Thanks

Default natural antiandrogens

Im looking for natural antiandrogens that wont interfere with the birth control pill's effectiveness.Does anybody know of any?I would like to try saw palmetto but i spoke to a man who is an herbal pharmacist that told me to stay away from it while im on the birth control pill because it will interfere with it's effectiveness.And im not looking to get pregnant anytime in the future!
    5'5 weight 155-goal 135.Meds-Aldactone 150mgs.Yasmin,xanax,claritin-d.Currently getting back into weight lifting and attempting to low carb!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Run separate searches in this forum only on:

"green tea"

"pumpkin seeds"

You'll find several articles on the antiandrogen properties of them...

Before trying them, be sure to run the idea past your pharmacist or MD...

kat

Thanks

Thanks Kat! I just started green tea 3 days ago.I'll have to check out pumpkin seeds.
    5'5 weight 155-goal 135.Meds-Aldactone 150mgs.Yasmin,xanax,claritin-d.Currently getting back into weight lifting and attempting to low carb!

Thanks

you may want to look into "ground flax seeds" dosage 2 tbs daily
    I can't remember exactly where I saw it, but Kat Carney had posted an article or research on this not too long ago.
    hth
    duchess

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thaaaaat's right...I knew there was something else!!! FLAX SEEDS!!!!

Thanks, Duchess!!!

Kat

Thanks

hi,

the messages on this thread is my best ever news for today!

i just started taking flaxseed capsules yesterday (is 1000mg a day enough?) and now i just learnt from here that green tea helps too. well that's a super big bonus because i already love green tea!

i'm glad you asked the question, frenchiebull! this is great news ever. i guess just like me, you decided not to go on synthetic anti androgens anymore (i remember you responded to my post once and shared your flutamide experience with me. thanks for that!)

bandanna

Thanks

Thank you so much everybody for replying.It is so frustrating to try different medications and not be able to tolerate the side effects.I'm in the same boat as you Bandanna! It is comforting to know that i am not alone in this frustration.I have a question about the flax seed.Is it the same as the flax seed oil?What kind am i supposed to buy and how much should i take to get the antiandrogenic effects?Thanks again!

Thanks

Dear Frenchiebull,
    I have tried to do a search on the boards for the original
    article I saw about ground flax seeds as antiandrogen, and
    can't seem to find it....but I do recall that the dosage was
    2tbsp. a day. I take mine with breakfast and dinner. As well as being a suppossed antiandrogen, it does have wonderful essential oils in it, and high fiber,( I don't get much dense fiber low carbing), so I figure, why not add it too my regime. Apparently the ground flax seed has more of the properties in it than it does after processing to get the oil. I get mine at GNC, just because it is close. It is about $10 for a 2 month or so supply. It doesn't taste bad. I usually take it as is.....
    I did run across this research article and you all may want to check it out....it mentions a lot of natural alternatives for PCOS.
    It on the RESEARCH board, Posted by our trusted leader, Kat Carney, and is titled, ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE REVIEW POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROME: CLINICAL CONSIDERATIONS
    very informative.....
    HTH
    Duchess

Thanks

hi everybody,

i was reading one of the articles about flaxseed and it says this:

"Flaxseed

Flaxseed is one of the most significant sources of plant lignans, one of the main classes of estrogenic compounds called phytoestrogens,[101] Phytoestrogens represent a family of plant compounds that have been shown to have both estrogenic and antiestrogenic properties. Flaxseed and its isolated lignans have been shown to have numerous chemoprotective effects both in vitro and in vivo. Many of the chemoprotective effects may be mediated through their influence on endogenous sex hormone production, metabolism, and biological activity. Consumption of flaxseed and its isolated lignans have been shown to stimulate SHBG synthesis,[102] as well as reduce mammary tumor growth[103] and formation.[104] Changes in total hormone concentration result in relatively small changes in the size of free hormone fraction, whereas changes in SHBG concentration result in relatively large changes in the amount of free and bound hormones. Both lignans and isoflavones have been reported to stimulate the synthesis of SHBG by Hep G2 liver cancer cells in culture.[105] This is consistent with an observational study of 34 women in whom urinary lignan concentrations significantly and directly correlated with SHBG concentrations and inversely correlated with the proportion and concentration of free estradiol.[106] Although the association between the intake of phytoestrogens, specifically flaxseed, and increases in SHBG concentration is still quite weak, it shows great potential for phytoestrogens as a means of reducing free estrogen concentrations.[105]"

it indicates that it has anti-estrogenic effects and it reduces free estrogen concentrations. if so, how does it help with hirsutism and other androgenic effects as it seems to be reducing the estrogen?

thank you for your replies. i am just concerned that taking flaxseeds may actually not work out for me.

for those of you who are already taking flaxseeds, please share your experience.
    bandanna

Thanks

Here is the link to Kat's original post regarding flaxseed. http://www.soulcysters.net/showthrea...round+flaxseed

I hope this helps....

Thanks

Smile

Hi-
    About 5 or 6 years ago I tried flax seeds. At the time I hadn't been having natural periods for about 2 years. (Before that time I had been on BCP) Anyhoo, taking flax seeds allowed my body to begin menstruating like a normal person's again. After first couple months I thought it was just a fluke, so I didn't take flax seeds, and I didn't get a period. So after that I started taking them daily again, for about a year, and had normal cycles. My cycles have been getting off kilter again, so I'm going to start the flax seed regimen again. They worked for me, and it doesn't cost much either!

Thanks

• Maureen 36, DH is 35
    • Momma to Declan Christopher, born 9/2/03
    • STILL happily and proudly breastfeeding my big boy! Hidden Content
    • Before pregnancy, went from 175 to 136 thanks to Hidden Content , exercise and low glycemic index foods. Polycystic appearing ovaries are gone; ovulated regularly; bloodwork normal.
      Improvement in hirsuitism and androgenic alopecia is greatly improved. AN and cystic acne are gone!
    • Improvements in skin and hair due to Hidden Content , standardized, 160mg 2x day. (no longer on it due to PG and BFing). Hidden Content