Thanks

Default Metformin & Supplements - what to take and what to avoid

http://www.evitamins.com/healthnotes...tentID=1437003

Metformin

Brand Name: Glucophage®

Metformin is a drug used to lower blood sugar levels in people with non-insulin-dependent (type 2) diabetes.

Summary of Interactions with Vitamins, Herbs, and Foods
    (for details about the summarized interactions, read the full article)
    May be Beneficial: Depletion or interference—The medication may deplete or interfere with the absorption or function of the nutrient. Taking these nutrients may help replenish them.Folic acid*
    Vitamin B12
    May be Beneficial: Side effect reduction/prevention—Taking these supplements may help reduce the likelihood and/or severity of a potential side effect caused by the medication.Calcium
    Avoid: Reduced drug absorption/bioavailability—Avoid these supplements when taking this medication since the supplement may decrease the absorption and/or activity of the medication in the body.Guar gum*
    Avoid: Adverse interaction—Avoid these supplements when taking this medication because taking them together may cause undesirable or dangerous results.Ginkgo biloba
    Check: Other—Before taking any of these supplements or eating any of these foods with your medication, read this article in full for details.DHEA
    Magnesium
    Supportive interactionNone known

An asterisk (*) next to an item in the summary indicates that the interaction is supported only by weak, fragmentary, and/or contradictory scientific evidence.

Metformin Interactions with Dietary Supplements

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA)
    Metformin has been reported to increase blood levels of DHEA-sulfate in at least two studies.1 2
    Folic acid and Vitamin B12
    Metformin therapy has been shown to deplete vitamin B12 and sometimes, but not always,3 folic acid as well.4 This depletion occurs through the interruption of a calcium-dependent mechanism. Supplementation with calcium has reversed this effect in a clinical trial.5 People taking metformin should supplement vitamin B12 and folic acid or ask their doctor to monitor folic acid and vitamin B12 levels.
    Magnesium
    In a study of patients with poorly controlled type 2 diabetes, low blood levels of magnesium, and high urine magnesium loss, metformin therapy was associated with reduced urinary magnesium losses but no change in low blood levels of magnesium.6 Whether this interaction has clinical importance remains unclear.
    Guar gum
    In a small, controlled study, guar gum plus metformin slowed the rate of metformin absorption.7 In people with diabetes this interaction could reduce the blood sugar–lowering effectiveness of metformin. Until more is known, metformin should be taken two hours before or two hours after guar gum–containing supplements. It remains unclear whether the small amounts of guar gum found in many processed foods is enough to significantly affect metformin absorption.

Metformin Interactions with Herbs

Ginkgo biloba
    In a preliminary trial, administration of Ginkgo biloba extract (120 mg per day) for three months to patients with type 2 diabetes who were taking oral anti-diabetes medication resulted in a significant worsening of glucose tolerance. Ginkgo did not impair glucose tolerance in individuals whose diabetes was controlled by diet.8 Individuals taking oral anti-diabetes medication should consult a doctor before taking Ginkgo biloba.

Metformin Interactions with Foods and Other Compounds

Food
    Food interferes with metformin absorption.9 10 11 Taking metformin with food can reduce the absorption of the drug. Therefore, metformin should be taken an hour before or two hours after a meal unless stomach upset occurs.
    Alcohol
    Lactic acidosis is a rare but serious side effect of metformin. Alcohol increases the production of lactic acid caused by metformin, increasing the risk of lactic acidosis.12 People taking metformin should avoid alcohol or consult with their doctor before consuming alcohol.

Now I am only confused about one thing: do you take or avoid Iron with Metformin??
    Ashley Hidden Content (27)
    Married to DH (32) Hidden Content 10/01/2005 Hidden Content

Armour Thyroid - 3 grains starting 10/2009

Thanks

excellent article, thanks for sharing
    eva
    PCOS, LOCAH, ER+ breast cancer, Endom, Lichen Planus, IBS, HS, raised bp/ cholesterol. Meds: Spiro, Bendrofluazide, Amlodopine, Simvastatin, Met, Prednisolone, Mebeverine, Omeprazole, Tamoxafen ,

Me - 45, hubby 39 son 15 Married 18 years

She is buffeted by the wind, but she does not sink.

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Yikes! I wasn't too fond of this statement: "Food interferes with metformin absorption. Taking metformin with food can reduce the absorption of the drug. Therefore, metformin should be taken an hour before or two hours after a meal unless stomach upset occurs."

Is there anyone out there that takes Metformin without a meal and avoids terrible stomach upset?

Great article! Thanks!

Thanks

anyone know the deal w/magnesium. that's so vague in the article. i take cal/mag supplements, is there anything i should consider ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sachi View Post
    Yikes! I wasn't too fond of this statement: "Food interferes with metformin absorption. Taking metformin with food can reduce the absorption of the drug. Therefore, metformin should be taken an hour before or two hours after a meal unless stomach upset occurs."

Is there anyone out there that takes Metformin without a meal and avoids terrible stomach upset?

Great article! Thanks!
    It is highly recommended by most here to take Metformin/Glucophage WITH a meal to avoid stomach upset.

I mainly posted this article for the supplements, but was wondering about Iron. Should we take or avoid Iron?
    Ashley Hidden Content (27)
    Married to DH (32) Hidden Content 10/01/2005 Hidden Content

Armour Thyroid - 3 grains starting 10/2009

The truth is out there... AnnieC's Avatar
    Thanks

My met says right on the bottle take with a meal. If I don't then I get really nauseous.

I find that I have really bad diarrhea when I take met with a B complex vitamin. Not sure why but I do. It's too bad too because when I take the B complex my skin is glowing and I have a ton of energy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sachi View Post
    Yes - it can be done. I had an aweful time with Met until my doc recommended I take met 2 hours after eating and with some fiber. The recommendation was actually to take liquid fiber (i.e. metimucil), but then I decided I hate drinking that stuff too so I just bought a box of shredded wheats (no sugar - just the strait up ones) and I take it with a handful of those (and milk or soy or water or something). It did help. On the otherhand, I had been on Met for over a month at that point, so it may have just been that the symptoms resolved themselves.

I take my Met now in the morning 1 hour before breakfast (I take the met first thing when I wake up, go for my morning run, and then by the time I've showered and gotten ready its been an hour and I have cereal/yogurt/fruit for breakfast. In the evening I take it at 9pm (2 hours after dinner) with my shredded wheats.

My only side effect now is sugar in the evening - desserts are deadly. I've been kinda hoping that would wear off - I've been a very deprived chocoholic lately!

I heard about B12 but I had no idea about the folic acid one - I take a vitamin that has 400 Folic Acid - wonder if thats enough or if I should take a higher dose?

BabyG

Thanks

I get really nauseus if I take it without food so I'm going to stick to taking it with food and milk.

A side effect I'm noticing this time around, but didn't notice last time I took Met is the fatigue some people have mentioned. Others on the board have suggested B vitamins to counter it, but does anyone know the recommended dosages?

The truth is out there... AnnieC's Avatar
    Thanks

I take a B 150 Complex from GNC. If you go to www.gnc.com and look up Big 150 you can read what's in it. Don't worry about taking too much B though-B vitamins are water soluble and your body will get rid of what it doesn't need (in the way of neon yellow pee!). I feel a lot better when I take the B vitamin, and my skin looks better too.

I think if you go to any pharmacy and pick out a good brand name B complex you will be fine.

Thanks

Great article!