Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yaz vs. Yasmin

Thanks

Default Yasmin --> Yaz, hopefully I can stop loosing my hair

After reading your postings, I had a couple realizations. First off, I've been on Yasmin for about 4 years. Strands of my hair falling out + breakage occurs all the time. Thank goodness I have a lot of hair otherwise I woudl probably be bald. I'm considering switching to Yaz. It sounds like some of you had issue with loosing hair and headaches while on Yasmin. For those of you who have switched to Yaz, would you say the overall experience is positive, less headaches, less hair falling out? You have no idea how many doctors I expressed my concerns to about my hair. All of them gave me the same answer "women with long hair shed hundreds of hairs a day." Not one asked me what birth control I was on. Not until I read this did I put two and two together. Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Thanks

Totally worried now! I've been on Yaz for a year, and my prescription just ran out---I got a refill for one month from my new GYN (who I'm seeing tomorrow for the first time), and when I went to pick it up yesterday, they charged me $80!! For one month's supply! When, for the last 8 months (that's when I switched to this same insurance) I've been getting 2 months worth for $25. Pharmacist said he didn't know why the price was different, but that's what it said, so I had to pay it. EEK. He's going to call me back today and let me know what his manager said??

So I guess today/tomorrow, I'll find out if I won't be able to continue on with Yaz---I don't want to go to Yasmin! Yaz is working perfectly, I don't see any reason to mess with a good thing.....but I couldn't afford $80 a month. My old doc told me that Yaz was better for me, since I've got enough estrogen already, the lower estradiol would be a good thing for me. What if my new doc doesn't agree? I'm having trouble finding any research to support Yaz over Yasmin for PCOS. Do you ladies have any suggestions?
    Last edited by novachick; 09-17-2008 at 01:22 PM.
    Kt (27!)
    dx: PCOS - July 2007, IR/Pre-diabetic - September 2007, IBS/Hiatal Hernia - June 2008, GERD/Barrett's Esophagus - July 2008
    Currently on: Yaz, Met 2x1000mg/day, Activia yogurt+Prilosec OTC 1x/day
    Not TTC, no DH, just me! Hidden Content
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Of course the game is rigged. Don't let that stop you--if you don't play, you can't win.
    Hidden Content

Registered User kalistasmommy26's Avatar
    Thanks

Default i've been on yasmine

i'm currntly takin yasmine and the dr told me i would hardley get any cramps. which i have lol. but i am stopping because last cycle i had a period and this cycle it seems that i stopped my mensus again im just confused lol. the reason im on yasmine isn't because i dont wanna concieve its cause i want a cycle and it's the only way for me to get on lol. But now that isnt even workin.

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by cachegirl View Post
    After reading your postings, I had a couple realizations. First off, I've been on Yasmin for about 4 years. Strands of my hair falling out + breakage occurs all the time. Thank goodness I have a lot of hair otherwise I woudl probably be bald. I'm considering switching to Yaz. It sounds like some of you had issue with loosing hair and headaches while on Yasmin. For those of you who have switched to Yaz, would you say the overall experience is positive, less headaches, less hair falling out? You have no idea how many doctors I expressed my concerns to about my hair. All of them gave me the same answer "women with long hair shed hundreds of hairs a day." Not one asked me what birth control I was on. Not until I read this did I put two and two together. Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
    I've been on YAZ for 4 months now and for me it was not a good experience.... I was on Diane 35 for 3 years and 2 weeks after taking yaz for the first time my hair started to fall, a loooot! Almost cry one day washing it, I thought I'd go bald!! I've read a lot about it and they say the progestin in yaz in less androgenic, thus causing your hair to fall. But off course, this is my case... many women take it and this doesn't happen to them... as far as I know yaz and yasmin have the same composition, only yasmin has a bit more estrogen than yaz... other than that, i lost some weight, got lighter periods.... mood swings got a little better.... I did have some headaches the last month one day before getting my period.... but anyway, nothing of these good things are worth loosing my hair, so I'm switching to tri sprintec next month.... let's see what happens.... good luck to you!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AngelaCM View Post
    Since switching to Yaz (and also implementing Evening Primrose supplements) I actually lost 10 pounds, am not constantly insatiably hungry, don't get hot flashes anymore, and no irregular/absent bleeding. So far I am happy! Also to mention, I feel like my hair is thicker again finally.
    How much are you taking a day in evening primrose supplements?

Thanks for your help.

L.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was on Yasmin for 2 years and about 4 or 5 months ago my doctor switched me to Yaz. I'm not sure why...but really I haven't noticed much of a difference...except that my period is shorter on Yaz than it was on Yasmin.
    ~*Kim*~

Diagnosed with PCOS - September 2006
    Meds - Yaz & Metformin 1000mg
    Diet - Lower sugar. Balanced meals throughout the day.

Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Unhappy Best choice? Yaz or Yasmin?

Well, I have been able to conclude that these two different brands respond to each woman differently. It might help in some areas, and make some other symptoms worse. But I would love to get feed back from girls that are focused in treating specifically these 3 most annoying sympotoms:

With PCOS, I happen so suffer EVERY symptom (except Acne), internally and externally. The abdominal pain might not be only for cramping, but because according to my last ultrasound exam, apparently I might suffer from a Bicorneous Uterus, which basically means I ahve a double Uterus. My doctor told me I have to get a CT Scan next to comfirm if thats the situation, but that is a different subject and and has little if nothing at all to do with the PCOS condition.

Anyhow, what I'm worried about the most now is (in this order), the unwanted and exseesive hair growth, (which is turning into an official beard and its depressing me), the gain weight (i'm 30 lbs. over weight), and the scalp hair loss (lost over 50% of my hair aready and its very thin). I'm 21 years old, and for a woman my age this can be very depressing and the low self esteem and selfconciousness is taking the lead by now.

I have not started with the BCP's but I will start soon, and my question is: On theses specific symptoms, which one you consider it has had best results, Yaz or Yasmin?

I know that higher estrogen levels reduce the unwanted hair more and helps with the hair loss problem, but also, in most cases the side effect might be weight gain, as opposed to lower estrogen levels in a BCP. So I'm not sure which one could be the best option to treat the 3 symptoms. Maybe I would need to be on Metformin too, but I'm not sure how taking both the BCP and the Met at the same time affect my body and symptoms. Could be worst or could be better. Any feedback on this, please? Thank you so much!!!

Thanks

Did you guys experience less nausea with Yaz than with Yasmin?
    (I only lasted 4 weeks on Yasmin b/c I felt so nauseous all the time, even when taking before bed or with dinner.)
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
    A light from the shadows shall spring;
    Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
    The crownless again shall be king
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Thanks

Thanks for sharing.. I had so much problems figuring out the difference between the two. I am on Yaz and have been on it since the end of October and it's now mid December and still haven't gotten AF yet..but im not complaining.. My skin is so clear and beautiful that if that's the only benefit..I haven't really had any problems so far- no more migraines, not much bloating.. im happy with Yaz so far... but i might right back when AF comes

Thanks

the last years i wasnt on any BCP.
    I went last week to my gyno and he gave me yaz. Yaz is brandnew in europe (came out a few months ago).
    He told me it is one of the best pills for pco, acne, hairloss, excessive body...and he said that the doctors in the U.S has great success with their patients.

So far so good.
    Last night (9 pm) i took my first pill, im praying and i will let you know after my first package get empty how i feel and if any change i have (he told me it will take me 3 months to see results)

Thanks

im on my third day of yaz.
    i really dont know if its just the weather (is very cold overhere in switzerland) or if its yaz.
    i have terrible headache since sunday and my energy which was ok went away. i feel like i could sleep all the time.
    i called my gyno and the lady on the phone said, its almost impossible that these symptons are from yaz. I must take it one month for def. to see if i still have headache.

by the way, non of my female family members has pcos, but my mum told me, that non of them could ever handle the birthcontrollpill (diane, ginera,etc...my mum, my aunt, my grandma etc...) is it possible that this is genetic and i cant also handle it?

i will let you ladies know how it goes.

Thanks

i had to stop to take yaz.
    my headache was so bad, i couldnt handle it anymore.
    My hairloss is already bad, but it seems like I was loosing almost all my hair which are left with yaz.
    Unfortunatly once more a BCP wasnt for me.
    My last one Im going to try is belara. (tried already, diane35 with androcur, yasmin, yasminelle and now yaz)

Thanks

Exclamation

Hey girls.
    I just thought i would let you know a little about yaz. i recently came off of it after almost a year.. and 40 extra pounds later. it made me gain a ridiculous amount of weight. just heed the doctors warning of diet and excercise while your on the pill. i never ate that bad while i was on it, now that im off im doing diet and excercise everyday.. and the weight can not seem to come off.
    i am now thinking of trying yasmin. a good friend of mine is a model, and she can not gain any weight. she has been on the pill for 3 years now, and hasnt gained a pound. does anyone have anything bad about yasmin?
    i would def like to know before i try again.. thanks.

Thanks

I will be switching to yaz next month. I have been on yasmin for a few years now and had no issues until I went back on after having DD. I have TERRIBLE headaches during AF, so much so that I've been taking Yasmin back to back for a few months now to avoid the headaches. My doc suggested I try Yaz to see if the headaches stop when my period starts so we'll see what happens. A little weight loss would be nice too!
    me 34 DH 39 Metformin 1500mg, Nifedipine, Vitamin D, prenatal
    My big girl Sarah born 4/28/07!
    My little girl Alana born 7/27/11!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Rosemarys_Babee rosemarys_babee's Avatar
    Thanks

Some of you who are currently/suddenly having problems with Yasmin may want to check and see if you are getting the new generic for it. I was on Yasmin for 8 years, up until 7 months ago, when I went off of it. I was having periods normally but this month so far nothing and it usually happens no later than the 20th. If nothing happens by the ends of the month, I'm back on BCP's. Plus, I am trying to get gastric banding and they want all women who have "the equipment installed" to be on BCP's for the first year after surgery. I was thinking of moving to Yaz as I just don't like generic horomones and mood meds. So, I'm glad this thread was bumped up. Yasmin never really did anything for me(never really hurt me either) but I did have to have two weeks of placebo pills in order to have a period, so I am hoping the lower estrogen in Yaz will trigger a period faster and I can take them like normal.
    Megan (31) and Harley (Dog)
    Gastric Banding 05/28/09
    Weight- Highest: 383lbs/Surgery: 337lbs/Current: 272lbs
    **Converted to Menstrual Cup and NEVER going back**
    Synthroid .137mg
    Tandem Plus
    Lovaza
    Citracal
    As needed: Ativan, Baclofen, Tramadol & Imitrex