Thanks

Default Black Cohosh or Estroven?

I have a question. I recently read in my PCOS & Fertility book about taking Black Cohosh to help regulate menstrual cycles. It also says that soy is good, especially when trying to conceive. I noticed today at Wal-Mart that they had the Black Cohosh, which I started to get, then I noticed Estroven, which is Black Cohosh, Soy and some vitamins like B-12, E, C & Folic Acid mixed in. I know it says its for pre-menoposal women and also says its a dietary supplement, so I wasn't sure what to do. I take a pre-natal vitamin already, so I also want to be sure and not take too much of the same vitamins. It says it is safe to take with other estrogen related drugs and also with other herbal supplements. I struggled to make a decision, and finally just put them both back. I just don't know where to start. I have also thought about trying Fertility Blend, which I have heard helps to regulate cycles. I live in a very small town, and don't know of any herbalists anywhere close to here. I have my yearly appt. with my OBGYN in Sept. and thought about asking her what she thought, but she doesn't seem very informed about the herbal side of things. Anyone know which would be the best to try? Or has anyone had any success with these supplements? I have tried all the other things like Metformin & Avandia, and neither of these worked after 3 years, so I'm just drawing straws here in order to try something that I can afford at the moment. I figure it doesn't hurt to try something new. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have read the thread about all the different kinds of supplements, but it's still all greek to me. I just want to try to start off with something pretty simple, then go from there.
    ME 35, DH 45
    Thin Cyster, Annovulation
    Clomid - No O - Femara 5mg. - No O
    HSG/Clear - DH SA - low morphology/average motility
    Metformin/1500mg.
    2x/Follistim/IUI - BFN
    Femara 10mg cd 3-7 (TI), baby asprin - BFP 4/30/10 after 7 years TTC Hidden Content
    Jaxx born 1/11/11 - weighing 8 lbs., 3.7 ozs, 20 in. long
    BFP 12/24/12 - Metformin 500mg., Femara 5mg., baby asprin - TI
    Liam born 9/3/13 - weighing 9 lbs., 1 oz., 20.5 in. long

Registered User butterflydreams's Avatar
    Thanks

I have no advice for you, but I have been researching everything that I possibly can to present and discuss with my Dr when I go in for my appointment. I just wanted to wish you luck.
    Shauna
    Married to my Wonderful DH
    Mommy X 1 to a Beautiful daughter
    Hidden Content

Thanks

They don't sell high quality supplements at WalMart.

No matter what you decide to take, if it isn't high quality, it won't do you much good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mallory
    They don't sell high quality supplements at WalMart.

No matter what you decide to take, if it isn't high quality, it won't do you much good.
    Ditto that. Go to a health food store or an herb shop. Then you can ask someone questions who will know about the different products. And I wouldn't worry about taking too many vitamins - there are very few that you need to worry about od'ing, and if you did od a vitamin, you would know pretty quickly, and most of the time could stop taking them quickly enough that no damage would be done. I know vitamins B and C for sure are water soluable, so you will never od them, but talk to an herbalist, that way you will know for sure. I'm pretty sure E and D, too. Need to take less A and K, but you should only need as much as is probably in your multivitamin, and those usually aren't in other supplements anyway.
    Hidden Content For YOU!

Hidden Content - feel good, use NSP!

Thanks

Thanks a lot for your advice. The closest herablist to me is about 7 hours away. GNC is about the only health food store around, and it is about an hour and a half away also. I'm actually thinking about ordering Vitex and trying it. Any advice on this?
    ME 35, DH 45
    Metformin/1500mg.
    2x/Follistim/IUI - BFN
    Femara 10mg cd 3-7 (TI), baby asprin - BFP 4/30/10 after 7 years TTC Hidden Content

This Person is a Troll - Report any activity bonnieboo's Avatar
    Thanks

Estroven gave me every symptom of estrogen dominance in the book! It made me so tired I could barely function. For me, it was the exact wrong supplement. But we're all so different...

Thanks

Vitamin E is fat soluble, I believe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gracie381
    Thanks a lot for your advice. The closest herablist to me is about 7 hours away. GNC is about the only health food store around, and it is about an hour and a half away also. I'm actually thinking about ordering Vitex and trying it. Any advice on this?
    You can order high quality herbal supplements (including Vitex) online, definitely.

This is a good place: http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/su...nts-store.html

That site has a ton of valuable PCOS information in general; look around!

www.naturessunshine.com is also good.

I think that once I run out of the Vitex that I ordered from the first place I linked to, I'll order the Vitex/Wild Yam blend from Nature's Sunshine (the second link).

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Actually that first link you posted was the one I've been looking on. After my yearly appt. on Sept. 13, I plan on ordering some. Thanks again everyone. Any other advice you'd like to share is always appreciated.
    ME 35, DH 45
    Metformin/1500mg.
    2x/Follistim/IUI - BFN

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gracie381
    Well, just because you don't have one closer, I am an herbalist (and my mom is, and my grandfather was), so I will give you information I have. Vitex is known to stimulate and regulate the pituitary. If you have a slow pituitary, this would probably be good for you. Just remember that not everything works for everyone, but if you know that your pituitary is your problem, Vitex is a good place to start. If you don't get the results you are hoping for, other things can be used in addition to Vitex, or instead of. Many times herbs are used in combination, because the whole adds up to greater that the sum of all the individual parts. Others you might consider are False Unicorn, Black Cohosh, Blessed Thistle, Dong Quai, Damiana, Evening Primrose Oil, and a few others.

Some are avaiable in combinations, so you don't have to take so many different pills. Here are a few that are available: http://www.mynsp.com/naherbs/product...?stockNum=1230
    http://www.mynsp.com/naherbs/product...x?stockNum=882
    http://www.mynsp.com/naherbs/product...x?stockNum=878
    http://www.mynsp.com/naherbs/product...?stockNum=1125

There are others that are available, too, but those are some you might consider. If you want to know about any other products, let me know and I'll tell you what I know.

Hope that helped, and good luck with whatever you try!
    Hidden Content For YOU!

Hidden Content - feel good, use NSP!