger ovulation. While this drug can induce ovulation it does not treat the cause of the condition, and may cause further hormonal disturbances. Clomid has also been linked with ovarian cancer as well as other side effects like exploding ovaries, nausea, headaches and thrush. Clomid is known to thicken the cervical mucus - lowering fertility.

Natural treatments

Unlike Clomid, natural remedies can be used to treat and try to cure the actual cause of this condition. Good nutrition is imperative as is weight loss in cases of women who suffer from obesity.

Detoxification is the first step to eliminate harmful toxins from the body. Then a variety of natural treatments are recommended to regulate the hormonal imbalance and stimulate the sex glands to promote normal functioning. Acupuncture and herbs are the best combined treatment for this condition (PCOS) and one can overcome this problem within a few short months, with ovaries returning back to normal size and function and hormonal balance and normal cycles restored.

The risk of miscarriage is higher with sufferers of PCOS and/or estrogen dominance; once the problem is corrected a healthy conception and pregnancy can occur. Some of the herbs listed are not suitable for those trying to conceive, so it is best to wait until this treatment is finished or consult your herbalist or naturopath.

Detoxification takes place through the digestive, urinary, immune, lymphatic, and circulatory and respiratory systems as well as the skin. Through the use of antioxidants, vitamin and mineral rich fruit and vegetables or supplements and cleansing and stimulating herbs you can detoxify your bodily systems slowly over the course of a 10 days. You must seek the advice of your GP or naturopath before beginning a detoxification program and introduce the herbs or make dietary changes slowly.

Detoxification is important to remove toxic substances from the body and these herbs are effective

Calendula, kelp, ginkgo biloba, juniper, echinacea, sarsaparilla, St Johns wort, marjoram, cleavers, ginger, garlic, cayenne, dandelion root, false unicorn root, golden seal, fenugreek, ginseng, rose hips, red raspberry leaf, red clover, hops, peppermint, comfrey, lemon balm, parsley, turmeric, alfalfa, lemon grass, black cohosh, blue cohosh, valerian, barberry, bilberry, bayberry, nasturtium and salvia.

Vitamins, minerals and foods for detoxification are - Vitamin A, Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, calcium, zinc, iron, chromium, selenium, magnesium, manganese, garlic and onions, celery, legumes, citrus fruit, bananas, apples and pears, black tea and green tea, wheat germ, wholemeal and whole wheat products, soy products, brown rice, seeds and nuts, beans, peas, sprouts, lentils, free range eggs, deep sea fish, asparagus, brussel sprouts and cabbage, all vegetables and fresh vegetable juices, olive oil, flaxseed oil and linseed oil. Avoid all poultry, red meat and meat products for the first 4 days and reintroduce organically grown meat and poultry slowly starting from day 5.

Drinks - purified or spring water is essential for detoxification, you should drink between 2 and 3 litres per day, as well as vegetable juices and herbal teas including black tea and green tea. A glass of water first thing in the morning with the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon will do wonders.

Exercise- Undertake light exercise like walking or swimming daily and breathe lots of clean fresh air, include gentle stretches or yoga.

A hot sitz bath (bath up to the hip/abdomen level) with 500gms of Epsom salts added will also help to eliminate toxins from the skin. Essential oils can be added to the bath water for added effect - geranium, calendula, cleavers, peppermint, ginger, hay flower, horsetail, mustard seed, thyme, camomile, lavender, sweet violet, nettle, bittersweet, eucalyptus or sandalwood. Sitz baths (with or without Epsom salts) have shown to be very effective at stimulating the ovaries, promoting circulation and digestion, lymphatic function and improve general wellbeing.

The bath should remain hot - you may need to top up the bath with hot water at intervals and take a 20 - 30 min sitz bath at least 3 times per week.

A sauna is also an effective way to eliminate toxins from the skin.

A body brush or loofa is also helpful just prior to a bath or shower, to remove dead skin cells and improve circulation.

Massage - Lymphatic massage or drainage is another technique to eliminate toxic substances form the body; this is also useful in weight loss as it increases circulation.

Avoid all drugs, caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, refined carbohydrates and sugars, pre-packaged, deep fried food, highly processed foods, salt (sea or herb salt is preferred), saturated fats, chemicals and additives.

Natural treatments for PCOS

Complimentary Medicine

Complimentary medicines such as Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Naturopathy, Iridology, Reflexology, Acupuncture, Acupressure or Chinese Herbs can all help to treat the cause rather than just suppress the symptoms ~ any of these healing modalities can be used to compliment orthodox medicine and can help speed the healing process.
    Testosterone
    High testosterone levels can be lowered with the use of the herb Chaste tree.
    Caution - you must not use chaste tree if LH levels are also high.

Luteinizing Hormone

High LH levels can be lowered with the use of these herbs - Black Cohosh, Bugleweed and Hops.

Progesterone

These herbs can be helpful in raising progesterone levels - Wild yam, sarsaparilla, true unicorn root, blue cohosh, fenugreek, beth root, yucca and mistletoe. Natural progesterone creams have also proven very successful in treating estrogen dominance.

To balance the hormones Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin E, zinc, magnesium, chromium, vanadium, and herbs - false unicorn root, dong quai, black cohosh, liquorice and peony

Herbs to help with cysts are Thuja, poke root, red clover, violet leaves and blue flag.

Food for healthy ovaries alfalfa, all sprouted seeds/beans, soy products, tofu, tempeh, linseed, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, millet, cucumber, wheat germ, and herbs - aniseed, parsley, sage, hops, red clover, black cohosh, kelp, fennel, liquorice, dong quai, St Johns wort, wild yam, peony, and ladies mantle.

Sitz baths (with or without Epsom salts) have shown to be very effective at stimulating the ovaries, promoting circulation and digestion, lymphatic function and improve general wellbeing. The bath should remain hot - you may need to top up the bath with hot water at intervals and take a 20 - 30 min sitz bath at least 3 times per week.

Essential oils can be added to the bath water for added effect - geranium, calendula, peppermint, ginger, hay flower, thyme, camomile, lavender, sweet violet, eucalyptus or sandalwood. You can use herbal tea bags or a few drops of pure essential oil.

Massage - promotes circulation

A pressure point to stimulate pituitary function is located underneath the foot in the centre of the big toe, massage or pressure on this point can help to 'wake up' the pituitary gland and can help to treat pituitary dysfunction.
    See the page on reflexology for more information on how to treat yourself to a fertility boost or book in for a reflexology treatment with a qualified practitioner in your area

What are normal hormone levels?

Hormone
    follicular
    mid cycle
    luteal
    Estrogen
    100-750
    370-1500
    370-770
    FSH
    2-12
    12-90
    2-12
    LH
    2-12
    15+
    2-15
    Progesterone
    .5-4.5

10-89
    Testosterone
    6-86

The ratio of LH:FSH in the follicular phase is usually close to 1:1, but if the LH is higher, it is a possible indication of PCOS.

A level of testosterone above 50 is a possible indication of PCOS

CautionDuring the first trimester avoid all medications.Some medicines, herbs, essential oils etc. are not safe for pregnant women or should be monitored carefully to avoid potential side effects ~ some of these include acetaminophen (tylenol, dantril), ampicillin (omnipen, polycillin), antacids (alka-seltzer, di-gel, gelusil, maalox, pepto-bismol, rolands, tums) antihistamines, asprin, cold pills, cough remedies, decongestants, estrogens, etretinate (tegison), isotretinoin (accutane), shark cartilage, and

some Herbs you will need to be cautious about~ angelica, arbor vitae, barberry, basil oil, bitter orange, black cohosh, blue cohosh, cats claw, cayenne, celery seed, chamomile oil, cinnamon, comfrey, cowslip, dang gui, elderbark, fennel, fenugreek, feverview, ginseng, goldenseal, greater celandine, green tea, juniper, lady’s mantle, lavender, licorice, marjoram mistletoe, motherwort, mugwort, myrrh, nutmeg, parsley, passionflower, pennyroyal, pokeroot, rhubarb root, rue, sage, senna, shepherds purse, southernwood, tansey, thyme, vervain, wild yam, wood betony, wormwood and yarrow.

Seek the advice of your health care practitioner before taking any preparation if you suspect that you could be pregnant

The information contained herein is meant to be used to educate the reader and is in no way intended to provide individual medical advice. Medical advice must only be obtained from a qualified health practitioner.

Ani Rose & Aerilyn's Mama R0xyg4l's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thank you, a very informative article!

Kristina (28), Dustin (29), Ani Rose (7) & Aerilyn Gael
    Two angel babies:
    16wks 10/08 & 9wks 03/09

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Ani Rose born 3/21/03. The best big sis ever!

Thanks

Jen, could you please post a link or at least a citation to where you got your information? That would be extremely helpful in evaluating the quality of the information.

And note, that the article says Clomid is the only medical treatment available in noon-alternative treatment for PCOS. That is simply not the case. There are other effective treatments available to CONTROL and MITIGATE PCOS, but it is a condition that is controlled, not cured.

The article has tons of good information about ways to help control the syndrome, and especially ways that can help our overall sense of health and well-being. But it has some deficiencies too. Notice the recommendation for light exercised. There is a lot of evidence that PCOS responds best to vigorous sustained exercise, aerobic and weight bearing and strength training.

"Acupuncture and herbs are the best combined treatment for this condition (PCOS) and one can overcome this problem within a few short months, with ovaries returning back to normal size and function and hormonal balance and normal cycles restored."

This statement needs scientific backup. Can the authors of your piece point to research that supports this position?
    "I knew I had a problem when I put my underpants on backwards and they fit better..."
    Age 46
    Obesity, very mild hirsuitism now almost gone with age and met, seriously thinning hair. Regular cycles on met.
    Diagnosed with diabetes 8/2003

Thanks

Default Acupuncture and Herbs work!!!

Hi all, I'm new to this group, but have been reading your posts for some time, and FINALLY HAD TIME TO REGISTER...AHHHH!
    Anyway, I can tell you that acupuncture and clinical (stress this!) herbal formulary works far and away better than ANYTHING WESTERN MEDICINE HAS TO OFFER
    Last edited by dr Annie; 08-05-2006 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks

uh oh...pressed before I was finished...anyway

( hormones and surgery). I have been giving women treatments for PCOS, some due to Cushings, etc. for 10 years now, and I have yet to find even one person that hasn't had a reduction in size. If we had a quarter for every hysterectomy we've prevented I'd be quite comfortable. Needless to say...the surgeons dont't like us and poopoo our patients' happiness (spontaneous remission is the most heard of reasoning behind the fibroids not found by ultrasound!), but who cares! I love my gals and will do anything to prevent their being sliced up.
    I'd be happy to provide studies...or look up studies yourself on the LANCET or just type in "Treating Fibroids with Chinese medicine" or "Treating PCOS with chinese medicine" on Google and you'll find all the studies you needto back up the article's claims! Hope this helps you wonderfull women suffering with this horrendous diagnosis...there is hope!!! Blessings!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dr Annie
    Anyway, I can tell you that acupuncture and clinical (stress this!) herbal formulary works far and away better than ANYTHING WESTERN MEDICINE HAS TO OFFER
    Please post links to studies supporting your claim that 'acupuncture and CHF work better.' I'm not doubting that the therapies can be effective in treating pcos, but I've yet to see anything that says they're BETTER.

As for the article. Absolutely no verbiage in the article suggests a CURE for PCOS. The author couldn't even identify a cause...

Cause: PCOS is caused by an abnormality in the pituitary or hypothalamus glands or an imbalance between the adrenal and ovarian hormones...
    While the article listed information that may or may not be beneficial for women with PCOS - it certainly didn't offer a 'cure'.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr Annie
    I have been giving women treatments for PCOS, some due to Cushings, etc. for 10 years now...

and I have yet to find even one person that hasn't had a reduction in size...

If we had a quarter for every hysterectomy we've prevented I'd be quite comfortable...

or just type in "Treating Fibroids with Chinese medicine" or "Treating PCOS with chinese medicine" on Google and you'll find all the studies you needto back up the article's claims!
    PCOS is not "due to Cushings disease."

Reduction in size of what?

Who out there is saying hysterectomy is a cure or even a reasonable treatment for PCOS?

And who in this discussion raised the issue of fibroids?

If you think for one minute simply typing in a search string on a set of terms into Google will always get you TRUE, reliable, authoritative, scientific, clinically based, non-biased, non profit-oriented, trustworthy information, you are absolutely a babe in disinformation land. Anyone can publish anything they want on the Web, and a rather huge percentage of medical information found by "googling" is a fraud to say the least. Looking for medical information by googling is fraught with peril, and requires that a person use a lot of critical thinking skills and have a substantial education. Thank God I have them and this is what I do for a living.

If there article has reputable information, it will include and cite its own evidence for what it claims. Shouldn't have to go looking for the evidence elsewhere. That's not science. Valid research doesn't work like that.

There is no overwhelming body of evidence that acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine cure PCOS. Do you honestly believe that is that were actually the truth, that Western doctors would ignore such overwhelming evidence? Doctors certainly DO want to help their patients and if a cure were that easy, they would be very grateful to offer it to patients. Many western practitioners DO use and recommend accupuncture in their practices and DO see the validity of alternate systems of care. If they observed that the combination of accupuncture and herbs offered a "cure" they would be investigating it rigorously.

Acupuncture and Chinese herbs have something to offer some PCOS patients and a probably very much worth trying as part of a effort to control this syndrome.

However, it is also the case that Western medicine has an extremely large, scientifically proven track record of effective treatments for PCOS. It doesn't claim to cure the syndrome, but it offers very effective means of control.
    "I knew I had a problem when I put my underpants on backwards and they fit better..."
    Age 46
    Obesity, very mild hirsuitism now almost gone with age and met, seriously thinning hair. Regular cycles on met.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KatCarney

While the article listed information that may or may not be beneficial for women with PCOS - it certainly didn't offer a 'cure'.
    I think she may have been referring to the title of the thread - which said there was a cure.
    Child Free Cyster.

Create the highest, grandest vision for your life, because you become what you believe! - Oprah Winfrey

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - A Friendly, Open Board for ALL Cysters.

Member since Aug. 2003 Miss-Meme's Avatar
    Thanks

You can overcome PCOS but you can not CURE it.
    Amy (37) SAHM &
    Husband (41)
    Son (6 year)

Married May 1995
    DX Feb 1996

Finding Hidden Content 4 you!

Find out how Hidden Content !

Jencyster

Exclamation As I stated....take what you can from the article....

I posted it because there were alot of good ideas in there to help someone who is newly diagnosed and to offer some sort of guidance. Not everything is to be taken as is, take what you can from articles. I am sorry, but I do not and will not change my view that western medicine has a place in treating PCOS. You have your views and I have mine and no one can take that away from me.

PCOS is "complicated" to say the least, but given the right examination, the right amount of exercise, the right meds, things can turn around for women and they don't have to feel as if they are carrying the world on their shoulders. This is not a disease....this is caused by other varying factors, one of them specificaly are xenohormones. What are those you say ? Xenohormones are substances (pollutants) originating outside the body that have hormone-like and estrogen-like activities. Exposure to these substances can have a profound impact on your natural hormonal balance.

I suggest you read more on this....and you'll discover that all the chemicals that we put in our bodies are only hurting us more....covering up the problems....not helping.
    Say and do as you want.......I owe it to women suffering with PCOS to give them the truth on what I know....I will be helping myself and others. You are responsible for your own life, you can't depend on any doctor, or herbalist to save your life. If you feel strongly towards taking Clomid or Metformin.....like I said, if they work for you, then that's awesome, but I have my beliefs and you have yours.

This Person is a Troll - Report any activity Zinzara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jencyster
    This is not a disease....
    Honey, if you don't believe this is a DISEASE.. then you're on the wrong website.

ETA: From the National Institute of Health Human Genome Research Institute, a succinct definition of Syndrome (as in Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome):

The group or recognizable pattern of symptoms or abnormalities that indicate a particular trait or disease
    Last edited by Zinzara; 08-06-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Spanglish cyster AudaciousFurball's Avatar
    Thanks

An informative article as in how to lessen the effects that PCOS has on the body naturally, BUT, and I agree with Kat. In no shape or form does it say that it's a cure.
    PCOS is not a disease, it's a syndrome, and a syndrome is generally with you for life, whether it be PCOS or Downs. We have to learn to live with it, and we have to learn how to control it, so that the syndrome does not take precedence over our everyday life.

Thanks for the article though, there are some useful tips in there.

Hugs,
    Dannie.
    Danielle (28)
    DX: Hypothyroidism - May 05/ PCOS & IR Oct 05
    Meds: 1x850mg Metformin + 1x75mg Levotiroxin + Diane 35

"If you can keep your head, when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation"

Thanks

I posted it because there were alot of good ideas in there to help someone who is newly diagnosed and to offer some sort of guidance.

Xenohormones are substances (pollutants) originating outside the body that have hormone-like and estrogen-like activities. Exposure to these substances can have a profound impact on your natural hormonal
    [FONT=Arial]I suggest you read more on this....and you'll discover that all the chemicals that we put in our bodies are only hurting us more....covering up the problems....not helping.
    Yes, I took from the article some good ideas, and there IS some useful stuff in there.

The point about the effect of a lot of substances on our bodies is VERY well taken. It's a legitimate concern and we all need to get active learning about what's in our food and how it effects the way our bodies work. On the other hand, there is evidence the PCOS has existed for a long time, longer than before the adulterations that take place in our contemporary diets, and our "chemically enhanced" environment. And I had the disease when I was seven years old, long before I used the birth control pill or was exposed to a lot of junky food.

Jen, can I please repeat my request that you post the SOURCE of the information? Surely you got it from somewhere and it helps me with evaluating information to have a citation to the authors, date, etc. Otherwise I simply assume that YOU are the author of the information.

If that's the case and you ARE the author of the information, can you please give us the backup research studies you've done to support your points?

BTW, posting information on the 'Net that you've copied and pasted from elsewhere is copyright violation. Please let us know where the info comes from.
    Age 46

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I do not and will not change my view that western medicine has a place in treating PCOS.
    I think you meant "Eastern"...and no one is arguing with that.

BTW, for those who are interested, I found the source:
    http://www.smartstork.com/page6.asp

Thanks

thanks for the source kat...