Page 32 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default my success story

Hi Everyone,
    I'm so incredibly excited that I'm able to post a success story here, as it was all of your success stories that gave me the courage to begin taking Metformin. I began taking Metformin this past August, and followed the gradual dosage increases for about 1 month. I took 500 mg, then 1000, then 1500, and finally made it up to 2000 mg. I was fine until I hit the 2000 mark, and then experienced tremendous nausea and diarrhea. It was so bad, and I was so sure it wasn't working for me, that I decided to stop taking it for a few days. But for some reason, I decided to get back on track, so I went back to the 1500 mg dose for a week, and then upped to 2000 with few s/e. Well, it had been 60+ days since my last period, I had no change in my facial hair status, and nothing seemed to be changing. I had actually gained 1 pound! I was so disheartened, and I was certain that Metformin just wasn't working for me. I convinced myself I had Crohn's disease or pituitary problems or some other ailment that was causing my problems. My periods were always irregular, but they would usually come before 60 days. Well one day, I'm like, what the heck, let me just take a pregnancy test. I know there's no chance I'm pregnant, but I'll take this test just to prove it to myself. Well, suffice it to say, the test came back positive. I was in shock. I couldn't believe it at all. I took another test. Positive. I went to the store and bought two more. Both positive. I was in shock. I immediately called the doctor and was miraculously able to schedule an appointment for the next day. In the meantime, I went on the internet and tried to determine if there were ways to get false positive tests, and I saw that certain ovarian cysts caused false positives. I convinced myself that this must be the case (especially since I had been feeling these weird menstrual-like cramps every so often). So I went to the doctor and I told her that I think I have an ovarian cyst that led to a positive pregnancy test. She looked at me like I was a little crazy, and told me that, no, I was definitely pregnant. I didn't believe her -- I told her that we'd have to wait until the ultrasound. She then took me into the ultrasound room, gave me an ultrasound and showed me my beautiful little 6-week-old bean baby. She also let me listen to the heartbeat. I couldn't believe it. I was STUNNED. I'm still stunned. After a lifetime of dealing with irregular periods and other PCOS symptoms, I was convinced I would never have a success story, but I do now and I can't believe it. I guess all I can say is that Metformin works, and I'm so grateful to you all and all of your success stories for convincing me to go on. I know this is long, but I guess you all can tell I'm just a little excited.

Thanks

What a wonderful story! Thanks for posting!

Thanks

So far i've been on met for 2 months. I didnt have very many side effects other than nausea for the first week or so. I've lost 13lbs so far, and the past 2 cycles I've ovulated according to FF. I'm getting frusterated because my cycle still hasnt worked itself out. I went from a 34 day cycle to an 18 day, and now i'm on cd 23 and still no sign of af. How long did it take for met to regulate your cycle? I have a dr appointment tomorrow and i will be upping the dosage. Maybe that will help...

Thanks

wow ladies like you ladies give me hope so much..I live on this site now lol..Ambrose251 great story..Im hoping to put my success stories up to one day..
    PROUD MOMMY TO 2 BABY GIRLS!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Ambrose, what a lovely story!! Congratulations!!
    Laura (32) Hidden Content James (37)
    Zoe Cassandra DOB 9/21/2009.
    TTC #2!

Thanks

Default Thank you!

I loved your story so much. Congratulations! I am going to push my Dr. again to let me try met. They told me after 9 months of shots, we can now try clomid. But I want to mix the clomid with met. Wish me luck. I want a story like yours.

Nikie

Quote Originally Posted by ambrose251 View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm so incredibly excited that I'm able to post a success story here, as it was all of your success stories that gave me the courage to begin taking Metformin. I began taking Metformin this past August, and followed the gradual dosage increases for about 1 month. I took 500 mg, then 1000, then 1500, and finally made it up to 2000 mg. I was fine until I hit the 2000 mark, and then experienced tremendous nausea and diarrhea. It was so bad, and I was so sure it wasn't working for me, that I decided to stop taking it for a few days. But for some reason, I decided to get back on track, so I went back to the 1500 mg dose for a week, and then upped to 2000 with few s/e. Well, it had been 60+ days since my last period, I had no change in my facial hair status, and nothing seemed to be changing. I had actually gained 1 pound! I was so disheartened, and I was certain that Metformin just wasn't working for me. I convinced myself I had Crohn's disease or pituitary problems or some other ailment that was causing my problems. My periods were always irregular, but they would usually come before 60 days. Well one day, I'm like, what the heck, let me just take a pregnancy test. I know there's no chance I'm pregnant, but I'll take this test just to prove it to myself. Well, suffice it to say, the test came back positive. I was in shock. I couldn't believe it at all. I took another test. Positive. I went to the store and bought two more. Both positive. I was in shock. I immediately called the doctor and was miraculously able to schedule an appointment for the next day. In the meantime, I went on the internet and tried to determine if there were ways to get false positive tests, and I saw that certain ovarian cysts caused false positives. I convinced myself that this must be the case (especially since I had been feeling these weird menstrual-like cramps every so often). So I went to the doctor and I told her that I think I have an ovarian cyst that led to a positive pregnancy test. She looked at me like I was a little crazy, and told me that, no, I was definitely pregnant. I didn't believe her -- I told her that we'd have to wait until the ultrasound. She then took me into the ultrasound room, gave me an ultrasound and showed me my beautiful little 6-week-old bean baby. She also let me listen to the heartbeat. I couldn't believe it. I was STUNNED. I'm still stunned. After a lifetime of dealing with irregular periods and other PCOS symptoms, I was convinced I would never have a success story, but I do now and I can't believe it. I guess all I can say is that Metformin works, and I'm so grateful to you all and all of your success stories for convincing me to go on. I know this is long, but I guess you all can tell I'm just a little excited.
    Married to DH 5/97
    Me 33 and DH 35
    DD Eva 8/02 no problems conceiving
    Miscarriage 11/04 no problems conceiving
    TTC since 1/05
    1 IUI with no drugs, 1 IUI with Follistim
    DX with PCOS 10/06
    9 cycles Follistim, great follicles no rupture
    2 rounds 50mg clomid, great follicles no rupture
    1500mg Metformin since 12/07
    Small male factor

Thanks

WOW! Congratulations Ambrose!!! That is just wonderful news! HOw exciting!!!!! Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

I just started the Met like a week ago. Tonight I up my dose to 1000mg for a week, then up to the 1500mg. Your story definitely gives me even more hope and encouragement to stay on this medication!!!!

I do have a question though. You mentioned that you hadn't had AF in 60+ days...how long after starting Met did you get AF?
    Hidden Content Kim (33) DH (28)

TTC#1 Since January 2005
    Dx with PCOS 03/2006
    Metformin 1500 mg since 10/2007
    1st BFP March 14, 2008!!!!! Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

Thank you all for your encouragement! I am very excited and hope that you all have similar stories sometime soon. Good2Do, in response to your question, I was prescribed prometrium for 7 days a few days before I was set to begin Metformin, but for some reason it didn't induce a period. However, 2 days after I began Metformin, my period began. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the Met, though, because I was just really in the phase where I would expect some sort of period at that time... Hope this helps! And thanks again for all of your encouragement.

Thanks

I feel so truly happy in my heart for all you ladies and your stories. I really hope and pray that God will smile on me too and I can add my story here one day soon. Lord knows it's been a journey and I deserve to be happy and I am so happy for you all and your blessings.

Thanks

Question Dosage levels

For those of you who have had success with Met ---did they start you out at a small dose and then increase? At what doses did you see a difference? My free testosterone level just came back at 14.8, which is more than twice the normal, and the Dr. only put me on 500mg. Does this sound right?

Thanks

My doc prescribed the doses in my signature. I started at 500 mg each time, but only for a week before upping my dose 500 mg more each week until I got to the final dose. I'm a thin cyster and never been tested for IR. No matter what dose I was on though... still took me EXACTLY the same amount of time to get pregnant (3-4 months)

Thanks

Lots of great stories ladies... Seems that met can really work. i have now been on since early sept and am on my second cycle, af has come twice! amazing to me... my doc wants to up my dose to 850, 2x day... i am worried about the se... any advice?
    also, now that i have had 2 cycles, what is the best way to figure out when/IF i am ovulating?
    thanks for all the inspiration and support--this site is the best and i so hope that soon i can share a wonderful story with you!

Thanks

I'm only on 500mg/day and have been for the entire 2 months. It was enough to bring on ovulation for me, however i will be upping the dose to 1000mg today.

Thanks

what is the best way to figure out when/IF i am ovulating?
    Temping will help... read the book Taking Charge of your Fertility.

Thanks

Default New

I'm new here! I was just diagnosed with PCOS 2 days ago, and I have to say that you are all such an inspiration to me. I hope to have great results to post here soon! Good luck to everyone else ttc also!!
    Me(24)DH(28)

Adilee- 1/4/2009

Xavier- 1/23/10