Thanks

Default HPTs: Whats wrong with "internet cheapies"?

A lot of people here mention Dollar Tree tests being the best, but there are no Dollar Trees in my area. Well, there are two (searched by zip code), but itís still not like making a quick run to the store...I would a have to travel a bit.

Years ago, I used to get the "internet cheapies" from babywishes.com and a few other places. I never got a BFP while using those tests - I got mine from First Response (classic) and Answer.

So my question is, why Dollar Tree tests as opposed to ordering them online? Are the Internet Cheapies crap? I saw a bunch on ebay and is tempted though I have one FRER, two EPT and one expired cheapie at home already.

Hidden Content
    ttc since 1999
    1 stillbirth 12/2004 at 30 weeks
    Weight Loss
    10/2005 size 14
    10/2006 size 8
    2/2007 size 6/8

Organic, whole foods, gut healing diet and excercise

No medications and Metformin resistant
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Well In my case I've gotten a false positive w/ Answer brand

and
    false negative with Equate brand, Target brand

the cheap test this 2nd time around showed up sooo faint I thought it was an evaporation line-

HPT are tricky sometimes

- Wendy -

Thanks

I got 20 "early" pregnancy tests off of ebay--I started testing with them about 10dpo last cycle and the first 5 I used, I got faint lines before the five minute window was up which threw me into a caniption--I ended up using the remainder 15 the next day all giving me the same response....I went out and bought a FRER and got a BFN I used 2 dollar store test and they were BFNs as well...AF showed up 14dpo...I dont know if what I saw was evap lines or not tho I jus think its kinda strange for all of them to have evap lines show before the 5 minutes was up...

Tahlena 34 DH 29
    DD 2.20.2009
    TTC #2
    3 cycles of Soy Isoflavones 80 mgs cd 3-7 =BFN
    Cycle 4 - 80mg of soy Isoflavones cd 5-9=???

Hidden Content

Thanks

I got a pack of the internet ones that came with a bunch of cheap ovulation predictors. It turns out I wasn't ovulating at the time, so no wonder those weren't showing anything...but the first several times they confused the fool out of me. If they ever show positive I don't know if I'll be able to tell or not.

Mommy to Kenna and Zoey Headyfeady3's Avatar
    Thanks

I just get the ones at the $tree cause if I run out and still need to test I just go to the store. I used to get the internet ones.
    Heather
    Mckenna 5/6/09 6 lbs 8 ozs 18" long
    Zoey 10/8/10 8 lbs 3 ozs 20 " long
    Ava 4/4/12 7 lbs 15 ozs 22.5 " long

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I just bought some OPK's & HPT's from Saveontests.com. I was referred there by a friend & she has had success w/ them.

I got 40 OPK & 10 HPT for $23.49. I will be using them this next cycle & hopefully I won't be disappointed.
    Me(28) <3 Hubba-Loo(28)
    Married Since: 05 Mar. 04
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Thanks ladies. I just found some FRER cheap on ebay so I will see...one of these days I will venture to the $tree and stock up Well, hopefully I will get a BFP and give the rest away.

Hidden Content
    ttc since 1999
    1 stillbirth 12/2004 at 30 weeks
    Weight Loss
    10/2005 size 14
    10/2006 size 8
    2/2007 size 6/8

Organic, whole foods, gut healing diet and excercise

No medications and Metformin resistant
    Hidden Content

Thanks

I've had luck with www.early-pregnancy-tests.com I used the OPK last month and although I didn't get pregnant, it did show a positive at the right time. I also use their HPT's (the test sticks) and got an early positive when I was pregnant with my son and have never had a false positive (and I test a lot!!!) Good luck!

Thanks

I too bought tests from early pregnancy tests.com and I had tons of false positives...I test from Trigger - wait a couple of days and test again starting 8dpo to watch trigger + disappear and hopefully watch true ++ appear but I did 7 IUI cycles for DS and 8 IUI cycles for this pg and I tested at least 2 false positives each BFN cycle...yes, those tests are cheap but they did more damage to me than spending extra money would have...

Annie

Thanks

Yes, I suppose it might depend on it you were using fertility meds/hormones or not. Without them, they worked just fine for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 484 Posts

I kinda suspect the main difference lies in packaging. The ones you get from the internet are in boring white plasticy envelopes with very generic looking instructions on them. The ones you get at dollar stores are packaged a little more elaborately.

When I was in college I stole a box of 25 pregnancy tests from the health center and they were all in the exact same sort of boring envelope internet tests come in. It's assumed these sort of tests will be used by health professionals buying in bulk who don't need elaborate instructions with each and every test. Instead there was one detailed instruction sheet in the box with all the tests. The dollar tree stores, they assume will be a one-time thing by one woman who may need more detailed instructions as well as who likes a somewhat prettier package. Not that dollar store tests are very flashy, but flashier than a boring white envelope! (A comparison - does any one remember there being as "generic aisle" in their grocery store when they were kids? EVERYTHING was black and white and said things like "chocolate chip cookies" or "green beans." Now there is no generic, only "store brand" with pseudo-brand names like "food club" or "sunny select" and there are pictures on the packaging and so forth. Even on the cheap, people want their goods to look interesting. Now dollar tests are store brand and internet tests are generic )

Anyway that's my guess. I think they are the same test but aimed at different markets.

FWIW I have never gotten a false negative or a false positive on an internet test. And the tests I stole from student health were always negative UNTIL I got pregnant with my son, which happened about 1 1/2 years after I stole the tests and right at the expiration date to boot. So personally, I trust cheap tests, regardless of the source. I think there will be issues with bad batches now and then but this could happen with any test... any product for that matter.
    "Laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose -
    Every way you look at it, you lose."
    - Simon & Garfunkel

Thanks

I started another thread awhile back related to this...
    http://www.soulcysters.net/has-anyon...egnant-201153/