Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yaz vs. Yasmin

Thanks

Talking Yaz vs. Yasmin

Is lower estrogen the only difference between Yaz and Yasmin? Would it be just as effective with balancing hormones as Yasmin? (Specifically unwanted hair growth and acne) Has anyone switched from Yasmin to Yaz?

Air Rescue Cyster PeacefulAngel's Avatar
    Thanks

I did and I hate it.

I've been bleeding now for over 4 weeks. This is the 2nd time in the last 4 months I've bleed this long. I put myself back on Yasmin because I couldn't handle the Yaz anymore and I've bled right on through the pack.

HOWEVER...now that I've been a cloud of doom...lol

Some Cysters on here have wonderful results with it. Less cramps and less facial hair and such.

Good luck hon!
    Julie (33) & Christopher (33) Hidden Content
    Happy to be - just my hubby & me! Hidden Content
    Our fur babies: Dino (10, doberman/lab) & Spot (7, Jack Russell)

Hidden Content

Looking for a place to share your story and make new friends? Join us...Hidden Content (check out our new home!)Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm on my 3rd month of Yaz, and I've been on Yasmin in the past. Went off of Yasmin due to migraines. I am loving Yaz -- no headaches and the same benefits from Yasmin :-)

Dx Major Depression, Sleep Apnea
    Officially Dx PCOS 8/2006
    Current meds: Lithium ER, Nardil, Yaz

Hidden Content

Thanks

DD is starting the 3rd month of YAz. She is noticing less hair falling out and has started changing shape. She also added 500mg 1xdaily of metformin 3 weeks ago. The hair on her face has started to fade and diminish and her skin is clearer. I have noticed less hair on the bathroom floor and on the furniture. She is 17, and the Yaz has given her relief from the horrible, irratic and unpredictable AF. Her period is lighter and shorter. She seems a bit more mellow as well. Hope you have good results!

expecting FUR baby meow! guineapig's Avatar
    Thanks

YAZ has 24 days of "real" pills as opposed to Yasmin/traditional 21 days of active pills. Supposed to make AF shorter, lighter. IMO the lower estrogen would help/reduce acne, bloating, weight, moodiness, headaches more so than higher estrogen. *probably* hairloss too--there's a link between higher/excess estrogen & hair loss (see sig for studies).

Some women do have breakthrough bleeding on lower estrogen pills, though. Try it out & see!

Both have the same progestin & same amount: 3 mg drespirenone
    My PCOS is acting up today....
    • allergy therapy x 7 years
    • finally had the Pillar procedure for the sleep apnea
    • 2 wonderful littl'ns thanks to d-chiro-inositol

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Thanks

Default I Love It!!!

Allow me to chime in here about Yaz...

Yeah, I'm having some bleeding issues (I've been spotting on and off since my period "ended"). BUT, the hair growth on my face has slowed down SIGNIFICANTLY!!!

Another issue...I'M LOSING WEIGHT!!!! I've been on metformin for a while and it wasn't doing much. Now, I'm losing weight. I've lost 13 pounds since I've gone on Yaz a month and a half ago. Considering that my thyroid is all screwed up and not getting treated properly, the weight loss is a MIRACLE!

I'm staying on it and hopefully my cycle will straighten out. I can live with the side effects for now.
    Stacie
    Hidden Content I've been blessed with 4 children. Each one has his/her own special issue. Hidden Content

Thanks

hi, i came here because i am interested in switching from yasmin to yaz..
    what is this about hair loss? is it a side effect of yaz? i am happy with yasmin-- i don't have any side effects, i'm just interested in shorter periods.
    i thought that since i had good luck with yasmin then switching to yaz wouldnt really be much of a difference besides shorter periods. anyone have any advice?

Thanks

I'm bumping this thread up. I'm also considering switching to Yaz. I'd like to hear more stories about your experiences with it.

Thanks

For those of you on Yaz, did you stay on Metformin at the same time (if you had been taking it before)?

I am thinking of stopping Met and starting Yaz as a primary way to manage the PCOS.

I split my time between Houston, TX and Union, NJ
    Thanks

I started Yaz a little over a month ago and so far so good. My gyno said it was the best one on the market for PCOS. So far so good...

Thanks

Hi artist,

I am not sure about Yaz and Metformin together, but my former endocrinologist put me on Yasmin and Metformin at the same time, and the results WERE NOT PRETTY. I had the symptoms of lactic acitosis within two days of starting both. Birth control can cause weight gain in some women, and metformin should help women LOSE weight, so sometimes the results can counteract each other.

I had the same conflict in deciding wether birth control or metformin should be my primary treatments as well, but eventually my new endocrinologist recommended metformin with a healthy diet and exercise. In the begining, metformin might stop periods for a little while, but eventually, periods might come by themselves, and if not, provera or another time of progesterone taken once a month for a period of a few days can give you a period, with the advantages of metformin. If birth control is the only medication, it depends on how an individual will react to it (my reaction was HORRIBLE to Yasmin, when I took it by itself for a year, and it did not help me as much as metformin did alone).

To be safe, I would double check with my doctor, but I hope this helps! Good luck!!!

Thanks

Hi artist,

I am not sure about Yaz and Metformin together, but my former endocrinologist put me on Yasmin and Metformin at the same time, and the results WERE NOT PRETTY. I had the symptoms of lactic acitosis within two days of starting both. Birth control can cause weight gain in some women, and metformin should help women LOSE weight, so sometimes the results can counteract each other.

I had the same conflict in deciding wether birth control or metformin should be my primary treatments as well, but eventually my new endocrinologist recommended metformin with a healthy diet and exercise. In the begining, metformin might stop periods for a little while, but eventually, periods might come by themselves, and if not, provera or another time of progesterone taken once a month for a period of a few days can give you a period, with the advantages of metformin. If birth control is the only medication, it depends on how an individual will react to it (my reaction was HORRIBLE to Yasmin, when I took it by itself for a year, and it did not help me as much as metformin did alone).

To be safe, I would double check with my doctor, but I hope this helps! Good luck!!!

Thanks

I was switched from Yasmin to Yaz this past month. I stil haven't completely adapted to it (having prolonged bleeding), but that was the same when I started taking Yasmin. I don't feel any differences. The only reason they changed it for me is the Yasmin seemed to have made my blood pressure a little high, but with the Yaz it's in the normal range.

Thanks

I recently switche from Yasmin to Yaz. I was on Yasmin for 7 months. I didn't mind it that much. I loved the fact that it cleared up my acne. I was having so many problems with it and it was actually because of my acne that I found out I had PCOS. Anyway yasmin really helped with that now I just have some scaring. Yasmin also made me gain some weight though only about 3-5lbs. It made my breast bigger also which might explain the weight gain. And it made me more emotional, I would cry over anything. And I had some mood swings.

So when I went home for Dec I told my gyno about the weight gain and she was like well it shouldnt have caused that blah blah so decided to have me try Yaz. Im just as emotional with Yaz I still cry over anything and ive been becoming more depressed and I have anxiety which I forgot to mention Yasmin gave me awful anxiety. I have lost the weight but my breast I think have stayed the same size. My skin is breaking out more now and Ive had break through bleeding but it is only my first month on Yaz. The derpession is getting pretty bad thoughbut I dont want to stop taking it because I dont want my skin to break out again like it did before BC.

Thanks

Since switching to Yaz (and also implementing Evening Primrose supplements) I actually lost 10 pounds, am not constantly insatiably hungry, don't get hot flashes anymore, and no irregular/absent bleeding. So far I am happy! Also to mention, I feel like my hair is thicker again finally.
    Hidden Content Me - 32, DH - 33 Hidden Content
    2 furbabies

PCOS, Hypothyroid, Insulin Resistance