Thanks

Default Do you have pain after a pap smear?

I went for my physical today and it was its usual unpleasantness. I've urinated twice since getting home and each time it's uncomfortable. Not like a bladder infection but just painful.

I've never had sex and I had to quit wearing tampons because they became too uncomfortable (after wearing them for a few years with no problems). I was just wondering if it's normal to have discomfort after a pap smear and pelvic exam when you pee.
    Sally, 30 years old
    Diagnosed PCOS 11-22-05
    Metformin 1000 mg 2x daily
    Nexium 40 mg
    Singulair 10 mg
    Zyrtec 10 mg
    Lopressor 50 mg 2x daily
    Norvasc 10 mg
    Depo-Provera (at the moment)

Thanks

hi

yes, i get pain after a smear (pap test), with a bit of bleeding, too. My dr said it's cos i have cervical ectropian - which is extra cells in my womb that bleed. Could you have a word with your dr or nurse? just to check.
    eva
    PCOS, LOCAH, ER+ breast cancer, Endom, Lichen Planus, IBS, HS, raised bp/ cholesterol. Meds: Spiro, Bendrofluazide, Amlodopine, Simvastatin, Met, Prednisolone, Mebeverine, Omeprazole, Tamoxafen ,

Me - 45, hubby 39 son 15 Married 18 years

She is buffeted by the wind, but she does not sink.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

I'm extremely sensitive down there so yes, I too feel uncomfortable after Paps....Ususally for a weeks time....I feel totally violated afterwards...I informed my gyn about the discomfort and she uses the smallest speculum, but I'm still uncomfortable...I think it's from the cervical swabbing and when she *ahem* inserts her fingers to feel for my uterus and ovaries....have you tried switching brands of tampons? You might want to mention how you feel along with your inability to use tampons to your Dr.
    Me 32 DH 37
    DD 2.20.09
    PCOS Offically Dx'd 2003
    IR Dx'd 9.4.07

Supps: Inositol, Super B Complex, CLA , Saw Palmetto, NAC, Soy Isoflavones cd 3-7

Thanks

I have also had pain from time to time after I have my pap. That is probably why I don't like to schedule them.

Thanks

I had the same problem last time i had a pap. I have only been to the gyno twice, the first time they used a small spect. (b/c I like you had not had sex yet. Had no probplems no pain no bleeding afterwards. Last year, i am assuming she used the reg. spectum b/c it hurt like a mother. I had slight cramping afterward and light bleeding for a few days after. I think this year i am going to request that she used the small spectum. Hope this helps. About the tampons, i agree with the other posts, mabye it is the brand you are using, i just started using tampons about two years ago and i love them. Try a different brand.

Thanks

If it is uncomfortable when you urinate, the doctor may have bruised your uretha. Think about when you bumped hard on your bicycle seat as a child. It could make you uncomfortable for days!

I usually cramp after a pap smear - for the rest of the day and into the night. I also think I can feel where they scrapped off the cervical cells.

Tell you gyn every time you go if you have never been sexually active. Remind them you need a small speculum. Most of them don't take the time to read back through your chart and won't think about using a smaller speculum unless you remind them. There are all different sizes of speculums, including short and thin and long and thin. Also, if it's hurting, let the gyn know. Often scooting down on the table closer to the doctor will open you up more and therefore you will have less pain.

Thanks

Thanks for the great replies. I live in a really small area and I'm sure my doctor (family practitioner) doesn't have a lot of different kinds of speculums. She never even asked me about my sexual history until last year, but I guess she assumed that I was sexually active. I have a tentative diagnosis of endometriosis but haven't had a lap to diagnose, but since pain during sex is a symptom I'm surprised she didn't ask me eariler. I'll never forget the look on her face when I told her I'd never had sex, and I'm sure she can't forget it because I guess she doesn't see that too often in people in their mid-20s.

I think I have a harder time relaxing because I've never had sex. I do go as far down to the end of the table as I can, and I try to consciously relax but it's hard. She's gentle, though, which I certainly appreciate.

Does it ever get easier to have pelvic exams and paps? I've probably had 10 or 15 of them as well as 4 tv ultrasounds, but I still get embarassed. My face turns red and I feel really self-conscious. I hear that giving birth helps to get over that embarassment, but I've no plans for kids anytime soon.
    Sally, 30 years old
    Diagnosed PCOS 11-22-05
    Metformin 1000 mg 2x daily
    Nexium 40 mg
    Singulair 10 mg
    Zyrtec 10 mg
    Lopressor 50 mg 2x daily
    Norvasc 10 mg
    Depo-Provera (at the moment)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I had a pap test done 2 weeks ago and I'm still bleeding and in pain. This is SO NOT COOL. I've never had a reaction to a pap test like this before. The speculum got stuck and when they were able to get it out, there was a loud POP noise. Owie It seems to get a bit better, then I walk around or do some chores and it starts bleeding again. I'm hanging out in bed today to see if I can get it to heal completely before I re-injure myself again. Bleck!

Registered User grace_like_rain's Avatar
    Thanks

I have only had one done. I`m still a virgin. I had pain during it, and quite a bit of pain and cramping for days afterwards.
    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11