Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User scarletsquirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

Default vaginal odor associated with diabetes

Just came across this article on WEBMD where it mentions that chronic vaginal odor can be a symptom of diabetes, low estrogen, and thyroid problems.

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article...m?pagenumber=4
    ScarletSquirrel Hidden Content
    Book Lover, Coffee drinker, Contra Dancer

Highest Weight 263 (5/06)
    New Diet 5/8/07 Start weight 255 lbs
    Current Weight 224 (3/24/08)

Thanks

That explains why pcos women tend to get chronic yeat infections down there. Good to know why.

Thanks

Interesting read. Thanks for the post.
    Me - 28

"Stars, hide your fires; let not light see my black and deep desires. The eye wink at the hand, yet let that be which the eye fears, when it is done, to see."

"I've tried to get away from it all, but I've failed, for I've come to see... although much I find, I can leave behind, I can't get away from me."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by happytoknow View Post
    Interesting read. Thanks for the post.
    HI LADYS i just want to comment on the diabetes , i have diabetes i never had a problem with odor. i think its what a person eats ,has a lot to with odor,
    and again with yeast infection, had about 3 all my life. i have diabetes for 5 years and pcos . so i guess every one is not the same
    love EMMA

Thanks

Yeast infections can happen when there is an offset of vaginal ph which can be caused by hormone imbalance, what goes down there (like fabric, soaps, oral sex, lubricants, etc), and acidic, and bacterial foods. Some women who have more comprimised immune systems and diabetics tend to have more yeast problems. I think some women are just more prone to them and others not even an issue.

Thanks

Does this mean women without diabetes who have vaginal odor have other problems? I do not have diabetes but have always had odor and a lot of discharge. I have never had a yeast infection, which is strange because I've read of so many PCOS women who have had them. Any thoughts? I have changed my diet since getting married 6 years ago. We eat a very healthy diet with only ocassional sweets and fatty foods. We cook most of the food we eat. So I don't think diet would be a factor. I just don't know. My doctors have never given me any clue as to why.
    Mandi (29) Hidden Content Shoha (21) Hidden Content
    Metformin ER @ 500mg
    Spironalactone @ 50mg
    Women's Multivitamin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandirae23 View Post
    Does this mean women without diabetes who have vaginal odor have other problems? I do not have diabetes but have always had odor and a lot of discharge. I have never had a yeast infection, which is strange because I've read of so many PCOS women who have had them. Any thoughts? I have changed my diet since getting married 6 years ago. We eat a very healthy diet with only ocassional sweets and fatty foods. We cook most of the food we eat. So I don't think diet would be a factor. I just don't know. My doctors have never given me any clue as to why.
    I went to my gynie's website and he has a blurb about pcos. One of the symptoms he describes is that many women with pcos have chronic vaginal infection. I certainly do and when he checked me out for it the second time he told me that it is not true yeast. It is something caused by the hormone imbalance. It can also be started by certain meds like bcp. I don't understand what he means about it not being true yeast. I get that white film on my tongue which is a sign of yeast overload.

excerpt from his website:

Signs and Symptoms
    In some women with PCOS, hormone changes may begin as early as the very first menstrual cycle. In other women with PCOS, changes occur over time.

Signs and symptoms vary in women with PCOS and may include:
    • Excess hair on the face and body (known as hirsutism)
    • Acne
    • Darkened color and change in texture of the skin along the neck and armpits and on the groin and inner thighs
    • Obesity
    • Irregular menstrual periods or no periods
    • Trouble getting pregnant
    • Vaginal yeast infections
    • Hair loss

Thanks

I have suffered from bacterial vaginiosis (sp?) since around the time I was diagnosed with PCOS. It's so frustrating!!!!!!! My dr is always giving me a medicine to use (MetroGel) and it'll go away, but seems like it comes back within a few weeks. I always know when I have it by the "fishy" odor. I never have yeast infections. I have stopped wearing thong panties, but so far that hasn't helped. (Although it has helped with my boils I get down there... I no longer have any for the first time in years!!!!!!)

Thanks

Default bacterial vaginiosis? true yeast?

Quote Originally Posted by itsjusttammie View Post
    I have suffered from bacterial vaginiosis (sp?) since around the time I was diagnosed with PCOS. It's so frustrating!!!!!!! My dr is always giving me a medicine to use (MetroGel) and it'll go away, but seems like it comes back within a few weeks. I always know when I have it by the "fishy" odor. I never have yeast infections. I have stopped wearing thong panties, but so far that hasn't helped. (Although it has helped with my boils I get down there... I no longer have any for the first time in years!!!!!!)
    what is bacterial vaginiosis and is this what doctors are talking about when they tell me I do not have true yeast? Is this what causes a constant film down there or the hives? I've been on anti fungals, acidophilus, cranberry tabs, monostat, garlic tabs, epsum salt baths with tea tree oil, cut out bread, drink tons of water, wear cotton panties....so many things that would always help but lately it does not go away and it makes me crazy. Boils?!? down there??? you poor girl!

Thanks

I get BV too.

Bacterial Vaginosis is an imbalance of bad vs good bacteria in your vagina, due to a PH that's too acidic. It causes a fishy smell and a discharge. I think it's been linked in increase miscarriage risk as well.

I used to treat it with a great gel called Aci-Jel, which was basically like KY Jelly with an acid in it to maintain a normal PH. Unfortunately they've now discontinued it! Instead I'm now also using the prescribed gels.

I also get Thrush (yeast infection). Also caused partly by funny pH, too, I think.

I'm considering making my own Aci-Jel! Lemon juice might do it

Hope that helps.

Tory
    Diagnosed since December 2002
    Married to my best friend since 22/07/06
    35 years old
    Our wonderful son born 25/4/10
    Second pregnancy, BFP 3/09/13. No meds. M/C at 7 weeks
    Third pregnancy, BFP 26/11/13 Soy 150mg and Metformin.

Hidden Content

Thanks

And even thought it's an imbalance of PH, etc... several doctors have told me that there isn't any known reasons for it. I've been told to not wear thong panties, use very mild, fragrance free bath soaps, laundry soaps, etc. Nothing seems to matter. Even when I use MetroGel to get rid of it, it comes back within a month or two. It's very frustrating because when I have it, I notice the odor and feel so unclean. If you ever figure out something that works, please let us know!

As for the boils... what a relief to have these GONE! I had one that ended up the size of a golf ball on my inner thigh. It was extremely painful and I ended up having it lanced which was one of the most painful things I've ever had done. I used to have about 3 or 4 of these at a time around the areas where the thongs would rub. That was the only one that got that bad.
    ~Tammie~

Thanks

I have had the sammmme problem for so long regarding that fishy odor. I see a docotor that specialized in bacterial infections. The symptoms you have could very well be that. There sometimes associated with PCOS. Ive been suffering for years with this problem. I take a medication called Flaggyl..Its the most disgusting pill i have every taken in my entire life, but it does get rid of that nasty sewer, fishy smell. You have to stay on the medication for a while though for it to work like it should.

I also always have yeast infections, due to the medications.

I read alot on this website, and i gotta tell you, its rough, and very depressing. PCOS, Bacterial infections, yeast infections. for crying out loud...well it ever get betta?

Hope this helps

Thanks

I too suffer from constant vaginal odor. It never seems to go away for me either and it's pretty upsetting and discouraging for my boyfriend and I. I have a few thoughts, have any of you had your boyfriends/husbands checked and treated for BV as well? If not, I believe BV can be spread right back to you. Also, although I've never had an outbreak down below, I know that I carry the herpes virus and that could compromise your immune system--I remember reading that herpes can cause odor or more infections? I think it is very related to insulin resistance though as well. I'm not diabetic, but it's always there. I drink alot of water, but it does not really disapper. How interesting that it disappears when you're on antibiotics constantly--doesn't that through your balance off too? I always get a yeast infection after antibiotics.

Thanks

I too get BV waaaaayyyy too much for my liking. I have yet to find anything to keep it away. one time my dr. gave me meds to give my bf also and it didn't help. Maybe it would work for someone else but not us.

Thanks

Funny I stumble on this thread, I think about this all the time. I seem to have some type of discharge at all times. I shower twice a day, and heaven forbid I think that I might have sex, cause I will shower and then shower again. It makes me feel so dirty, because no matter how much I wash, I still feel unclean all of the time. It isn't like a yeast infection, it is just like 'it' is moist all of the time, so my undies are moist all of the time. All of my tests have come back normal, and I don't know what to do about it. I watch the sex scenes in movies and marvel at the women who work all day and then have sex with their husbands as soon as they get home. I keep thinking 'Man, how could she do that without showering?' I still can not believe that I am typing this, I have never discussed this with a living soul. Thanks for bringing up such a touchy and personal subject ladies. Any suggestions?