Thanks

Default DRSP in Yaz antiandrogen?

I was reading up on this last night since I"m about to start taking it. And was shocked and amazed to read that the drsp is an antiandrogen!

How effective is it? Has anyone stopped/reversed the excess hair and hair loss with this? I'm on met but am balking at adding spiro to my routine. I already feel like a walking pharmacy.

Any thoughts?

expecting FUR baby meow! guineapig's Avatar
    Thanks

I haven't taken Yasmin or YAZ (the lower estrogen version) with the drospirenone, yet, but I was on spironolactone with great results for about 2 years. I stopped shedding head hair but did not regrow, but still a huge change. My acne got better too, and I actually lost a ton of weight--dropped half my size and got down to "skinny." Unfortunately for me, I tried to add met and spiro quit working forever & all my bad side effects came back. But that seems to be a unique experience from what I have heard. (Actually I found out that met makes my DHEAs spike bigtime--no big shock I would begin to shed hair & get fat again).

I'd say, especially if you need birth control anyway, to try it out and see. Studies down with flutamide+metformin+Yasmin showed good results with reducing facial hair, reducing weight, and improving shape and weren't too different from the results with just flutamide+metformin alone (dangerous for the ovulating woman though 'cause flutamide is bigtime birth defects). Although YAZ was not in existance back then, it is basically Yasmin with half the estrogen (even better IMO cause estrogen has its own quirks--see sig) and should produce similar good results with met.

Studies with met+flutamide+other-pills did not have such good results or any good results really. That DRSP is pretty unique, and doesn't seem to worsen IR like the progestin in desogen, Orthos, etc.
    My PCOS is acting up today....
    • allergy therapy x 7 years
    • finally had the Pillar procedure for the sleep apnea
    • 2 wonderful littl'ns thanks to d-chiro-inositol

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Thanks

Yes, I am on it and I noticed that the excess hair isn't as bad as it was before. It is still there though. However, my hair is still falling out in chuncks. I do love this pill though. I am on Yasmin.

Thanks

Default thank you!

Hey guineapig (wow I feel like one too most of the time thanks for that informative message.

I am only on met right now, I was on ortho 28 until about 4 mmonths ago. I decided to try the met alone for a while. But basically I've gained 20 lbs in 4 months, and the hair on my face is coming back (I've had to find an electrologist again) and I am breaking out like a teenager. ABout the only good thing is that my hair has stopped falling because of synthroid I've been taking for about 3 months.

So basically I decided to back on BCP and this time I'm trying YAZ. I'm on depo till next week just to make sure I start with a clean slate. But this drospirenone sounds liike a miracle drug! I hope it works for me. I remember thinking the met would be a miracle too.

Thanks to both of you for your responses.