Thread: Oily Scalp

Thanks

Question Oily Scalp

I'm not sure if this would be the right place to post this or if it would fall better under the acne category. I have been battling with oily scalp and hair for years and years. I cannot go a single day without washing my hair because it looks like a grease pit. Is this a symptom of PCOS? Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to help control the oil?

I currently use NO styling products in my hair. Heaven forbid I should put some in, as it seems to speed up the oily process. I have to wash my hair every day. My hairdresser at first thought my hair was oily because I was washing it too much. But I have tried not washing it on weekends when I wasn't planning on going anywhere and it is disgusting.

HELP!

Thanks

I had this problem until I started Metformin. Now I can skip a day and I don't have an oily scalp. It also helped reduce and almost eliminate my oily facial skin.
    DD 6 years old ~ DS 9 months old

Thanks

I have this problem too. I was born with an oily scalp, my dad had it, my brother has it, in my case I don't think it is PCOS related. Do you use conditioner? I have noticed that if you use it only from say the ears down to the ends, my scalp tends to be less oily. I wash mine everyday too. What kind of shampoo are you using?
    "There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why......I dream of things that never were, and ask why not." -Robert F. Kennedy
    DX 2/2002
    DH Randy married 10yrs

Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm currently using Herbal Essences for Normal to Oily hair for my conditioner and usually for my shampoo. I am debating buying something with tea tree oil in it to see if it will help.

Thanks

Okay, now this may sound crazy but I am using Aussie Moist shampoo and conditioner. I know you would think it would make it worse, but it seems to help. I still have to wash it everyday but it doesn't get extremly oily by the end of the day. I think that the oily hair shampoo strips all of the oil of our scalps and then the scalp makes even more to replenish it. A little oil is good for your hair.

I have also been known to use baby shampoo. It is gentle, but gets your hair clean, and it smells good.

The only styling product that I use in my hair is mousse. I don't have a set brand, right now I am using something from Aussie(can't remember right now what it is). If I use any other product I get oily too.

I feel your pain!!!

Hope this helps!
    "There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why......I dream of things that never were, and ask why not." -Robert F. Kennedy
    DX 2/2002
    DH Randy married 10yrs

Hidden Content

Thanks

I feel your pain! I have had oily hair since I was younger, so I don't think that it is PCOS related. I have pretty much accepted that I have to wash my hair everyday, or wind up looking "icky". My main problem is that I have curly hair, and any hair stylist will tell you that you shouldn't wash curly hair everyday, because it leads to frizz. Almost all shampoos that are made for curly hair are deep moisturzing. I did find that Pantene's curly hair products don't make my hair so greasy feeling. Have you tried a "clarifying" shampoo? Pantene makes a great one, for deep cleansing.
    Tomorrow is another day....

Hidden Content

Thanks

My hair stylist keeps telling me how "healthy" my hair is. If limp, oily and lifeless is healthy - give me fried, lol.

The stupid thing is, my hair is straight and I get fly aways and frizzies right after washing it. It's about perfect around noon and then starts the downward spiral from there.

Thanks

I have had greasy hair since my PCOS symptoms started- I can't believe I never connected the two. I have to wash my hair everyday too and right now I am using Sunsilk and it's okay but I have tried the Pantene Clarifying before and it was wonderful. As soon as my Sunsilk is done I am switching back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chandra
    Okay, now this may sound crazy but I am using Aussie Moist shampoo and conditioner.
    I agree. Use a shampoo that is for dry hair/scalp, not oily. This is (usually) also true about oily skin. What happens is you wash, and your skin thinks "I'm dry, better start making oil" and it OVER produces oil. So if you do things that don't dry it out (which products that are for oily hair or skin do), your skin won't think it needs to make oil and over produce.

I have oily scalp/hair too. One product I notice works great is called "guts" by Redkin. I spray it on my scalp, blow dry using a round metal (ceramic would work too) brush (lift the roots with the brush, and dry them first, then the ends), and that makes my hair fuller and have volume all day. Usually when your hair is oily, it tends to be flat, too. I don't know if that is YOUR problem, but if it is, I think you will do well with guts. I can't use anything else, either! I suggest using Biolage "hydrating" shampoo, by Matrix.

Buy small bottles, that way you will know if they don't work for you!
    Hidden Content For YOU!

Hidden Content - feel good, use NSP!

Thanks

I have pheriosis. So I know about the oiley scalp but I use a Pheriosis shampoo and some people use the same thing for exteme oiley scalp. I forget the name but you can get it in the shampoo section on your local stores. It works great for me, although everyones different. Oh yeah I remember the name its by Noxema and its called Maxium Strength T-gel. If you use it make sure you dont use it every day use it 3 times a week and the other days use a regular shamoo and you will need to condition after badly! It really drys out your hair.