Thanks

Default How do you know if a cyst has burst?

I had some sudden pain in my right lower abdomen last night, and it went on for about half an hour before I found out that lying on my left side helped the pain a lot.

It was a crampy kind of pain, almost like gas, but much worse than that. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say it was maybe a 7 or 8 at its worst. I took my temperature and it was 97.7 so I figured it wasn't my appendix.

I was more tired than usual last night and felt worn out. I'm tired again this morning, even though I woke up at 6:30 a.m. Otherwise I feel much better than I did last night, except I think I pulled a muscle on my left side from tensing up from the pain.

Does this warrant a doctor's visit, or is it common for PCOSers? I've never had this happen before, and my last ultrasound was a year ago so I don't know if I had any large cysts.
    Sally, 30 years old
    Diagnosed PCOS 11-22-05
    Metformin 1000 mg 2x daily
    Nexium 40 mg
    Singulair 10 mg
    Zyrtec 10 mg
    Lopressor 50 mg 2x daily
    Norvasc 10 mg
    Depo-Provera (at the moment)

Thanks

Sally,

I think that the feeling that you get when a cyst bursts will be a bit different for everyone. For me, it felt like I was being split in two, and I blacked out, started sweating, getting cold, right back to sweating again.

I also remember my doctor saying that it is hard to tell if a cyst has burst if you don't get an ultrasound within so many hours of it happening? It may not be a bad idea to see your doctor anyhow. It could be the cyst, or something else completely. I'd say listen to your body. A burst cyst in itself can't really be helped after it's happened though. No harm...I think?
    Emmy

Me (30) DH (33)

TTC #1 since 09/27/2005
    BFP 02/16/2008 & Missed miscarriage 04/11/2008
    BFP 12/16/2008 - Due August 23, 2009

My blog: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I had a cyst burst a couple of years ago, and it was by far the worst pain that I have ever been in. I thought for sure I was dying. I couldn't sit, stand, lay down, it was just constant pain. It was really bad for a few hours, and I went to the Dr. My Dr. told me that there was really nothing that could be done to "fix" anything, but gave me some pain pills and told me to lay down for the rest of the day, and to take the next day off from work.

She told me that the residual pain was from all the fluid that was released with the cyst ruptured and that it would take a couple of days for my body to recoup.

I'm sure it's different for everyone though, and probably depends on how large the cyst was to begin with.

I wish you luck, if you're concerned a visit to the Dr might ease your mind.
    Tricia (26)
    Baby #1 due 3/13/08
    It's a GIRL!!!!

Thanks
    Me - 28

"Stars, hide your fires; let not light see my black and deep desires. The eye wink at the hand, yet let that be which the eye fears, when it is done, to see."

"I've tried to get away from it all, but I've failed, for I've come to see... although much I find, I can leave behind, I can't get away from me."

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling kind of sick today, but not too bad overall. I keep getting hot and then cold, and I need to take my temperature again, but I was a little hungry this morning so I'm hoping I'm on the mend.

It's nice to know it happens more frequently than it seems, although I hate for anyone to go through that kind of pain. It still helps to know I'm not alone.
    Sally, 30 years old
    Diagnosed PCOS 11-22-05
    Nexium 40 mg
    Singulair 10 mg
    Zyrtec 10 mg
    Lopressor 50 mg 2x daily
    Norvasc 10 mg

Thanks

I'm feeling a bit better now. I was going from hot to cold and back to hot again, but my temperature has been 97.7, 98.0, and 97.6 so I think I'm okay so far. I have a lower body temp, so it's kind of hard to know when I'm actually having a fever.

All my body functions seem to be working just fine and I've actually been having some pretty intense cravings today (cake!) so unless I develop a fever later on I think I'll be okay.
    Sally, 30 years old
    Diagnosed PCOS 11-22-05
    Nexium 40 mg
    Singulair 10 mg
    Zyrtec 10 mg
    Lopressor 50 mg 2x daily
    Norvasc 10 mg