Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maca Root ??

Thanks

Default Maca Root ??

Hi all

I was looking for something natural to help lower the androgens levels and testosterone. I am aware there are several medecines for this purpose, but I also know they are quite dangerous. I am already on MET and trigger shots for ovulation, and this is sufficient medecine so far for me !!

I was reading about the Maca root... can anyone share comments about it, if it helped you, any side effects, where to buy it, etc ??

Thanks, your help will be very appreciated...

Thanks

Maca has a rich supply of many B, C and E vitamins, as well as calcium, magnesium, iodine, iron, phosphorus, potassium and zinc, and since it is a food, your body will use what it needs, and be able to get rid of what it doesn't need. B vitamins in themselves help balance hormones, and therefore would be very good for anyone with pcos (I always recommend supplementing with B vitamins). It can be compared with ginseng because it provides energy and stamina. I know it is very useful for men with low sperm counts and erectile disfunction. There was a study done on women that showed that Maca helped improve the ovaries' response to FSH, and increasing folicles (a good thing!). Because it is so rich in vitamin B, it would help balance all hormones (sex hormones at least), whether they are high or low, B vitamins help keep them balanced.

Saw palmetto is also known to balance male hormones particularly.

There are no known interactions with drugs, and no known side effects (for either Maca or Saw palmetto).
    Here is a link for each of them, a really good brand: http://www.mynsp.com/naherbs/product...?stockNum=1117
    http://www.mynsp.com/naherbs/product...x?stockNum=630
    Hidden Content For YOU!

Hidden Content - feel good, use NSP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DollFin511
    There was a study done on women that showed that Maca helped improve the ovaries' response to FSH, and increasing folicles (a good thing!).

Oooooooh, good to know

Current Therapies:
    Hidden Content
    vitex
    saw palmetto/pygeum/nettle
    omega 3s
    magnesium, zinc, B complex, Vit D
    DIM

"Food is medicine."

Hidden Content

Thanks

Hi Monita

I posted on this subject a few days ago as I have just started taking maca powder. I only take 1 tsp a day which I don't think is enough. I don't like the taste of it so I am switching to capsules 1500mg per day which I'm hoping will be the right dose.

The one thing I have noticed is that I am not sweating as much and my energy has increased slightly. Maca has excellent results for menopause symptoms. I am from the UK and buy mine at www.maca.co.uk.

Would be interested to hear your findings.

Dawn xxx

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DawnW
    The one thing I have noticed is that I am not sweating as much and my energy has increased slightly. Maca has excellent results for menopause symptoms.
    Since you just started taking the herb, you will probably find that you get more results as time goes by. Don't give up - it sometimes takes a couple months to really get noticeable results. I know of one particular herb that took 3 months for about 50% of the women, and even longer for others.

With herbal products, the rule of thumb is how ever many years you have had the problem, it will take that many months (working steady, not giving up, etc) to get significant results. If you are lax or inconsistent, it will take longer. I'm not saying you won't get ANY results, just know that its not a miracle thing, it won't work over night.

Oh, and Dawn, if you were interested, you can get Nature's Sunshine in the UK (they sell many products, not just maca) here: http://www.nspeuroplan.com/
    Hidden Content For YOU!

Hidden Content - feel good, use NSP!

Thanks

Default The "scoop" on Maca

Maca is excellent. The thing to remember though is that Maca is not an herb or drug. It's a food somewhat similar to yucca. Its a tuber. You cannot overdose on it. Many people taking Maca don't take nearly enough so they complain and say it doesnt work. you want to be taking theraputic amounts of this food. That means at least 15 grams a day in powdered form. And that is at the very least. Thats about 4 - 5 heaping teaspoons a day.

Now here is the catch...this stuff task f+*&ng horrible!!!! But I deal with it and continue taking the powder form because its cheaper. I take it with lots of water to dillute the malt flavor. I have better energy and I don't get sleepy during the day anymore.

The other warning is...I hope you guys have a boyfriend or husband around when you start taking Maca. I feel like a monster when I'm taking this stuff (in a good way ). Hope that helps.

[quote=DollFin511;1888130379]Since you just started taking the herb, you will probably find that you get more results as time goes by. Don't give up - it sometimes takes a couple months to really get noticeable results. I know of one particular herb that took 3 months for about 50% of the women, and even longer for others.

With herbal products, the rule of thumb is how ever many years you have had the problem, it will take that many months (working steady, not giving up, etc) to get significant results. If you are lax or inconsistent, it will take longer. I'm not saying you won't get ANY results, just know that its not a miracle thing, it won't work over night.

Oh, and Dawn, if you were interested, you can get Nature's Sunshine in the UK (they sell many products, not just maca) here:

Thanks

Smile Macca Root

Hello Everyone, I'm new here and stumbled across this thread about Macca Root. I've been taking this stuff for about a year and a half off and on, and I've got to say I feel the best when I'm taking Macca.

I take 1 tsp a day. I mix it with Orange juice, it minimizes the taste so much that I don't even flinch when I drink it. The trick is to put the powder in a bottle that has a cap on it ( I use an empty water bottle) and then put as much OJ as you would like and shake it. Let it sit in the fridge for a while so that the powder disolves and then shake it again before consuming it. The reason why I do this is to make sure that it's not clumpy because the clumps are pure powder...YUCK!

I love this stuff, I've had PCO for well basically since I can remember my cycles having started and the only thing that has ever given me relief of my symptoms is this stuff. My Doc started giving me progesterone to induce a flow (3-4 periods a year) and that rarely works, but with Macca I've come as close as I figure I ever will to a regular cycle (32-40 days without drugs).

As far as dosage goes Macca takes some time to take full affect and realistically taking more than you need is a waste of money and Macca. I started with a 2 capsules and then moved to the powder using no more than 1 tsp a day. This is all I need, however everyone is different.

So in conclusion I think every PCO out there should be taking Macca. Although it's not necessary to take more that you need to balance your hormones and make you feel great. So a little at a time until you reach your desired results.

Good luck,

Bella

Thanks

hello ladies well i sstarted taking the maca root pills i take 4 pills a day 2 wth 2 different meals. i read it can help with regulating u bc for the past few months i my af has been coming every 30 days wich is not normall for me my normal is every 2 weeks wich has been normal for a few years i know some ladies will say its not but i have been to doctors and all have said its normal lol anyways this is my 2nd day on it and i have started my af on time!! so i am back to being regulated for now lol so im hoping to see how this goes adn hopefully it will help with my fertility to

Thanks

Hmm...I'm interested in taking this. A few questions:

1. How do you know what the correct dosage for your body should be?
    2. Do you have any side effects? I came across a few threads on other sites where MANY people said that they had vomiting, severe stomach cramping, heart palpitations, severe insomnia, etc. Will us PCOSers not get this because our hormones are at different levels? Or, do you think they were taking it the wrong way? Those symptoms sound scary...
    Me (29) DH (29) ~ TTC #1 since 2/1/08 - BFP, FINALLY!!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Getting the BFP has been a long, long journey! It took losing 30 pounds and a magical concoction of Metformin, Spiro, Prenatals, Clomid and Preseed. We are praying the bean sticks! Hidden Content

Thanks

well i went to a gnc store n the guy ther said it was the best product to take n theysay to take 2 per meal but only take up to 4 pills aday so take it at like lunch n diner maybe.. i have not had any of those reactions yet lol dont think i will...

Thanks

Thar is very funny. I have come across it too and want to take it now. I have ordered it through Amazon (Swansons Maca Root). I will let you know how I get on when I get the parcel and have taken it for maybe 2 weeks.

Thanks

Hello ladies!
    I just wanted to ask, did you find that taking this helped 'control' pcos symptoms. My man concern is excess hair and I want to take something that will balance the hormones and hopefully that should slow the growth down.
    Thanks
    Me ~ 29
    Diagnosed 1999

Mummy to little man born 06/2011

TTC #2 SINCE Sept 2012, taking B complex, Vit C, evening primrose oil, vitamin d, magnesium.

Thanks

NHA i am on spironolacton for my hirsutism i have found it has helped also when keepin my weight down helps as well but thats just me.. so far i have been on the maca root for a few days so havent really noticed anything about the excess hair

Thanks

I have been thinking about trying maca.
    Are the capsule form as beneficial as the powder form?

Also since it regulates AF should I wait til AFTER the wedding and honeymoon. I get married on the 23 then a 4 or 5 day honeymoon. I would hate to have cramps the whole time! LOL. Maybe start it after I get home?

Thanks

I went out to day and bought the powder form of Maca Root (Maca Magic Whole Raw Powder). It says on the contatiner that a serving is 1/2 teaspoon and I asked the guy that owns the Vitamon Depot what was his recommendation... He was unsure so he call the company that sold the product. They said that it was the recommended lowest dose and that most people need more to see results. I have decided to do 1 teaspoon twice a day. That would give me 3 grams of pure maca root powder per serving and a total of 6 grams for the day.
    What do ya'll think?
    Chris(38) & Jenn(27)

Married 4-12-08

Daily Supplement: Metformin 2000mg, prenatal, and Fish Oil with Omega 3

Bailey
    age 2
    Fur Baby

Hidden Content

My December Baby
    BFP: Apr 6
    1 Beta: Apr 7 39
    2 Beta: Apr 8 120+