Thanks

Question are triphasic BCP bad for women w/ pcos?

hi cysters! I am on ortho novum 777 which is a triphasic pill and was wondering if I should switch to the mono phasic version of this pill. I have read that they are not good for women w/ pcos....is that true? and does anyone know why? Thanks ladies!
    ~ Not currently DX but have had symptoms after going off BCP
    ~ In a commited relationship with the love of my life going on 6 years Hidden Content
    ~ Meds/Suppliments: ortho novum 777, mult. vitamin, biotin, zinc, B complex & caster oil packs.

~ 2 fur babies Hidden Content Callie & Blackie Hidden Content

Hidden Content Whitney

Thanks

bump-----
    DD 6 years old ~ DS 9 months old

Thanks

Tri-phasics made my migraines and weight issues worse. I do remember reading somewhere that tri-phasics are not good for people with PCOS. You may want to try the search function here.

Thanks

the reason i heard tri-type bcp are bad is because pcos-ers need a steady stream of homones to control the side-effects...the tri-type hormone levels go up and down all month and you are never "balanced"...basically you aren't helping yourself because of the constant change...
    Hidden Content
    25 yo
    dx with PCOS(PCOD) jan 06(but suspected i had it way longer)
    YAZ (just ending 6th month)
    single and hopes to ttc one day
    tried pcp, endo, gyno, naturopathic doctors
    now i have a fertility/reproductive endo!
    tried vitex, pcos blend(natural supplement by vitanica) to NO AVAIL...so screw that!
    one furbaby-jessie pooh
    ovo-lacto vegetarian
    Hidden Content

Thanks

thank you for the responces!
    ~ In a commited relationship with the love of my life going on 6 years Hidden Content
    ~ Meds/Suppliments: ortho novum 777, mult. vitamin, biotin, zinc, B complex & caster oil packs.

Hidden Content Whitney

The truth is out there... AnnieC's Avatar
    Thanks

I too have heard about the triphasics being bad for PCOSers. Due to the fluctuation of hormones I think. I was on Orth Tri-Cyclen Lo for a month and my skin went bonkers. I had really bad breakouts so I went back to my Ovcon 35.

Thanks

I am on Ortho Tri Cyclen LO and so far I really like it. I was on regular Ortho TriCyclen when I was younger. After my diagnosis I went on Yasmin, which was HORRIBLE! I had terrible skin issues, weight trouble, moodiness, etc. I have been on the OTCL now for about 4 months. I have had no skin issues and no changes in my weight. To tell you the truth, I feel normal.

I look at it like this, a normal woman has fluctuations in her cycle during the month. The BCP's mimic this.

Also, don't rely on other's experiences. What works for one may be horrible for another. If you are having good experiences with what you are on, stick with it

Stacie

Thanks

Thank you for the comments! I have never switched, but i was thinking of just switching to the mono phasic version of my pill called modicon and the generic is brevicon. Also i belive its the same as Ovcon 35, except modicon has a ttinny bit more progestin. I belive Ovcon 35 has the absolute lowest amount of progestin. The reason is because my pill makes me waay too bloated and crave food when the progestin starts going up after only the first week of active pills! I feel like i need to have my period in the middle of the pack! The modicon would just be the first week of my active pills for the whole month. Have any of you tried this pill and had success w/ it...? Thanks again!

Hidden Content Whitney

Thanks

I was on Ortho Tri Lo and HATED it. I was frumpy, moody, *****y--horrible skin, etc. I've heard that the Tri-isnt good cause it messes with your hormones to much.
    Our 5 angels in heaven:BaileyMaya RuthAveryAricAlex" target="_blank">

Thanks

I think this is where my confusion comes in. Am I correct in thinking that triphasic pills mimic a "normal" woman's cycle? If this is so, I would think in theory it should be better for PCOS. Of course the term "better" is sort of deceptive because it all lies in what a person considers better for them. Some people are ultrasensitive to the ups and downs of the monthly cycle, whether natural or pill induced. Others feel no difference. Maybe this is where the difference in opinions comes in. My RE, who I have a lot of confidence in, thinks that triphasic pills are just fine for PCOS.

Anyway, I will have to Google and see what I can find. It is such a gray area when it comes to PCOS. I stick to my original statement, what works for one may be completely different than what works for another!

Stacie

mom to 4 angels in heaven mom2amy's Avatar
    Thanks

I took it before I was dx PCOS. I tell you it messed me up! I would have break thru bleeds and then still have bad AF visits.
    I would never take it again!

expecting FUR baby meow! guineapig's Avatar
    Thanks

Triphasics usually have the first almost 2 weeks of high, usually unopposed (or barely opposed) estrogen, which many PCOS are sensitive to--seems more so than the average population. The estrogen is what causes mood swings, migraines, high blood pressure, bloating, etc etc. Although some progestins have estrogen-like qualities as well...some of the older ones.

For me, none of the triphasics worked and seemed to make things worse. Especially OrthoTri. If I had to go back on a pill, I'd try a much lower-estrogen option, probably the Nuvaring or YAZ. There's also a new pill Loestrin24? with lower estrogen. All monophasic options.

Whitney86, you might be just sensitive to that progestin in your current pill. Have you tried any other pills, triphasic or not? There are many, many progestins out there now; they seem to get better and less androgenic with time.
    My PCOS is acting up today....
    • allergy therapy x 7 years
    • finally had the Pillar procedure for the sleep apnea
    • 2 wonderful littl'ns thanks to d-chiro-inositol

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

future therapist craftyshutterbug's Avatar
    Thanks

I had a hard time on triphasic pills, as my moodswings were horrid and cramps just excruciating. Once i was moved to a monophasic pill, the mood swings disappeared and the cramps lessen a lot. Lo-Ovral was pretty good. Loestrin was so-so, but it made me sick to my stomach.
    Hidden Content KierstenHidden Content

Only two more years until I am a Licensed Mental Health Counselor!!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Triphasic pills gave me morning sickness. I always vomited on the day after I started the 2nd week of pills. I tried them for 5 or 6 months, and it never got better.