Thanks

Default Can you bleed and not ovulate?

I've very recently been diagnosed with PCOS and I've been on Met for a week, but I have absolutely regular 28 day cycles. Does this mean I'm ovulating? Or can you menstruate and not ovulate?

I didn't really think about this before as I'm single and not tryng to conceive (although I'd love to one day!), but now I'm curious. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts/experiences.
    Diagnosed November 2006
    Metformin 1000mg
    Hidden Content

::DIVINE:: CYSTAH! DivineMadness's Avatar
    Thanks

I May Be Wrong But From What My Doc Was Telling Me Ur Tubes Can Be Blocked..so Youll Shed But Not Ovulate
    ::divinemadness::

DX: PCOS: 04/05
    DX: IR: 05/05
    DX: FIBROMALYGIA: 06/05
    DX: PANCREATITIS: 09/05
    DX: TUMOR/CYSTS: 08/06
    DX: COLONOSCOPY: 09/06
    DX: POLYPS: 09/06
    DX: ENDOSCOPY: 10/06
    DX: GERD: 10/06
    DX: LAP. SURGERY: 11/06
    DX: ENDOMETRIOSIS 5/5: 11/06
    DX: ADHESIONS/SCARRING: 11/06
    DX: STAGE 1 OVARIAN CANCER: 11/06
    DX: TYPE 2 DIABETES: 12/06

MEDS: MIRCETTE, CYMBALTA, LUPRON, MET

Hidden Content

Thanks

When I was diagnosed I had (and still had before becoming pregnant) extremely regular cycles that were like clockwork. I bled every single month. I also tried to concieve for 5 years unsuccessfully before being diagnosed.
    After finding out I had PCOS and getting put on Met, four months after starting to try again I got my positive HPT My doc said that although I was bleeding I may not have been ovulating. You still need to shed the lining even though no egg is released. HTH.
    PCOS DX: 2/2005
    Insulin Resistant
    Met: 1000 Mg a day

Mommy to:
    Morgan Allison 4/02/97
    Olivia Christine 3/22/07
    Andrew Paul 4/10/08

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

What's the difference between anovulatory and ovulatory?
    And I had no idea that one can "bleed" and not ovulate.
    I'm confused!
    How does one know the difference? And what of shedding the lining?
    Does Metformin help shed the lining?
    I'm confused!

Thanks

You can have your period and bleed and not ovulate.... Metformin can make some women who dont ovulate, ovulate and then shed their lining

Thanks

Default hi ya

Hi there,

I'm exactly the same as you. I have really regular periods. Did you ever skip a period in your life? Coz i detected something was wrong around this time last year as I had no period in Oct, Nov and Dec 05. I went to the Doctor over the Xmas holidays and she did a blood test. I was too frightened to ring back for the results as I had a big feeling that there was something wrong.

For me I personally feel that my period of anovulation was when I got no period at all (this time last year) and firmly believe that I am ovulating every month well most months anyway. Unfortunately I find it difficult to determine ovulation time as I suffer from thrush all the time (i'm going for a glouse test on Monday to see if i'm diabetic). Because you are similar to me I feel that there is a possibility that you are ovulating all the time.

Anovulation is when there is a large build up of oestrogen and eventually it is that (not the presence of progestrone) which causes a bleed every month. That's what I've picked up from reading around. I may be wrong however.

Can anyone else on the site help us out here?

Take care

Jes.

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anovulatory_cycle

The anovulatory cycle is a menstrual cycle characterized by varying degrees of menstrual intervals and the absence of ovulation and a luteal phase. In the absence of ovulation, there will be infertility.

Normal menstrual bleeding in the ovulatory cycle is understood as a result of a decline in progesterone due to the demise of the corpus luteum. It is thus a progesterone withdrawal bleeding. As there is no progesterone in the anovulatory cycle, bleeding is caused by the inability of estrogen - that needs to be present to stimulate the endometrium in the first place - to support a growing endometrium. Anovulatory bleeding is hence termed estrogen breakthrough bleeding.
    DD 6 years old ~ DS 9 months old

Thanks
    Blog Entries

A Brooklynite in Philly peppagrl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was having the same confusion as you were Libby, because my period comes regularly like clockwork so diagnosing me with PCOS was difficult. I've stunned myself (a medical student) and a few of my doctors, but I knew something was wrong. The more I understood what was going on with my body, the more I deemed being a woman was difficult.

If you are mensturating regularly then you are definitely ovulating (releasing an egg). You may not ovulate on the same day like clockwork like you menstruate, but you are definitely producing progesterone. Progesterone (along with estradiol) will signal your brain (hypothalamus) to decrease those hormones to cause you to release more eggs (hence decrease the FSH and LH) and so you will break down your endometrium (have your period). Some women with PCOS who are anovulatory are prescribed Provera or oral contraceptive (synthentic progesterone-like-hormones to give a false presence of an egg releasing it) just to trigger the break down of the endometrium and restart their whole body and brain with a cycle (it's like rebooting your body and brain).

Stress has a factor on ovulation too, so keep that in mind. Metformin seems to regulate your menstural cycle a bit, you may also notice your cervical mucus becomes definite and clear cut throughout your cycle (I had more cervical mucus before metformin) and it will change appropiately to your cycle. For example, right after your period the mucus goes from clear to a whitish strandy consistency (increases in thickness until it becomes an egg white like (egwcm)) - that's when you are ovulating, then it becomes very thin and sparse when you are approaching the days towards your period.

Even though your cycle may be regular, you either don't have enough progesterone during ovulation or you are ovulating very briefly and then your cycle starts, so you may ovulate towards the end of your cycle. I wouldn't worry because apparently metformin works wonders in this area and set those hormones straight have you ovulating where you supposed to be. That's why a lot of women with PCOS get pregnant with metformin, it will lengthen your day (or days) of ovulation. So, be careful you might get another positve with metformin (lol).

My RE even defined the type of PCOS I have (which I guess you may have too) as "mild ovulatory PCOS". He suggested I try the ovulation kits (I tried the 7 day box from Target) just to see when I ovulate. Lucky for you you can ignore that warning that "PCOS women can get a false positve" because you get your period regularly. I tried mine into my third and fourth month on metformin and I did get positives exactly on day 11 of my CD25. I wish I've tried them before to see the difference.

This will be a good way to understand how your body works and learn what you can do to prepare for ttc, even though you are not ttc. So Good Luck Libby. It will be fun!
    Last edited by peppagrl; 11-12-2006 at 07:18 PM.
    Hidden Content Dear God: Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! It is amazing to think about. (Psalm 139:14)Hidden Content

Hidden Content Daily Regimen

Thanks

When I was TTC, my doc checked my progesterone and found out that I was not ovulating even though I had a menstrual cycle every month. For a whole year I thought I was ovulating because I got 2 lines on my ovulation sticks every month! The doc said that the sticks will still show ovulation because your body still goes through all of the motions...the release of an egg is the only thing that does not happen. Very misleading when TTC.
    -Dx 7/24/06
    -Started Met 7/06, stopped 8/06. Side effects Hidden Content .
    -Symptoms: Acne, hair loss, weight in the middle, anovulation, high cholesterol.
    -Gained 40 lbs. Starting Met again 1/2010 Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Honorary SoulCyster Susan Marie's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, you can bleed and not ovulate. I had always been extremely irregular, but did bleed and then a few years into ttc, per my doc, I wasn't ovulating....after charting, temps, ov sticks, blood work, etc.
    I was shocked. I, like you, thought if you bled, you ovulated - not true.

I now have two beautiful babies (twins) thanks to a lot of effort on our part (met, fertility drugs, iui, ivf......) and great advice from my doctors.

It's great to find out all these things before you start trying. I sure wish I'd been diagnosed, etc. way earlier than I was. You will be great knowing everything so early!!

Take care!!
    Last edited by Susan Marie; 11-12-2006 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks

Question

Thanks for all the valuable information!
    I love this board!!!
    I would be lost and confused and worried, if not for this board....

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Marie View Post
    after charting, temps, ov sticks, blood work, etc.
    I was shocked. I, like you, thought if you bled, you ovulated - not true.
    How do you chart? What does that mean and how do I go about that? Any informative website I can go to?

Temps? I'm lost! I have yet to talk to my doctor about all this because I'm not planning on becoming pregnant. I just wanted to menstrate, so I dont get endometrial cancer...But, I do want more kids! My first one was a miracle, according to my doctor!!!!
    (I had him before I was diagnosed with PCOS. LONG STORY, HE'S A MIRACLE!! Thank you Lord!!!)

What are OV sticks and where can I get those?

What kind of blood work does one need to go through, in order to find out if I'm ovulating and how often does that get repeated?

I'm so lost!

Waiting for a miracle. hpotterfan1's Avatar
    Thanks

There is a book out called Taking Charge of Your Fertility that can help to answer a lot of you questions as well as show you how to chart and take you temps. You can get it at a Barnes & Noble or you can go to tcoyf.com and order it from there. I have bought this book and wish that I had gotten it and read it sooner. Before I was diagnosed I went to tcoyf.com and it helped me to understand alot of things that my mother didn't tell me about growing up. I HTH. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.
    Tabatha Hidden Content

Me 33 DH 34 Hidden Content
    Dx in Oct. '05

Registered User Stay At Home Wife's Avatar
    Thanks

To op...yes.