Thanks

Default menopur & gonal -f

does anyone use menopur? have you used menopur? my dr swears by it and wont prescribe anything else... the dr wont give it to me with anything else... so wondering why do some women i am reading about take it with the gonal-f... also... how soon after coming off of bcp can u take fertility meds?
    Jose (33 - DB) -n- Florence (27 - ME)
    TTC #3!!! Officially Starting 8/2/2010
    DS: 4/7/08
    DS #2: 7/29/09
    WLS 5/9/07
    HW|Pre-Op|Pre-Pg #1|CW|GW
    240|209|160|121.5|130
    pre-pg #2|post-partum|CW|goal
    121.5|164.5|138|125

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 487 Posts

At my clinic they rarely - if ever - use menopur on PCOS patients. Menopur is an LH/FSH med and since most of us with PCOS have the excess LH issues, it often doesn't work as well. We need more FSH - my nurse says in her experience, PCOS patients on menopur tend to develop lots of tiny follicles that don't go anywhere. I have certainly read success stories of cysters using menopur or the similar drug, repronex - but it seems that more of us are on the FSH drugs - follistim, bravelle, or gonal-f. (This is with regard to injectables cycles... it may be different with IVF)

I don't know about mixing them. Perhaps some patients need something in between the two and so they take a little of each but it seems in most cases it is all one or all the other. I have heard of taking an oral med - femara or clomid - with an injectable - is that what you're thinking of?

You can start treatment right after BCPs - just count the first day of bleeding as CD1. I personally have had better response in cycles where I had a BCP break of a few weeks or months beforehand.
    Last edited by RunnerDuck; 02-19-2007 at 01:29 PM.
    "Laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose -
    Every way you look at it, you lose."
    - Simon & Garfunkel

Thanks

I used Gonal F to prepare for an iui and I WAY over responded. So, they thought I would only be able to do IVF. So, I started Menopur to prepare for IVF--my RE uses that in people with PCOS with the high risk of hyperstimulation--because he said the LH balances all of that out. Well, on Menopur, I only produced one large follicle--bad for IVF but great for IUI--so I got to try an IUI after all. Then I tried menopur again and had to cancel because I developed a cyst. This next time the plan is to use low dose of gonal F and a low dose of Menopur to try to get 1-3 good size follies to try another IUI. I was afraid of teh menopur at first because you have to mix it, but it's very easy to do.
    Kayla Marie and Parker Charles born on 3/18/08 (bedrest at 19 weeks due to PTL/IC, and gestational diabetes)

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

hi...
    just wanted to chime in that menopure/repronex didnt work for me either..i did three cycles of it with no real luck..when i switched to puregon/ follitism i got much better results and actually oed! try it..i think its less expensive...u could try it...and if it doesnt work push for a pure fsh drug and see how that works for u. good luck to u! also..u can take injections with the withdrawl bleed u get coming off the pill. u usually start on day 4 of ur period. HTH
    me 29 dh 31
    dx 2003
    thin- no IR/mf
    12 BFN-ivf- BFP DS 1/08
    ttc2- 4 BFN-IVF2 BFP-m/c 3/17-BFP 5/10- its a BOY DS2 1/11
    ttc#3- 5 BFNs on inj.
    BFP 6/12!
    ITS A GIRL! 2/13/13!!

Thanks

thanx for all in the input... i didnt respond to well either with the menupur... just thinking about what to do when i come off of bcp...
    Jose (33 - DB) -n- Florence (27 - ME)
    TTC #3!!! Officially Starting 8/2/2010
    DS: 4/7/08
    DS #2: 7/29/09
    WLS 5/9/07
    HW|Pre-Op|Pre-Pg #1|CW|GW
    240|209|160|121.5|130
    pre-pg #2|post-partum|CW|goal
    121.5|164.5|138|125

Thanks

Thumbs down same here..

We tried menopur + gonal too and response was bad could produce only one follicle that too 13.5! DR asked to continue with just follistem injection for this cycle!!

Thanks

This is interesting to me. I know I had PCOS but I think my case has been lessening over the years as I have been getting older.

On my last injectable/IUI cycle I started out with Follistim and then had to add Menopur. It worked VERY well on me. I had 6 mature follicles at trigger. I think I needed the LH later in the cycle to get the eggs to mature.
    Michelle
    Me: 36 DH: 38
    DS: 16
    DD:15
    DD, DS, and DS: 20 mo.
    Hidden Content

PCOS with IR
    Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Thanks

I have been on pills like Clomid and Femera for a little while now. They worked at first all by themselves. Then we had to add an injectable. We started off using Gonal-F. Produced 5 lovely follies all a good size and got pregnant. Then we lost it.
    Since then we had been using Gonal and each month it started to work less and less. Then just this month we were switched to Menopur from Gonal. I thought the injections hurt more. It didn't work all that well for me at all. They thought I should have success with 5 injections. I needed a 6th. Then I still wasn't growing the 4 small follies I had so they gave me some Gonal injections saying that at this point in time my body would react the same to either drug. So I took 2 Gonal F injections. Follies started growing at a whopping 0.5mm a day. Needed more injections so I bought another 2 Menopur injections. After those 2 I somehow had 1 follie big enough, the other three just vanished and I surged on my own, didn't need a trigger. So we did IUI, will find out next weekend if its a good one or not. Needless to say, my doctor says that after the way I responded so poorly to these drugs, coupled with the fact that this is my 11th IUI, if this one doesn't work he would not recommend I do another IUI right away. They do say that sometimes taking a break for a few months helps. If not, then he says its time for IVF. At $10,000 per attempt (that's all out of pocket expenses!) I really hope this last one worked!
    So, I am not a big fan of Menopur, but at the same time, had it been the first injectable we used we may have had a better response.
    Married May 29 2004

DH & I are both 28

TTC #1 since 2006
    First pregnancy May 2008, lost to nural tube defect Aug 22 2008 (Named her Mya Crystal)

IUI History:
    7 IUIs in 2008
    4 in 2009

Taking a break at the moment. Body is no longer responding to injectables so I am unable to grow follicles. Thinking long & hard about IVF...would love to do it tomorrow! But $$ is holding us back. Trying to figure out where to come up with the money to proceed with IVF.

Thanks

Your RE should know what's best for you. Did they do labs/bloodwork? My RE was the one in her group that specalized in PCOS. She did thel labs and determined by the hormone levels what I would need. It was Menopur. I did 1 1/2 vials every day for a week or so. Then 2 for a few days. I had one mature follicle, triggered, IUI and it worked on the first round. I am now a very pround Mama to a beautiful 2 month old girl.
    Karrie (31) DH (34)

Our 1st Miracle - Addisen Margaret

Our 2nd Miracle - Luke Daniel

Thanks

My last cycle I used a combo of clomid, follistim, then menopur, with the best response from menopur. I triggered with ovidrel, and got a BFP that unfortunatley ended in a m/c at about 9 weeks.

I just got AF, and this cycle the plan is to use menopur alone, which I already have and will begin on Tuesday evening. I'm praying that I will get better results with just menopur this cycle. GL to you! There is another thread about menopur on this board as well.
    "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God..." Philippians 4:6
    Jenn, DH, & DD 6
    Baby #2 m/c 3/26/09 Hidden Content
    TTC #3 - 2 Menopur cycles cancelled
    3rd cycle - 5/8/10 - BFP!!! 13DPO
    Beta #1= 229; Beta #2= 579!!!! Hidden Content
    U/S #1 = 5/24/10 - TWINS!! GOD ALWAYS ANSWERS PRAYERS!!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content